Re: Sending of message failed. Check your temporary directory setting - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Sending of message failed. Check your temporary directory setting - Mozilla ; On Feb 23, 10:23 pm, Blinky the Shark wrote: > Ron K. wrote: > > FTR keyboarded, On 2/23/2008 1:58 PM : > >> Ron K. wrote: > >>> FTR keyboarded, On 2/20/2008 12:03 PM : > >>>> I try ...

  1. Re: Sending of message failed. Check your temporary directory setting

    On Feb 23, 10:23 pm, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    > > FTR keyboarded, On 2/23/2008 1:58 PM :

    While I definitely agree that we should keep this in mind in naming
    files, the fact is that OSes/filesystems do allow spaces in filenames
    and IMHO, e-mail cilents and internet clients alike should deal with
    these filenames properly...

    Is there no other solution to this problem other than "don't use
    spaces"?

    Shouldn't Thunderbird be able to deal with the encoded %20 filename?
    Is it Windows, Thunderbird, Firefox [who called the adobe plugin], or
    Adobe plugin [who saved the file in the temporary directory] who isn't
    following standards?

    Or is it that there just aren't any standards, so we really do have to
    stick to the "no spaces in filenames" rule?

    Just curious, as I typically don't use spaces in filenames but just
    downloaded one and ran into this problem for the first time.
    Thanks for the helpful information, though!

  2. Re: Sending of message failed. Check your temporary directory setting

    ferfong keyboarded, On 2/27/2008 1:59 PM :
    > On Feb 23, 10:23 pm, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> FTR keyboarded, On 2/23/2008 1:58 PM :

    > While I definitely agree that we should keep this in mind in naming
    > files, the fact is that OSes/filesystems do allow spaces in filenames
    > and IMHO, e-mail cilents and internet clients alike should deal with
    > these filenames properly...
    >
    > Is there no other solution to this problem other than "don't use
    > spaces"?
    >
    > Shouldn't Thunderbird be able to deal with the encoded %20 filename?
    > Is it Windows, Thunderbird, Firefox [who called the adobe plugin], or
    > Adobe plugin [who saved the file in the temporary directory] who isn't
    > following standards?
    >
    > Or is it that there just aren't any standards, so we really do have to
    > stick to the "no spaces in filenames" rule?
    >
    > Just curious, as I typically don't use spaces in filenames but just
    > downloaded one and ran into this problem for the first time.
    > Thanks for the helpful information, though!

    There are not any standards I am aware of for how the OS encodes spaces
    in file names. Prior to the Windows NT family of OS's, spaces were
    illegal in DOS. As for the internet, there are standards, and since
    adoption of the UNICODE font standard, internet software vendors,
    including all the Mozilla products, the use of the %20 encoding resolves
    the issue within the internet.

    When I switched from DOS based Windows ME to Vista I still observe the
    DOS file naming limitations. Untill I can see proof that Vista properly
    encode spaces in an internet friendly way I will promote the old
    solution as a fail safe method.

    --
    Ron K.