Upgrading from Netscap 7.2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Upgrading from Netscap 7.2 - Mozilla ; It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted. Now E-bay is screaming that I ...

  1. Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.

    Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.

    Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?

    I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    message.

    Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?

    I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    about internet radio etc.

  2. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Randy C wrote:
    > It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    > Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    > years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.
    >
    > Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    > out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    > with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    > questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.
    >
    > Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?
    >
    > I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    > Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    > check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    > message.
    >
    > Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?
    >
    > I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    > liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    > of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    > about internet radio etc.

    Note that Thunderbird is a standalone mail/news client. If you liked NS
    7.2, you might want to take a look SeaMonkey, an internet suite on the
    traditional Netscape model:

    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

    The mail/news component of SeaMonkey is very similar to Thunderbird,
    both have spell checkers, indeed its been improved since NS 7.2. It now
    has an inline check function, underlining suspect words as you go.
    Firefox does the same thing with forms and web forums.

    Lee

  3. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    The date and time was 1/15/2008 9:16 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas Jones
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Randy C wrote:
    >> It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    >> Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    >> years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.
    >>
    >> Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    >> out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    >> with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    >> questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.
    >>
    >> Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?
    >>
    >> I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    >> Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    >> check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?
    >>
    >> I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    >> liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    >> of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    >> about internet radio etc.

    > Note that Thunderbird is a standalone mail/news client. If you liked NS
    > 7.2, you might want to take a look SeaMonkey, an internet suite on the
    > traditional Netscape model:
    >
    > http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    >
    > The mail/news component of SeaMonkey is very similar to Thunderbird,
    > both have spell checkers, indeed its been improved since NS 7.2. It now
    > has an inline check function, underlining suspect words as you go.
    > Firefox does the same thing with forms and web forums.
    >
    > Lee

    Is SM going to continue to be updated?

    --
    Terry R.

  4. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 1/15/2008 9:16 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas Jones
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Randy C wrote:
    >>> It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    >>> Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    >>> years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.
    >>>
    >>> Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    >>> out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    >>> with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    >>> questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.
    >>>
    >>> Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?
    >>>
    >>> I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    >>> Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    >>> check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    >>> message.
    >>>
    >>> Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?
    >>>
    >>> I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    >>> liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    >>> of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    >>> about internet radio etc.

    >> Note that Thunderbird is a standalone mail/news client. If you liked
    >> NS 7.2, you might want to take a look SeaMonkey, an internet suite on
    >> the traditional Netscape model:
    >>
    >> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    >>
    >> The mail/news component of SeaMonkey is very similar to Thunderbird,
    >> both have spell checkers, indeed its been improved since NS 7.2. It
    >> now has an inline check function, underlining suspect words as you go.
    >> Firefox does the same thing with forms and web forums.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Is SM going to continue to be updated?

    Certainly. I've been testing the SM 2.0 nightlies pretty regularly.
    Its far from ready, but very promising. There will be regular security
    updates on the 1.1 branch.

    Lee

  5. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    The date and time was 1/15/2008 10:10 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas Jones
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 1/15/2008 9:16 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas Jones
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Note that Thunderbird is a standalone mail/news client. If you liked
    >>> NS 7.2, you might want to take a look SeaMonkey, an internet suite on
    >>> the traditional Netscape model:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    >>>
    >>> The mail/news component of SeaMonkey is very similar to Thunderbird,
    >>> both have spell checkers, indeed its been improved since NS 7.2. It
    >>> now has an inline check function, underlining suspect words as you go.
    >>> Firefox does the same thing with forms and web forums.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Is SM going to continue to be updated?
    >>

    > Certainly. I've been testing the SM 2.0 nightlies pretty regularly.
    > Its far from ready, but very promising. There will be regular security
    > updates on the 1.1 branch.
    >
    > Lee

    With FF & TB parting ways, SM is planned on continuing. Interesting. I
    thought it would go to the way side. Thank you.

    --
    Terry R.

  6. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 1/15/2008 10:10 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas Jones
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> The date and time was 1/15/2008 9:16 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas
    >>> Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Is SM going to continue to be updated?
    >>>

    >> Certainly. I've been testing the SM 2.0 nightlies pretty regularly.
    >> Its far from ready, but very promising. There will be regular
    >> security updates on the 1.1 branch.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > With FF & TB parting ways, SM is planned on continuing. Interesting. I
    > thought it would go to the way side. Thank you.

    As Ed Mullen used to say,"you will have to pry it out of my cold dead
    hands!"

    Lee

  7. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Randy C wrote:

    > It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    > Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    > years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.
    >
    > Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    > out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    > with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    > questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.
    >
    > Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?
    >
    > I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    > Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    > check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    > message.
    >
    > Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?
    >
    > I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    > liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    > of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    > about internet radio etc.

