Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachments in. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachments in. - Mozilla ; What is the general wisdom for exporting messages (with attachments) from Outlook? It's a no-brainer to create a .csv file in Outlook, but I haven't figured out how to include the attached files. Is it even possible? At this time ...

  1. Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachments in.

    What is the general wisdom for exporting messages (with attachments)
    from Outlook? It's a no-brainer to create a .csv file in Outlook, but I
    haven't figured out how to include the attached files. Is it even possible?

    At this time I've got about 100 messages that need to move to TB2.
    Every one of them have one or more attachments.

  2. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachmentsin.

    On 17.02.2008 19:22 »Gnus2Me« wrote
    > What is the general wisdom for exporting messages (with attachments)
    > from Outlook? It's a no-brainer to create a .csv file in Outlook, but I
    > haven't figured out how to include the attached files. Is it even
    > possible?
    >
    > At this time I've got about 100 messages that need to move to TB2. Every
    > one of them have one or more attachments.

    Do you have access to an IMAP based provider?
    You can move the msg w Att to the IMAP server out of OL.
    Than access it with TB and pull it over to your Local Folder
    No pain!
    Günter

  3. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachments in.

    On Feb 17, 12:51 pm, gNeandr wrote:
    > On 17.02.2008 19:22 »Gnus2Me« wrote> What is the general wisdom for exporting messages (with attachments)
    > > from Outlook? It's a no-brainer to create a .csv file in Outlook, but I
    > > haven't figured out how to include the attached files. Is it even
    > > possible?

    > > At this time I've got about 100 messages that need to move to TB2. Every
    > > one of them have one or more attachments.

    > Do you have access to an IMAP based provider?
    > You can move the msg w Att to the IMAP server out of OL.
    > Than access it with TB and pull it over to your Local Folder
    > No pain!
    > Günter

    I don't have an IMAP account, but thanks for that idea. However, I
    did figure out that all I had to do was to use OE to import the
    Outlook messages, then do an automated import of the new OE messages
    into TB2. That did the trick, and the process was easy enough.

    Notably missing in Thunderbird's migration tools: a streamlined .PST
    handler. The method to make the jump to Thunderbird should be much
    more transparent.

    Again, thanks for the help.

  4. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachments in.

    On 17 Feb, 23:23, gNeandr wrote:
    > On 18.02.2008 00:17 »Gnus2Me« wrote
    >
    > > Notably missing in Thunderbird's migration tools: *a streamlined .PST
    > > handler.

    > Did you ever heard about that owner company of the .PST definition?
    > If yes, than you could find someone to write that code

    If I am not mistaken, Outlook can be instantiated as a COM object with
    some functions to deal with the messages. Couldn't Thunderbird create
    an Outlook COM object instance and use it to transfer the e-mails?

  5. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachmentsin.

    On 18.02.2008 13:23 »Tlis« wrote

    >> Did you ever heard about that owner company of the .PST definition?
    >> If yes, than you could find someone to write that code

    > If I am not mistaken, Outlook can be instantiated as a COM object with
    > some functions to deal with the messages. Couldn't Thunderbird create
    > an Outlook COM object instance and use it to transfer the e-mails?

    Not sure, but the same comment here as above. It's all about 'openness'
    of such things. Did you ever saw doc about that 'COM' object with
    description of 'some functions to deal with the messages'??

    Also not sure if the MOZ world does anything with 'COM' ??!

  6. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachmentsin.

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > What is the general wisdom for exporting messages (with attachments)
    > from Outlook? It's a no-brainer to create a .csv file in Outlook, but I
    > haven't figured out how to include the attached files. Is it even
    > possible?
    >
    > At this time I've got about 100 messages that need to move to TB2. Every
    > one of them have one or more attachments.

    Thunderbird has the import option to import from Outlook. Did you try that?

  7. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachments in.

    On 18 Feb, 13:36, gNeandr wrote:
    > On 18.02.2008 13:23 »Tlis« wrote
    >
    > >> Did you ever heard about that owner company of the .PST definition?
    > >> If yes, than you could find someone to write that code

    > > If I am not mistaken, Outlook can be instantiated as a COM object with
    > > some functions to deal with the messages. Couldn't Thunderbird create
    > > an Outlook COM object instance and use it to transfer the e-mails?

