Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap) - Mozilla ; Hi, a gmail account that I have been using with no issues via imap has started to misbehave and I have no clue why. The error message being generated is as follows: 'Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)' followed by 'Login ...

  1. Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    Hi,
    a gmail account that I have been using with no issues via imap has
    started to misbehave and I have no clue why.

    The error message being generated is as follows:

    'Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)'

    followed by

    'Login to server imap.gmail.com failed.'

    Any ideas?

    ---
    Regards

    Beya

  2. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    On Jan 30, 10:11 pm, beyarecords wrote:
    > Hi,
    > a gmail account that I have been using with no issues via imap has
    > started to misbehave and I have no clue why.
    >
    > The error message being generated is as follows:
    >
    > 'Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)'
    >
    > followed by
    >
    > 'Login to server imap.gmail.com failed.'
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > ---
    > Regards
    >
    > Beya

    Bump!

  3. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    beyarecords wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 10:11 pm, beyarecords wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> a gmail account that I have been using with no issues via imap has
    >> started to misbehave and I have no clue why.
    >>
    >> The error message being generated is as follows:
    >>
    >> 'Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)'
    >>
    >> followed by
    >>
    >> 'Login to server imap.gmail.com failed.'
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> ---
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Beya

    > Bump!

    Have you seen their recommended settings page?

    https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=78892

    Click on the 'Thunderbird 2.0' link.

    Specifically, the 'additional steps' listed after step 5. Where they
    show you how to change the 'mail.server.default.fetch_by_chunks' preference?

    I'm thinking that would probably reduce the number of requests made to
    the server, and may help alleviate the problem. Just a guess, though.

    --
    Alex K.

  4. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    On Jan 31, 12:55 pm, "Alex K." wrote:
    > beyarecords wrote:
    > > On Jan 30, 10:11 pm, beyarecords wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >> a gmail account that I have been using with no issues via imap has
    > >> started to misbehave and I have no clue why.

    > >> The error message being generated is as follows:

    > >> 'Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)'

    > >> followed by

    > >> 'Login to server imap.gmail.com failed.'

    > >> Any ideas?

    > >> ---
    > >> Regards

    > >> Beya

    > > Bump!

    > Have you seen their recommended settings page?
    >
    > https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=78892
    >
    > Click on the 'Thunderbird 2.0' link.
    >
    > Specifically, the 'additional steps' listed after step 5. Where they
    > show you how to change the 'mail.server.default.fetch_by_chunks' preference?
    >
    > I'm thinking that would probably reduce the number of requests made to
    > the server, and may help alleviate the problem. Just a guess, though.
    >
    > --
    > Alex K.

    Hi Alex,
    many thanks for the heads up regarding the TB tunning. Unfortunately
    they did not make a difference.

    I have 3 Gmail account referenced from TB. Two of them work with no
    issues at all but this one account, since last week, refuses to play
    ball!

    Thanks in advance for any additional help.

    Beya

  5. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    On Jan 31, 1:54 pm, Dukeswharf wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 12:55 pm, "Alex K." wrote:
    >

    > > beyarecords wrote:

    > > > Bump!

    > > Have you seen their recommended settings page?

    > >https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=78892

    > > Click on the 'Thunderbird 2.0' link.

    > > Specifically, the 'additional steps' listed after step 5. Where they
    > > show you how to change the 'mail.server.default.fetch_by_chunks' preference?

    > > I'm thinking that would probably reduce the number of requests made to
    > > the server, and may help alleviate the problem. Just a guess, though.

    > > --
    > > Alex K.

    > Hi Alex,
    > many thanks for the heads up regarding the TB tunning. Unfortunately
    > they did not make a difference.
    >
    > I have 3 Gmail account referenced from TB. Two of them work with no
    > issues at all but this one account, since last week, refuses to play
    > ball!
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any additional help.
    >
    > Beya

    Bump!

  6. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    beyarecords wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 1:54 pm, Dukeswharf wrote:

    /snip/

    >> I have 3 Gmail account referenced from TB. Two of them work with no
    >> issues at all but this one account, since last week, refuses to play
    >> ball!
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any additional help.
    >>
    >> Beya

    > Bump!

    There is no need to keep bumping this, it has not been up that long.

    Have you tried the obvious step of removing the account and recreating it?

    Lee

  7. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    On Jan 31, 8:15 pm, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > beyarecords wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    > >> I have 3 Gmail account referenced from TB. Two of them work with no
    > >> issues at all but this one account, since last week, refuses to play
    > >> ball!

    > >> Thanks in advance for any additional help.

    > >> Beya

    > > Bump!

    > There is no need to keep bumping this, it has not been up that long.
    >
    > Have you tried the obvious step of removing the account and recreating it?
    >
    > Lee

    This issue has now been resolved!

    It would seem that TB has an issue with the number of folders it like
    you to have on an Gmail account. Simply deleting some of the more
    redundant folders I had resolved the issue completely.

    I presume that this is a bug as I never had an issue with the account
    in question when I setup imap on Outlook 2003.

    Beya

  8. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    beyarecords wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 8:15 pm, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> beyarecords wrote:

    >> /snip/

    >>> Bump!

    >> There is no need to keep bumping this, it has not been up that long.
    >>
    >> Have you tried the obvious step of removing the account and recreating it?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > This issue has now been resolved!
    >
    > It would seem that TB has an issue with the number of folders it like
    > you to have on an Gmail account. Simply deleting some of the more
    > redundant folders I had resolved the issue completely.
    >
    > I presume that this is a bug as I never had an issue with the account
    > in question when I setup imap on Outlook 2003.
    >
    > Beya

    On the other hand, in looking through the GMail support groups, even
    Outlook users are experiencing this error about "too many connections".
    What is not clear, to me, is whether this is a client issue, or a
    server issue. In other words, is the error that the client (TB or
    Outlook) is *creating* too many connections, or is it that the the
    server is *experiencing* too many connections, in total, from all users?

    Postings on their groups seem to suggest that it is a server issue, as
    it seems to be an intermittent error. Although I don't have an answer,
    I'm just curious, do/did you get it *every time* you tried to connect?

    For reference, the Gmail help groups are here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion

    --
    Alex K.

  9. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    On Feb 1, 7:34*am, "Alex K." wrote:
    > beyarecords wrote:
    > >> /snip/

    > >> There is no need to keep bumping this, it has not been up that long.

    > >> Have you tried the obvious step of removing the account and recreating it?

    > >> Lee

    > > This issue has now been resolved!

    > > It would seem that TB has an issue with the number of folders it like
    > > you to have on an Gmail account. Simply deleting some of the more
    > > redundant folders I had resolved the issue completely.

    > > I presume that this is a bug as I never had an issue with the account
    > > in question when I setup imap on Outlook 2003.

    > > Beya

    > On the other hand, in looking through the GMail support groups, even
    > Outlook users are experiencing this error about "too many connections".
    > *What is not clear, to me, is whether this is a client issue, or a
    > server issue. *In other words, is the error that the client (TB or
    > Outlook) is *creating* too many connections, or is it that the the
    > server is *experiencing* too many connections, in total, from all users?
    >
    > Postings on their groups seem to suggest that it is a server issue, as
    > it seems to be an intermittent error. *Although I don't have an answer,
    > I'm just curious, do/did you get it *every time* you tried to connect?
    >
    > For reference, the Gmail help groups are here:http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion
    >
    > --
    > Alex K.

    I just started having this same problem in Apple Mail, so I assume
    it's a server issue. Everything works fine for the first couple
    minutes, but then I get the "Too many connections" error. I connect to
    Gmail IMAP via my MacBook Pro and my iPhone only. Also, doesn't seem
    to be any problem with accessing mail on my iPhone through the mail
    client. So does anyone know for sure if this is a client issue or
    Google's server issue? Anyone from Google tech support that can help
    us out here?

    - Peter

  10. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    peter.ostrander@gmail.com keyboarded, On 2/20/2008 11:49 AM :
    > On Feb 1, 7:34 am, "Alex K." wrote:
    >
    >> beyarecords wrote:

    >>> This issue has now been resolved!
    >>>
    >>> It would seem that TB has an issue with the number of folders it like
    >>> you to have on an Gmail account. Simply deleting some of the more
    >>> redundant folders I had resolved the issue completely.
    >>>
    >>> I presume that this is a bug as I never had an issue with the account
    >>> in question when I setup imap on Outlook 2003.
    >>>
    >>> Beya
    >>>

    >> On the other hand, in looking through the GMail support groups, even
    >> Outlook users are experiencing this error about "too many connections".
    >> What is not clear, to me, is whether this is a client issue, or a
    >> server issue. In other words, is the error that the client (TB or
    >> Outlook) is *creating* too many connections, or is it that the the
    >> server is *experiencing* too many connections, in total, from all users?
    >>
    >> Postings on their groups seem to suggest that it is a server issue, as
    >> it seems to be an intermittent error. Although I don't have an answer,
    >> I'm just curious, do/did you get it *every time* you tried to connect?
    >>
    >> For reference, the Gmail help groups are here:http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alex K.
    >>

    > I just started having this same problem in Apple Mail, so I assume
    > it's a server issue. Everything works fine for the first couple
    > minutes, but then I get the "Too many connections" error. I connect to
    > Gmail IMAP via my MacBook Pro and my iPhone only. Also, doesn't seem
    > to be any problem with accessing mail on my iPhone through the mail
    > client. So does anyone know for sure if this is a client issue or
    > Google's server issue? Anyone from Google tech support that can help
    > us out here?
    >
    > - Peter

    Some thing related to this thread from a conversation with my ISP
    support for a news server connections problem. On the client side Tb by
    default sets two connections as the max for a server. My ISP outsourced
    there news service [NSP] and leased only two connections between the
    ISP and the news company. This causes many traffic jams at the ISP's
    concentrator which is pulling news from the NSP. Result is lots of "Can
    not connect" messages until some network techs got smart and programed
    the servers to issue a "Server is too busy" when the connection had to
    be rejected for lack of capacity. So a more detailed server responce is
    possible than the dumber "Too many connections" default reply.

    --
    Ron K.

  11. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    I'm experiencing the same "too many simultaneous connections" error
    using Thunderbird on a gmail account.
    I tried the recommended settings (https://mail.google.com/support/bin/
    answer.py?answer=78892&topic=12920#), but
    it did'nt solve the problem.

    If I restart Thunderbird, the problem appears to go away for a few
    hours, then it comes back.

    I have one gmail account, with 10 IMAP folders. I haven't tried
    eliminating some of the folders. I will if someone can confirm that's
    the source of the problem.

  12. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    On Feb 20, 8:21 pm, "wayne.seltzer" wrote:
    > I'm experiencing the same "too many simultaneous connections" error
    > using Thunderbird on a gmail account.
    > I tried the recommended settings (https://mail.google.com/support/bin/
    > answer.py?answer=78892&topic=12920#), but
    > it did'nt solve the problem.
    >
    > If I restart Thunderbird, the problem appears to go away for a few
    > hours, then it comes back.
    >
    > I have one gmail account, with 10 IMAP folders. I haven't tried
    > eliminating some of the folders. I will if someone can confirm that's
    > the source of the problem.

    I have outlook 2007 and am having the same problem. I am not
    connecting with any other email client or on another computer. I do
    have 13 folders, but they are all kind of important.

  13. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    randall keyboarded, On 2/22/2008 3:25 PM :
    > On Feb 20, 8:21 pm, "wayne.seltzer" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm experiencing the same "too many simultaneous connections" error
    >> using Thunderbird on a gmail account.
    >> I tried the recommended settings (https://mail.google.com/support/bin/
    >> answer.py?answer=78892&topic=12920#), but
    >> it did'nt solve the problem.
    >>
    >> If I restart Thunderbird, the problem appears to go away for a few
    >> hours, then it comes back.
    >>
    >> I have one gmail account, with 10 IMAP folders. I haven't tried
    >> eliminating some of the folders. I will if someone can confirm that's
    >> the source of the problem.
    >>

    > I have outlook 2007 and am having the same problem. I am not
    > connecting with any other email client or on another computer. I do
    > have 13 folders, but they are all kind of important.

    Filtering the Config Editor screen display for IMAP I found this preference:
    mail.imap.max_cached_connections
    The default value is 10

    I do not know how IMAP works, but experience with NNTP suggests this may
    be related to your comment. What has G-mail tech support said about how
    there servers handle accounts with more than to mail boxes? Is each
    mailbox considered a separate connection?

    --
    Ron K.

  14. Re: Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure) - on Gmail account(Imap)

    On Feb 28, 4:11 pm, "Ron K." wrote:
    > randall keyboarded, On 2/22/2008 3:25 PM :
    >

    > > On Feb 20, 8:21 pm, "wayne.seltzer" wrote:

    > >> I'm experiencing the same "too many simultaneous connections" error
    > >> usingThunderbirdon a gmail account.
    > >> I tried the recommended settings (https://mail.google.com/support/bin/
    > >> answer.py?answer=78892&topic=12920#), but
    > >> it did'nt solve the problem.

    > >> If I restartThunderbird, the problem appears to go away for a few
    > >> hours, then it comes back.

    > >> I have one gmail account, with 10 IMAP folders. I haven't tried
    > >> eliminating some of the folders. I will if someone can confirm that's
    > >> the source of the problem.

    > > I have outlook 2007 and am having the same problem. I am not
    > > connecting with any other email client or on another computer. I do
    > > have 13 folders, but they are all kind of important.

    > Filtering the Config Editor screen display for IMAP I found this preference:
    > mail.imap.max_cached_connections
    > The default value is 10
    >
    > I do not know how IMAP works, but experience with NNTP suggests this may
    > be related to your comment. What has G-mail tech support said about how
    > there servers handle accounts with more than to mail boxes? Is each
    > mailbox considered a separate connection?
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
    > Kernel Restore reported BSOD use by Major Error to msg the enemy!

    Good idea. I'll try tweaking it, although the problem seems to have
    gone away
    since I made the other tweaks.

    G-mail tech support? How does one contact them? I haven't submitted
    this problem.
    -Wayne

+ Reply to Thread