Un-underlining threads - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Un-underlining threads - Mozilla ; Hi All. Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups? I believe these were automatically attached when I viewed a thread. Now that I am no longer interested in it, I'd like to take ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Un-underlining threads

  1. Un-underlining threads

    Hi All.

    Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?

    I believe these were automatically attached when I viewed a thread. Now
    that I am no longer interested in it, I'd like to take them off as they
    are distracting.

    I primarily use that gold star to keep track of threads. Am I correct in
    thinking that it is primarily this underline and the star that help you
    keep track of these things?

    Also, anyway to set a default to view by date but throw all the current
    starred items at the bottom or top by order of date yet or is there?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan

  2. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Jonathan wrote:
    > Hi All.
    >
    > Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?
    >
    > I believe these were automatically attached when I viewed a thread. Now
    > that I am no longer interested in it, I'd like to take them off as they
    > are distracting.
    >
    > I primarily use that gold star to keep track of threads. Am I correct in
    > thinking that it is primarily this underline and the star that help you
    > keep track of these things?
    >
    > Also, anyway to set a default to view by date but throw all the current
    > starred items at the bottom or top by order of date yet or is there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jonathan



    The default highlighting mechanism for collapsed
    threads that contain an unread message is to underline it.


    So to UN -underline them you have several options

    read the unread messages in the thread
    OR
    uncollapse the thread (shift 8 is uncollapse all threads)

    You can also use the chrome folder and set another highlight for unread
    in collapsed threads if you wish (ask if you want to know how)

  3. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Jonathan wrote:
    >> Hi All.
    >>
    >> Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?
    >>
    >> I believe these were automatically attached when I viewed a thread.
    >> Now that I am no longer interested in it, I'd like to take them off as
    >> they are distracting.
    >>
    >> I primarily use that gold star to keep track of threads. Am I correct
    >> in thinking that it is primarily this underline and the star that help
    >> you keep track of these things?
    >>
    >> Also, anyway to set a default to view by date but throw all the
    >> current starred items at the bottom or top by order of date yet or is
    >> there?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jonathan

    >
    >
    > The default highlighting mechanism for collapsed
    > threads that contain an unread message is to underline it.
    >
    >
    > So to UN -underline them you have several options
    >
    > read the unread messages in the thread
    > OR
    > uncollapse the thread (shift 8 is uncollapse all threads)
    >
    > You can also use the chrome folder and set another highlight for unread
    > in collapsed threads if you wish (ask if you want to know how)



    Another means, don't collapse threads, show all

  4. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Jonathan wrote:

    > Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?
    >
    > I believe these were automatically attached when I viewed a thread. Now
    > that I am no longer interested in it, I'd like to take them off as they
    > are distracting.


    The underline shows that you have read some but not all of the posts in
    the thread. You can remove it by invoking Message / Mark / Thread as Read.

    > I primarily use that gold star to keep track of threads. Am I correct in
    > thinking that it is primarily this underline and the star that help you
    > keep track of these things?


    The star is something you can set or remove on each post individually.
    If it helps you keep track of things, good.

    > Also, anyway to set a default to view by date but throw all the current
    > starred items at the bottom or top by order of date yet or is there?


    I don't know about setting defaults, but you can sort by any column by
    clicking on its heading.

    Hope this helps,

    - Rich

  5. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Hey Moz.

    Thanks very much.

    Can you hit me up with the chrome business. Curious.

    - Jonathan

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Jonathan wrote:
    >> Hi All.
    >>
    >> Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?
    >>
    >> I believe these were automatically attached when I viewed a thread.
    >> Now that I am no longer interested in it, I'd like to take them off as
    >> they are distracting.
    >>
    >> I primarily use that gold star to keep track of threads. Am I correct
    >> in thinking that it is primarily this underline and the star that help
    >> you keep track of these things?
    >>
    >> Also, anyway to set a default to view by date but throw all the
    >> current starred items at the bottom or top by order of date yet or is
    >> there?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jonathan

    >
    >
    > The default highlighting mechanism for collapsed
    > threads that contain an unread message is to underline it.
    >
    >
    > So to UN -underline them you have several options
    >
    > read the unread messages in the thread
    > OR
    > uncollapse the thread (shift 8 is uncollapse all threads)
    >
    > You can also use the chrome folder and set another highlight for unread
    > in collapsed threads if you wish (ask if you want to know how)


  6. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Hi Rick. Blinky.

