TB will not trigger browser to open links - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB will not trigger browser to open links - Mozilla ; I have two profiles, default and test. default has fewer add-ons than test, and every add-on that's in default is in test. When I click a link in test, it triggers Firefox to visit the addressed page. When I click ...

  1. TB will not trigger browser to open links

    I have two profiles, default and test.

    default has fewer add-ons than test, and every add-on that's in default
    is in test.

    When I click a link in test, it triggers Firefox to visit the addressed
    page. When I click a link in default, nothing happens.

    Where could the problem lie?

    This is Win XP Pro SP2, latest TB.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    To be able under all circumstances to practice five things constitutes
    perfect virtue; these five things are gravity, generosity of soul,
    sincerity, earnestness and kindness....
    --Confucius

  2. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I have two profiles, default and test.
    >
    > default has fewer add-ons than test, and every add-on that's in default
    > is in test.
    >
    > When I click a link in test, it triggers Firefox to visit the addressed
    > page. When I click a link in default, nothing happens.
    >
    > Where could the problem lie?
    >
    > This is Win XP Pro SP2, latest TB.

    Well, when you say latest TB, you could be more specific. From your headers I see 2.0.0.6
    Anyhow, since your problem seems to be profile specific, it would follow that something in the default profile
    is telling TB to use something other than your default browser to open links.
    That could be in a file named mimeTypes.rdf in that profile thats giving you the problem.
    (My guess is that you used a trunk build using that profile.)
    Anyway, it is one of those files that is re-created automatically if you delete the file. So either delete it in
    the offending profile, or copy the file from the good profile to the bad one.
    But be aware that any automatic actions that you have previously selected for opening attachments will have to be
    re-selected.

    JoeS

  3. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:10:14 -0500, in message news:mailman.529.1203286227.3376.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
    Pete Holsberg wrote:

    > Gecko/20070326 Thunderbird/2.0.0.6

    > I have two profiles, default and test.
    >
    > default has fewer add-ons than test, and every add-on that's in default
    > is in test.
    >
    > When I click a link in test, it triggers Firefox to visit the addressed
    > page. When I click a link in default, nothing happens.
    >
    > Where could the problem lie?
    >
    > This is Win XP Pro SP2, latest TB.

    Go to: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    and compare the following preference settings between the two profiles

    network.protocol-handler.external-default
    network.protocol-handler.external.http

    You want to change the misbehaving profile to have the same settings
    as the correctly-behaving profile.

    A. To change a value from true to false or vice versa, double-click
    the line.
    B. To remove a setting from the misbehaving profile, right-click
    and choose 'Reset'.

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph

  4. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    Ralph Fox has written on 2/18/2008 2:24 AM:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:10:14 -0500, in message news:mailman.529.1203286227.3376.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:

    >> Gecko/20070326 Thunderbird/2.0.0.6

    Don't know why it says 2.0.0.6 as I have 2.0.0.9!
    > You want to change the misbehaving profile to have the same settings
    > as the correctly-behaving profile.
    >
    > A. To change a value from true to false or vice versa, double-click
    > the line.
    > B. To remove a setting from the misbehaving profile, right-click
    > and choose 'Reset'

    That did it! Thanks.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Maxim for the Internet Age: The e-mail of the species is deadlier than
    the mail...

  5. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:10:14 -0500, in message news:mailman.529.1203286227.3376.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:

    >> Gecko/20070326 Thunderbird/2.0.0.6

    >> I have two profiles, default and test.
    >>
    >> default has fewer add-ons than test, and every add-on that's in default
    >> is in test.
    >>
    >> When I click a link in test, it triggers Firefox to visit the addressed
    >> page. When I click a link in default, nothing happens.
    >>
    >> Where could the problem lie?
    >>
    >> This is Win XP Pro SP2, latest TB.

    > Go to: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    > and compare the following preference settings between the two profiles
    >
    > network.protocol-handler.external-default
    > network.protocol-handler.external.http
    >
    > You want to change the misbehaving profile to have the same settings
    > as the correctly-behaving profile.
    >
    > A. To change a value from true to false or vice versa, double-click
    > the line.
    > B. To remove a setting from the misbehaving profile, right-click
    > and choose 'Reset'.