    > Not sure, but the same comment here as above. It's all about 'openness'
    > of such things. Did you ever saw doc about that 'COM' object with
    > description of 'some functions to deal with the messages'??
    >
    > Also not sure if the MOZ world does anything with 'COM' ??!

    To be honest, I don't know for sure. I just remember having played
    with some 'unknown' COM objects. There are tools available to get the
    public interface of a COM object. One of them is designed in Python -
    the makepy tool generates a Python module with all the methods
    properly exposed. Knowing what Outlook does (in general) I think it
    could be quite possible to learn about the Outlook COM object
    interface as well.

    As to whether the MOZ world uses COM or not? Hmm... I believe it could
    try. Since Thunderbird would then be operating on a system already
    having Outlook installed, there are no licensing issues.

  8. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachmentsin.

    On 19.02.2008 12:31 »Tlis« wrote
    > As to whether the MOZ world uses COM or not? Hmm... I believe it could
    > try. Since Thunderbird would then be operating on a system already
    > having Outlook installed, there are no licensing issues.

    Think that's the point: As to whether the MOZ world uses COM or not?
    I understood: NO

    Does anybody have a positive answer for this ??

  9. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachmentsin.

    On 17.02.2008 19:22 »Gnus2Me« wrote
    > What is the general wisdom for exporting messages (with attachments)
    > from Outlook? It's a no-brainer to create a .csv file in Outlook, but I
    > haven't figured out how to include the attached files. Is it even
    > possible?
    >
    > At this time I've got about 100 messages that need to move to TB2. Every
    > one of them have one or more attachments.

    Here is an answer which maybe help for contacts and calendar:

    To "Escape" from Outlook mainly needs to have the "Contacts" and the
    "Calendar" available for your new applications, like
    Thunderbird/Addressbook or calendar programs like
    "ReminderFox" http://reminderfox.mozdev.org/index.html
    or the Thunderbird companion "Lightning".

    Here is a utility I have written some times ago to read the Outlook PST
    files and extracts data and converts to open formats:

    Contacts --> LDIF format,
    can be imported into Thunderbird/Addressbook with standard menu usage

    Calendar --> ICS format,
    which can be widely imported with different calendars.

    The utility runs in the Windows environment (ONLY!!!), needs the
    installed Outlook (also it's not necessary to have it open) and is
    compatible with (at least) MS Outlook 2003.

    First download the instructions to understand what's going on:
    http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/...om_Outlook.pdf

    then grap the utility:
    http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/...IMescapeOL.ZIP

    Enjoy!
    Feedback welcomed
    Günter

  10. Re: Outlook export to Thunderbird - Trouble bringing attachments in.

    On Feb 17, 6:17 pm, Gnus2Me <0eyf-0...@xemaps.com> wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 12:51 pm, gNeandr wrote:
    >
    > > On 17.02.2008 19:22 »Gnus2Me« wrote> What is the general wisdom for exporting messages (with attachments)
    > > > from Outlook? It's a no-brainer to create a .csv file in Outlook, butI
    > > > haven't figured out how to include the attached files. Is it even
    > > > possible?

    > > > At this time I've got about 100 messages that need to move to TB2. Every
    > > > one of them have one or more attachments.

    > > Do you have access to an IMAP based provider?
    > > You can move the msg w Att to the IMAP server out of OL.
    > > Than access it with TB and pull it over to your Local Folder
    > > No pain!
    > > Günter

    > I don't have an IMAP account, but thanks for that idea. However, I
    > did figure out that all I had to do was to use OE to import the
    > Outlook messages, then do an automated import of the new OE messages
    > into TB2. That did the trick, and the process was easy enough.
    >
    > Notably missing in Thunderbird's migration tools: a streamlined .PST
    > handler. The method to make the jump to Thunderbird should be much
    > more transparent.
    >
    > Again, thanks for the help.

    Thanks for this, I will give it a try.

    PS: I found this password recovery tool, handy for getting the
    accounts migrated when you don't have the password >>
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

+ Reply to Thread