    Thanks all. Helpful.

    FWIW. I know others will find the code useful but for me I am afraid I
    won't be digging in that deep. Interesting to know you can do this however.

    Cheers and thanks.

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jonathan wrote:
    >
    >> Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?

    >
    > That means there's at least one unread post in a collapsed thread.
    >
    > I don't desire the underline either; to remove it I've put this code in
    > my userChrome.css file:
    >
    >
    > /* closed thread with unread, first article */
    > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(container, closed, hasUnread, read)
    > {
    > text-decoration:none !important;
    > }
    >


  7. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Jonathan wrote:
    > Hi Rick. Blinky.
    >
    > Thanks all. Helpful.
    >
    > FWIW. I know others will find the code useful but for me I am afraid I
    > won't be digging in that deep. Interesting to know you can do this however.


    Copy, paste, save. That's deep?

    > Cheers and thanks.
    >
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Jonathan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?

    >>
    >> That means there's at least one unread post in a collapsed thread.
    >>
    >> I don't desire the underline either; to remove it I've put this code in
    >> my userChrome.css file:
    >>
    >>
    >> /* closed thread with unread, first article */
    >> treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(container, closed, hasUnread, read)
    >> {
    >> text-decoration:none !important;
    >> }
    >>


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

  8. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Hi Rich, All.

    Can you help me with a follow up here?

    Mark thread as read also seems to indicate that I can hit "R" while on
    the thread to also mark as read. If I select the thread and hit R this
    seems to work, but it seems to want to come back sometimes after closing
    out and opening later. Any idea of what is going on here?

    Also. The underlining seems to get activated if I just click on a
    thread? So I have to scroll around and be careful to not accidentally
    click on unopened threads? This seems really inconvenient.

    Any ideas what is going on in the first case and how to avoid/reset the
    second issue?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan

  9. Re: Un-underlining threads

    OK. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that.

    You are probably right about it not being deep.

    I think I just meant I wasn't planning on altering any registry files or
    whatever these things are. I'm just going to use the UI.

    Thanks again.

    Jonathan

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jonathan wrote:
    >> Hi Rick. Blinky.
    >>
    >> Thanks all. Helpful.
    >>
    >> FWIW. I know others will find the code useful but for me I am afraid I
    >> won't be digging in that deep. Interesting to know you can do this however.

    >
    > Copy, paste, save. That's deep?
    >
    >> Cheers and thanks.
    >>
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Jonathan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?
    >>> That means there's at least one unread post in a collapsed thread.
    >>>
    >>> I don't desire the underline either; to remove it I've put this code in
    >>> my userChrome.css file:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> /* closed thread with unread, first article */
    >>> treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(container, closed, hasUnread, read)
    >>> {
    >>> text-decoration:none !important;
    >>> }
    >>>

    >


  10. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Jonathan wrote:
    > OK. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that.
    >
    > You are probably right about it not being deep.
    >
    > I think I just meant I wasn't planning on altering any registry files or
    > whatever these things are. I'm just going to use the UI.


    It's just a text file.

    But whatever.

    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Jonathan
    >
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Jonathan wrote:
    >>> Hi Rick. Blinky.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks all. Helpful.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW. I know others will find the code useful but for me I am afraid I
    >>> won't be digging in that deep. Interesting to know you can do this however.

    >>
    >> Copy, paste, save. That's deep?
    >>
    >>> Cheers and thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>> Jonathan wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Can I take off the underline that is on some threads in my newgroups?
    >>>> That means there's at least one unread post in a collapsed thread.
    >>>>
    >>>> I don't desire the underline either; to remove it I've put this code in
    >>>> my userChrome.css file:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> /* closed thread with unread, first article */
    >>>> treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(container, closed, hasUnread, read)
    >>>> {
    >>>> text-decoration:none !important;
    >>>> }
    >>>>

    >>


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

  11. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Jonathan wrote:

    > Also. The underlining seems to get activated if I just click on a
    > thread? So I have to scroll around and be careful to not accidentally
    > click on unopened threads? This seems really inconvenient.


    As I posted before, by default a thread gets underlined if you have
    read some but not all of its posts. So clicking on the first post
    of an otherwise unread thread makes it it that criterion. You can
    remove the underline by either "reading" the rest of the posts (as
    I suggested before) or marking the first post as "unread" again.
    To do the latter, invoke Message / Mark and un-check "As Read",
    or just click on the spot where unread posts are marked with a
    green dot.

    - Rich

  12. Re: Un-underlining threads

    *-* On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:47:30 -0800,
    *-* In Article foenk3.do.1@maryann.blinkynet.net,
    *-* Blinky the Shark wrote
    *-* About Re: Un-underlining threads

    > Jonathan wrote:
    >> Thanks all. Helpful.


    >> FWIW. I know others will find the code useful but for me I am
    >> afraid I won't be digging in that deep. Interesting to know you can
    >> do this however.


    > Copy, paste, save. That's deep?


    In and of itself, no, but if he's not familiar with the chrome
    folder (including its location) and/or the files it contains, that can
    be more than a little intimidating.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152
    InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

  13. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Jonathan wrote:
    > Hey Moz.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Can you hit me up with the chrome business. Curious.
    >
    > - Jonathan
    >
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Jonathan wrote:
    >>> Hi All.


    >> You can also use the chrome folder and set another highlight for
    >> unread in collapsed threads if you wish (ask if you want to know how)



    Jonathan

    Please use bottom posting/intersperse in these newsgroups if you will,
    thank you very much.

    That is, quote the message (or portion thereof) you are replying to,
    then post your message, such as I have done.

    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

    Blinky gave you one example of how to change things using the chrome
    folder, below is another

    A watched thread updates the 'thread' icon (in the standard theme,
    anyway) to show a little pair of eyeglasses. That's easy to miss. You
    can customize to have a watched thread (or the topmost message in the
    thread, anyway) appear however you want, by adding rules to
    userChrome.css. For instance, I use this:

    treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(news, watch)
    /* watched threads top msg */
    { color: #080 !important; }
    treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(news, watch, selected)
    /* watched threads, top msg, selected */
    { color: #0D0 !important; }
    /* use a brighter green against dark background */

  14. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Rich Pasco wrote:
    > Jonathan wrote:
    >
    >> Also. The underlining seems to get activated if I just click on a
    >> thread? So I have to scroll around and be careful to not accidentally
    >> click on unopened threads? This seems really inconvenient.

    >
    > As I posted before, by default a thread gets underlined if you have
    > read some but not all of its posts. So clicking on the first post
    > of an otherwise unread thread makes it it that criterion. You can
    > remove the underline by either "reading" the rest of the posts (as
    > I suggested before) or marking the first post as "unread" again.
    > To do the latter, invoke Message / Mark and un-check "As Read",
    > or just click on the spot where unread posts are marked with a
    > green dot.
    >
    > - Rich


    Hi Rich.

    So. This is not my forte.

    Am I correct in seeing that "R" will "Mark > Thread as Read"? Ideally I
    don't want to have to go into the pulldown everytime I want to clean up
    a newsgroup.

    Also. If I use "R" - I select the thread, hit "R" and then I have to get
    off the thread in order to make it stick? How do I get off the thread
    without clicking on another post? I have to click on the screen to
    simply get the threads to scroll and this activates the underlining, no?

    Is the clicking on and off the green dot the equivalent to clicking on
    the thread and using Mark Thread As Read, or is there a difference here?

    Finally, is there a way to deactivate the default underlining behaviour
    or am I stuck with all this?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan

  15. Re: Un-underlining threads

    Hi Ken, All.

    Thanks again. Pushing it here I am sure.

    But no way to deactivate the default behavior of a thread getting
    underlined when you simply accidentally click in the window? I mean
    there is no way to get this underlining behavior to be active instead of
    passive, huh.

    I sort of find this annoying...

    Cheers and thanks.


    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:47:30 -0800,
    > *-* In Article foenk3.do.1@maryann.blinkynet.net,
    > *-* Blinky the Shark wrote
    > *-* About Re: Un-underlining threads
    >
    >> Jonathan wrote:
    >>> Thanks all. Helpful.

    >
    >>> FWIW. I know others will find the code useful but for me I am
    >>> afraid I won't be digging in that deep. Interesting to know you can
    >>> do this however.

    >
    >> Copy, paste, save. That's deep?

    >
    > In and of itself, no, but if he's not familiar with the chrome
    > folder (including its location) and/or the files it contains, that can
    > be more than a little intimidating.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)


+ Reply to Thread