    And what do I do with no ....external.http entry, it isn't that it is
    without a value, it just isn't there. I don't have any of the problems
    address here, but it seems odd that the entry is missing all together.

  6. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    Don Nickell has written on 2/18/2008 12:13 PM:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> Go to: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    >> and compare the following preference settings between the two profiles
    >>
    >> network.protocol-handler.external-default
    >> network.protocol-handler.external.http
    >>
    >> You want to change the misbehaving profile to have the same settings
    >> as the correctly-behaving profile.
    >>
    >> A. To change a value from true to false or vice versa, double-click
    >> the line.
    >> B. To remove a setting from the misbehaving profile, right-click
    >> and choose 'Reset'.
    >>

    > And what do I do with no ....external.http entry, it isn't that it is
    > without a value, it just isn't there. I don't have any of the problems
    > address here, but it seems odd that the entry is missing all together.

    You can add them, both false.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Maxim for the Internet Age: A journey of a thousand sites begins with a
    single click...

  7. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Don Nickell has written on 2/18/2008 12:13 PM:
    >> Ralph Fox wrote:
    >>> Go to: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    >>> and compare the following preference settings between the two profiles
    >>>
    >>> network.protocol-handler.external-default
    >>> network.protocol-handler.external.http
    >>>
    >>> You want to change the misbehaving profile to have the same settings
    >>> as the correctly-behaving profile.
    >>>
    >>> A. To change a value from true to false or vice versa, double-click
    >>> the line.
    >>> B. To remove a setting from the misbehaving profile, right-click
    >>> and choose 'Reset'.
    >>>

    >> And what do I do with no ....external.http entry, it isn't that it is
    >> without a value, it just isn't there. I don't have any of the problems
    >> address here, but it seems odd that the entry is missing all together.

    > You can add them, both false.

    Thanks Pete, added; but I don't know why, just following the crowd. ;-)

  8. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:10:14 -0500, in message news:mailman.529.1203286227.3376.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:

    >> Gecko/20070326 Thunderbird/2.0.0.6

    >> I have two profiles, default and test.
    >>
    >> default has fewer add-ons than test, and every add-on that's in default
    >> is in test.
    >>
    >> When I click a link in test, it triggers Firefox to visit the addressed
    >> page. When I click a link in default, nothing happens.
    >>
    >> Where could the problem lie?
    >>
    >> This is Win XP Pro SP2, latest TB.

    > Go to: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    > and compare the following preference settings between the two profiles
    >
    > network.protocol-handler.external-default
    > network.protocol-handler.external.http
    >
    > You want to change the misbehaving profile to have the same settings
    > as the correctly-behaving profile.
    >
    > A. To change a value from true to false or vice versa, double-click
    > the line.
    > B. To remove a setting from the misbehaving profile, right-click
    > and choose 'Reset'.

    I recently did a clean install of Firefox 2.0.0.12 and Thunderbird
    2.0.0.12 (that is, copied address books, bookmarks, passwords, etc. then
    uninstalled, deleted profiles, and reinstalled, then copied back address
    books, bookmarks, passwords, etc.) and am having the same issues. I did
    not have the network.protocol-handler.external.http entry, as someone
    else noted, so I added it. I've gone through all four permutations of
    these two boolean values and links do not work. I've seen nothing else
    cause problems in Firefox or Thunderbird. Quite frustrating, any other
    ideas?

  9. Re: TB will not trigger browser to open links

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:59:21 -0700, in message ,
    Charles Morison wrote:

    > I recently did a clean install of Firefox 2.0.0.12 and Thunderbird
    > 2.0.0.12 (that is, copied address books, bookmarks, passwords, etc. then
    > uninstalled, deleted profiles, and reinstalled, then copied back address
    > books, bookmarks, passwords, etc.) and am having the same issues. I did
    > not have the network.protocol-handler.external.http entry, as someone
    > else noted, so I added it.

    In my experience, that has not been a good idea.

    > I've gone through all four permutations of
    > these two boolean values and links do not work. I've seen nothing else
    > cause problems in Firefox or Thunderbird. Quite frustrating, any other
    > ideas?

    I have found that the best settings for me are

    (1) network.protocol-handler.external-default set to true
    (2) network.protocol-handler.external.http not present at all

    Others'MMV

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph