Can't view images in New, FWD or RE composition window - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can't view images in New, FWD or RE composition window - Mozilla ; TB version 2.0.0.9 (20071031), XP Pro. Tbird has no problem displaying inbox message inline images, but when I reply or forward the message, the images in the composition window are displayed by placeholders, a defined box of the same size, ...

  1. Can't view images in New, FWD or RE composition window

    TB version 2.0.0.9 (20071031), XP Pro.

    Tbird has no problem displaying inbox message inline images, but when
    I reply or forward the
    message, the images in the composition window are displayed by
    placeholders, a defined box
    of the same size, but the image is not visible, (also there is no file
    name displayed); just
    the ubiquitous little red icon in the corner. I need to see the images
    to ensure that the proper
    ones are being sent. This is also true in new messages being composed
    when I insert images (inline).
    The only way I can see them as the recipient will view them is to
    first send the message
    to myself, view it on receipt, then re-send it.
    Why don't the images display in the composition window? I think this
    started back in v. 1.5 or
    shortly after, but I can't find any posts in here resolving the compose-
    view issue. TIA, Dave.

  2. Re: Can't view images in New, FWD or RE composition window

    dAVEr wrote:
    > TB version 2.0.0.9 (20071031), XP Pro.
    >
    > Tbird has no problem displaying inbox message inline images, but when
    > I reply or forward the
    > message, the images in the composition window are displayed by
    > placeholders, a defined box
    > of the same size, but the image is not visible, (also there is no file
    > name displayed); just
    > the ubiquitous little red icon in the corner. I need to see the images
    > to ensure that the proper
    > ones are being sent. This is also true in new messages being composed
    > when I insert images (inline).
    > The only way I can see them as the recipient will view them is to
    > first send the message
    > to myself, view it on receipt, then re-send it.
    > Why don't the images display in the composition window? I think this
    > started back in v. 1.5 or
    > shortly after, but I can't find any posts in here resolving the compose-
    > view issue. TIA, Dave.

    This is an issue that can't be easily resolved in a plaintext venue.
    If it were possible to show the issue here in the format that you wish to use, it probably could be resolved quite easily.
    Anyhow, due to the limitations imposed here, please View>>Page source on the message you wish to reply to or forward,
    and paste that info here for inspection.
    Believe me, there are a lot of work-arounds for that ubiquitous little red square. And you *can* use Tbird for what you
    want to do.

    JoeS

  3. Re: Can't view images in New, FWD or RE composition window

    dAVEr pisze:
    > TB version 2.0.0.9 (20071031), XP Pro.
    >
    > Tbird has no problem displaying inbox message inline images, but when
    > I reply or forward the
    > message, the images in the composition window are displayed by
    > placeholders, a defined box
    > of the same size, but the image is not visible, (also there is no file
    > name displayed); just
    > the ubiquitous little red icon in the corner. I need to see the images
    > to ensure that the proper
    > ones are being sent. This is also true in new messages being composed
    > when I insert images (inline).
    > The only way I can see them as the recipient will view them is to
    > first send the message
    > to myself, view it on receipt, then re-send it.
    > Why don't the images display in the composition window? I think this
    > started back in v. 1.5 or
    > shortly after, but I can't find any posts in here resolving the compose-
    > view issue. TIA, Dave.

    Goto your prefs directory ("C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Dane
    aplikacji\Thunderbird\Profiles\XXXXXXX" on Windows), find "user.js"
    file, and add there line:

    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.expose.file", true);
    It should help.

    Problem is caused by somewhat incorrect security code.
    For images, it should prevent viewing/downloading images from places
    external to mail (like http: or file: ), but same code prevents you from
    viewing them in compose. And funny thing: if you open new message (it
    got internal status as "new"), then all security checks are by-passed...

    Eventually you may install my extension "Stationery"
    (https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/thunderbird/addon/4394) which contains
    workarounds for this and some other bugs.

    --
    Arivald

+ Reply to Thread