How to add more headers in Compose window? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to add more headers in Compose window? - Mozilla ; The 'mnenhy' add-on lets me add more headers that will be displayed in the header section in the message view pane. However, when composing an new post or even an email, how could I add more headers than the minimal ...

  1. How to add more headers in Compose window?

    The 'mnenhy' add-on lets me add more headers that will be displayed in
    the header section in the message view pane. However, when composing
    an new post or even an email, how could I add more headers than the
    minimal default set of headers currently presented by the Compose
    window? Any add-ons to allow specifying what additional headers to
    include everytime the Compose window is open whereupon I choose if and
    what values to put in them. Some I would want to add on-the-fly.
    Some I want added to every email or post.

  2. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    On 2/12/08 4:54 AM, _VanguardLH_ spoke thusly:
    > The 'mnenhy' add-on lets me add more headers that will be displayed in
    > the header section in the message view pane. However, when composing an
    > new post or even an email, how could I add more headers than the minimal
    > default set of headers currently presented by the Compose window? Any
    > add-ons to allow specifying what additional headers to include everytime
    > the Compose window is open whereupon I choose if and what values to put
    > in them. Some I would want to add on-the-fly. Some I want added to
    > every email or post.

    In an earlier message, you said that you have the Mnenhy add-on,
    correct? This can be done easily with Mnenhy:

    1. At the top of the Thunderbird Mail & Newsgroups window, click on the
    "Tools" menu, and select "Add-ons". The Add-ons window should open.

    2. In the Add-ons window, select the "Extensions" icon, if it is not
    already selected. In the list of extensions, select Mnenhy, and click on
    "Options" to open the Mnenhy options window.

    3. In the Mnenhy options window, select the "Custom Headers" panel, to
    display the custom header options.

    4. At the top of the Custom Headers panel click on the drop-down menu,
    and select "Composition".

    5. You can then check mark each header you want to be available in the
    composition window.
    --
    Chris Ilias

  3. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 2/12/08 4:54 AM, _VanguardLH_ spoke thusly:
    >> The 'mnenhy' add-on lets me add more headers that will be displayed in
    >> the header section in the message view pane. However, when composing
    >> an new post or even an email, how could I add more headers than the
    >> minimal default set of headers currently presented by the Compose
    >> window? Any add-ons to allow specifying what additional headers to
    >> include everytime the Compose window is open whereupon I choose if and
    >> what values to put in them. Some I would want to add on-the-fly. Some
    >> I want added to every email or post.

    > In an earlier message, you said that you have the Mnenhy add-on,
    > correct? This can be done easily with Mnenhy:
    >
    > 1. At the top of the Thunderbird Mail & Newsgroups window, click on the
    > "Tools" menu, and select "Add-ons". The Add-ons window should open.
    >
    > 2. In the Add-ons window, select the "Extensions" icon, if it is not
    > already selected. In the list of extensions, select Mnenhy, and click on
    > "Options" to open the Mnenhy options window.
    >
    > 3. In the Mnenhy options window, select the "Custom Headers" panel, to
    > display the custom header options.
    >
    > 4. At the top of the Custom Headers panel click on the drop-down menu,
    > and select "Composition".
    >
    > 5. You can then check mark each header you want to be available in the
    > composition window.

    Chris, what version are you using?

    With 0.7.5.666 there is no way to do as you note above. Primarily I don't
    find a *Custom Headers Options* nor the *Composition* that you speak of. I
    just checked for updates and found I'm using the latest. I'd like to do as
    the OP noted so please clarify your instructions.

    The routine I have to use is: Tools/Extensions/Options and after checking
    *Custon Headers* the panel pulldown only shows *Mnenhy/Version History*.

  4. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    On 2/12/08 12:42 PM, _Don Nickell_ spoke thusly:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> 1. At the top of the Thunderbird Mail & Newsgroups window, click on
    >> the "Tools" menu, and select "Add-ons". The Add-ons window should open.
    >>
    >> 2. In the Add-ons window, select the "Extensions" icon, if it is not
    >> already selected. In the list of extensions, select Mnenhy, and click
    >> on "Options" to open the Mnenhy options window.
    >>
    >> 3. In the Mnenhy options window, select the "Custom Headers" panel, to
    >> display the custom header options.
    >>
    >> 4. At the top of the Custom Headers panel click on the drop-down menu,
    >> and select "Composition".
    >>
    >> 5. You can then check mark each header you want to be available in the
    >> composition window.

    > Chris, what version are you using?
    >
    > With 0.7.5.666 there is no way to do as you note above. Primarily I
    > don't find a *Custom Headers Options* nor the *Composition* that you
    > speak of. I just checked for updates and found I'm using the latest.
    > I'd like to do as the OP noted so please clarify your instructions.
    >
    > The routine I have to use is: Tools/Extensions/Options and after
    > checking *Custon Headers* the panel pulldown only shows *Mnenhy/Version
    > History*.

    You need to select the Custom Header panel, on the left pane.
    See [358K]
    --
    Chris Ilias

  5. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 2/12/08 12:42 PM, _Don Nickell_ spoke thusly:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> 1. At the top of the Thunderbird Mail & Newsgroups window, click on
    >>> the "Tools" menu, and select "Add-ons". The Add-ons window should open.
    >>>
    >>> 2. In the Add-ons window, select the "Extensions" icon, if it is not
    >>> already selected. In the list of extensions, select Mnenhy, and click
    >>> on "Options" to open the Mnenhy options window.
    >>>
    >>> 3. In the Mnenhy options window, select the "Custom Headers" panel,
    >>> to display the custom header options.
    >>>
    >>> 4. At the top of the Custom Headers panel click on the drop-down
    >>> menu, and select "Composition".
    >>>
    >>> 5. You can then check mark each header you want to be available in
    >>> the composition window.

    >> Chris, what version are you using?
    >>
    >> With 0.7.5.666 there is no way to do as you note above. Primarily I
    >> don't find a *Custom Headers Options* nor the *Composition* that you
    >> speak of. I just checked for updates and found I'm using the latest.
    >> I'd like to do as the OP noted so please clarify your instructions.
    >>
    >> The routine I have to use is: Tools/Extensions/Options and after
    >> checking *Custon Headers* the panel pulldown only shows
    >> *Mnenhy/Version History*.

    > You need to select the Custom Header panel, on the left pane.
    > See [358K]

    I repeated the process and this time there was a Custom Header option on
    the left pane...hmmm, don't see how I could have missed it the first time.

    But now I'm in trouble because I accidentally clicked on *show all* and
    have lost all control over the headers, and there is no [+] that opens the
    options. How the devil do I get that back?

    Not only that but using Mnenhy's Options all the options are grayed out and
    I don't know how to restore them Can you come over to my house and
    straighten this thing out? ;-)

  6. Re: (OT) How to add more headers in Compose window?

    Don Nickell wrote:

    > I repeated the process and this time there was a Custom Header option on
    > the left pane...hmmm, don't see how I could have missed it the first time.
    >
    > But now I'm in trouble because I accidentally clicked on *show all* and
    > have lost all control over the headers, and there is no [+] that opens
    > the options. How the devil do I get that back?
    >
    > Not only that but using Mnenhy's Options all the options are grayed out
    > and I don't know how to restore them Can you come over to my house and
    > straighten this thing out? ;-)

    Forget it Chris, I did a System Restore and TB is back to normal. :-(

  7. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    "Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    news:vKidnUIbzemtUizanZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 2/12/08 4:54 AM, _VanguardLH_ spoke thusly:
    >> The 'mnenhy' add-on lets me add more headers that will be displayed
    >> in the header section in the message view pane. However, when
    >> composing an new post or even an email, how could I add more
    >> headers than the minimal default set of headers currently presented
    >> by the Compose window? Any add-ons to allow specifying what
    >> additional headers to include everytime the Compose window is open
    >> whereupon I choose if and what values to put in them. Some I would
    >> want to add on-the-fly. Some I want added to every email or post.

    > In an earlier message, you said that you have the Mnenhy add-on,
    > correct? This can be done easily with Mnenhy:
    >
    > 1. At the top of the Thunderbird Mail & Newsgroups window, click on
    > the "Tools" menu, and select "Add-ons". The Add-ons window should
    > open.
    >
    > 2. In the Add-ons window, select the "Extensions" icon, if it is not
    > already selected. In the list of extensions, select Mnenhy, and
    > click on "Options" to open the Mnenhy options window.
    >
    > 3. In the Mnenhy options window, select the "Custom Headers" panel,
    > to display the custom header options.
    >

    > 4. At the top of the Custom Headers panel click on the drop-down
    > menu, and select "Composition".
    >
    > 5. You can then check mark each header you want to be available in
    > the composition window.

    Thanks. I didn't think to use the drop-down listbox to switch to
    "Composition".

  8. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > "Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    > news:vKidnUIbzemtUizanZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> On 2/12/08 4:54 AM, _VanguardLH_ spoke thusly:
    >>> The 'mnenhy' add-on lets me add more headers that will be displayed
    >>> in the header section in the message view pane. However, when
    >>> composing an new post or even an email, how could I add more headers
    >>> than the minimal default set of headers currently presented by the
    >>> Compose window? Any add-ons to allow specifying what additional
    >>> headers to include everytime the Compose window is open whereupon I
    >>> choose if and what values to put in them. Some I would want to add
    >>> on-the-fly. Some I want added to every email or post.

    >> In an earlier message, you said that you have the Mnenhy add-on,
    >> correct? This can be done easily with Mnenhy:
    >>
    >> 1. At the top of the Thunderbird Mail & Newsgroups window, click on
    >> the "Tools" menu, and select "Add-ons". The Add-ons window should open.
    >>
    >> 2. In the Add-ons window, select the "Extensions" icon, if it is not
    >> already selected. In the list of extensions, select Mnenhy, and click
    >> on "Options" to open the Mnenhy options window.
    >>
    >> 3. In the Mnenhy options window, select the "Custom Headers" panel, to
    >> display the custom header options.
    >>

    >> 4. At the top of the Custom Headers panel click on the drop-down menu,
    >> and select "Composition".
    >>
    >> 5. You can then check mark each header you want to be available in the
    >> composition window.

    > Thanks. I didn't think to use the drop-down listbox to switch to
    > "Composition".

    I've done all that but still when I click on the [+] symbol all I see is a
    pulldown list with a "menu" of 7 items:
    Greyed out is: Inline (All Only), (That got me in trouble before)
    Checked is: Brief,
    Blank for: None
    Normal
    All
    Black dot: Extended Normal View (which I'd hoped to see and opted for)
    Customize

    Same question goes unanswered: what do I have to do to see those headers
    when I click on the [+] symbol?

  9. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    The date and time was 2/13/2008 8:34 AM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> "Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    >> news:vKidnUIbzemtUizanZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> On 2/12/08 4:54 AM, _VanguardLH_ spoke thusly:
    >>> In an earlier message, you said that you have the Mnenhy add-on,
    >>> correct? This can be done easily with Mnenhy:
    >>>
    >>> 1. At the top of the Thunderbird Mail & Newsgroups window, click on
    >>> the "Tools" menu, and select "Add-ons". The Add-ons window should open.
    >>>
    >>> 2. In the Add-ons window, select the "Extensions" icon, if it is not
    >>> already selected. In the list of extensions, select Mnenhy, and click
    >>> on "Options" to open the Mnenhy options window.
    >>>
    >>> 3. In the Mnenhy options window, select the "Custom Headers" panel, to
    >>> display the custom header options.
    >>>

    >>> 4. At the top of the Custom Headers panel click on the drop-down menu,
    >>> and select "Composition".
    >>>
    >>> 5. You can then check mark each header you want to be available in the
    >>> composition window.

    >> Thanks. I didn't think to use the drop-down listbox to switch to
    >> "Composition".

    > I've done all that but still when I click on the [+] symbol all I see is a
    > pulldown list with a "menu" of 7 items:
    > Greyed out is: Inline (All Only), (That got me in trouble before)
    > Checked is: Brief,
    > Blank for: None
    > Normal
    > All
    > Black dot: Extended Normal View (which I'd hoped to see and opted for)
    > Customize
    >
    > Same question goes unanswered: what do I have to do to see those headers
    > when I click on the [+] symbol?

    See my answer in your other post. You need to click the "Add list"
    button and create a custom view (Name it Don's).

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 2/13/2008 8:34 AM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>> "Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    >>> news:vKidnUIbzemtUizanZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Thanks. I didn't think to use the drop-down listbox to switch to
    >>> "Composition".

    >> I've done all that but still when I click on the [+] symbol all I see
    >> is a pulldown list with a "menu" of 7 items:
    >> Greyed out is: Inline (All Only), (That got me in trouble before)
    >> Checked is: Brief,
    >> Blank for: None
    >> Normal
    >> All
    >> Black dot: Extended Normal View (which I'd hoped to see and opted for)
    >> Customize
    >>
    >> Same question goes unanswered: what do I have to do to see those
    >> headers when I click on the [+] symbol?

    > See my answer in your other post. You need to click the "Add list"
    > button and create a custom view (Name it Don's).

    Sorry Terry, but that didn't seem to work. As you say I renamed the
    Extended...List to Don, OKed out and Closed/Opened TB but no change other
    than the Black dot is now beside "Don", in fact I performed the exercise 3
    times and now have 3 "Don" entries and no "Extended Normal View" entry.

    Are we getting somewhere or not? ;-)

  11. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    The date and time was 2/13/2008 9:44 AM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 2/13/2008 8:34 AM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> I've done all that but still when I click on the [+] symbol all I see
    >>> is a pulldown list with a "menu" of 7 items:
    >>> Greyed out is: Inline (All Only), (That got me in trouble before)
    >>> Checked is: Brief,
    >>> Blank for: None
    >>> Normal
    >>> All
    >>> Black dot: Extended Normal View (which I'd hoped to see and opted for)
    >>> Customize
    >>>
    >>> Same question goes unanswered: what do I have to do to see those
    >>> headers when I click on the [+] symbol?

    >> See my answer in your other post. You need to click the "Add list"
    >> button and create a custom view (Name it Don's).
    >>

    > Sorry Terry, but that didn't seem to work. As you say I renamed the
    > Extended...List to Don, OKed out and Closed/Opened TB but no change other
    > than the Black dot is now beside "Don", in fact I performed the exercise 3
    > times and now have 3 "Don" entries and no "Extended Normal View" entry.
    >
    > Are we getting somewhere or not? ;-)

    I wouldn't have renamed any default names. When you create a new list,
    are you checking what boxes you want in the header area?

    --
    Terry R.

  12. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 2/13/2008 9:44 AM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> The date and time was 2/13/2008 8:34 AM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> See my answer in your other post. You need to click the "Add list"
    >>> button and create a custom view (Name it Don's).
    >>>

    >> Sorry Terry, but that didn't seem to work. As you say I renamed the
    >> Extended...List to Don, OKed out and Closed/Opened TB but no change
    >> other than the Black dot is now beside "Don", in fact I performed the
    >> exercise 3 times and now have 3 "Don" entries and no "Extended Normal
    >> View" entry.
    >>
    >> Are we getting somewhere or not? ;-)

    > I wouldn't have renamed any default names. When you create a new list,
    > are you checking what boxes you want in the header area?

    Well whatever I feel I understand now. I would like to ask a general
    question though. It seems to me that earlier TB versions didn't require
    all this messing around but would simply open/close Header viewing as a
    toggle. Is that correct or have I forgotten what I knew?

  13. Re: How to add more headers in Compose window?

    The date and time was 2/13/2008 8:18 PM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 2/13/2008 9:44 AM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Sorry Terry, but that didn't seem to work. As you say I renamed the
    >>> Extended...List to Don, OKed out and Closed/Opened TB but no change
    >>> other than the Black dot is now beside "Don", in fact I performed the
    >>> exercise 3 times and now have 3 "Don" entries and no "Extended Normal
    >>> View" entry.
    >>>
    >>> Are we getting somewhere or not? ;-)

    >> I wouldn't have renamed any default names. When you create a new list,
    >> are you checking what boxes you want in the header area?
    >>

    > Well whatever I feel I understand now. I would like to ask a general
    > question though. It seems to me that earlier TB versions didn't require
    > all this messing around but would simply open/close Header viewing as a
    > toggle. Is that correct or have I forgotten what I knew?

    For the default headers and views, I think so. But using Mnenhy hasn't
    changed for the custom views. I think since we don't use it often, we
    forget how it works and that's where the problems start...

    --
    Terry R.