    I loved NS 7.2 and only reluctantly let it go. I replaced it with
    Thunderbird 2 (email client) and Firefox 2 (web browser), and I am
    satisfied with both. The installation was easy and seamless, and I
    have no regrets. As it's a lot of the same code you should feel
    right at home.

    Yes, Thunderbird has a spell checker. Between TB & FF they support
    everything I used in NS 7.2. (As I recall NS 7.2 also had an HTML
    composition editor, but I didn't use it.)

    But if you like the all-in-one package, SeaMonkey might be for you.

    - Rich

  8. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 1/15/2008 10:10 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas
    > Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> The date and time was 1/15/2008 9:16 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas
    >>> Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Is SM going to continue to be updated?
    >>>

    >> Certainly. I've been testing the SM 2.0 nightlies pretty regularly.
    >> Its far from ready, but very promising. There will be regular
    >> security updates on the 1.1 branch.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > With FF & TB parting ways, SM is planned on continuing. Interesting.
    > I thought it would go to the way side. Thank you.

    What do you mean "parting ways"?

  9. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    One other thing I forgot to ask about:

    Will Firefox and Thunderbird import my bookmarks and e-mail archive
    respecitvly?

    I have about 2Gb of archived e-mails form the last umpteen years Ive'
    been on the internet.

    Will I lose them and have to start over?

    On Jan 15, 9:07 am, Randy C wrote:
    > It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    > Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    > years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.
    >
    > Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    > out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    > with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    > questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.
    >
    > Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?
    >
    > I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    > Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    > check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    > message.
    >
    > Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?
    >
    > I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    > liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    > of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    > about internet radio etc.

  10. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Randy C wrote:
    > One other thing I forgot to ask about:
    >
    > Will Firefox and Thunderbird import my bookmarks and e-mail archive
    > respecitvly?
    >
    > I have about 2Gb of archived e-mails form the last umpteen years Ive'
    > been on the internet.
    >
    > Will I lose them and have to start over?
    >

    > On Jan 15, 9:07 am, Randy C wrote:
    >> It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    >> Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    >> years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.
    >>
    >> Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    >> out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    >> with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    >> questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.
    >>
    >> Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?
    >>
    >> I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    >> Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    >> check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?
    >>
    >> I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    >> liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    >> of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    >> about internet radio etc.

    When you first install Thunderbird, it will offer to import data from a
    variety of sources. Pointing it to your Netscape profile should
    accomplish the transfer.

    Much the same with Firefox.

    I would still look at SeaMonkey, but hey, that's me.

    Lee

  11. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    On Netscape's web site you'll run across a page the states that as of
    February 1st "Official support for all Netscape client products will
    end". The text goes on to say that only security updates will
    provided. Therefore no new products will be coming out of Netscape.

    On Jan 16, 7:42 am, Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Terry R. wrote:
    > > The date and time was 1/15/2008 10:10 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas
    > > Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

    > >> Certainly. I've been testing the SM 2.0 nightlies pretty regularly.
    > >> Its far from ready, but very promising. There will be regular
    > >> security updates on the 1.1 branch.

    > >> Lee

    > > With FF & TB parting ways, SM is planned on continuing. Interesting.
    > > I thought it would go to the way side. Thank you.

    > What do you mean "parting ways"?

  12. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    The date and time was 1/16/2008 7:42 AM, and on a whim, Stephen Fox
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 1/15/2008 10:10 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas
    >> Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Certainly. I've been testing the SM 2.0 nightlies pretty regularly.
    >>> Its far from ready, but very promising. There will be regular
    >>> security updates on the 1.1 branch.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> With FF & TB parting ways, SM is planned on continuing. Interesting.
    >> I thought it would go to the way side. Thank you.
    >>

    > What do you mean "parting ways"?

    Mozilla has scooted TB and a new company called MailCo will now take the
    reins, while it's focus is on FF.

    --
    Terry R.

  13. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    The date and time was 1/16/2008 9:47 AM, and on a whim, Randy C pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    That's not what I meant at all.

    --
    Terry R.

  14. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Randy C wrote:
    > On Netscape's web site you'll run across a page the states that as of
    > February 1st "Official support for all Netscape client products will
    > end". The text goes on to say that only security updates will
    > provided. Therefore no new products will be coming out of Netscape.
    >

    > On Jan 16, 7:42 am, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> The date and time was 1/15/2008 10:10 AM, and on a whim, Leonidas
    >>> Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

    >/snip/
    >>> With FF & TB parting ways, SM is planned on continuing. Interesting.
    >>> I thought it would go to the way side. Thank you.

    >> What do you mean "parting ways"?

    Please be so kind as to bottom post in these newsgroups, that is type
    your reply after the quoted text, as I am doing here.

    Stephen's question is about TB, which is being separated from Mozilla.
    Look at Mitchell Baker's blog for more information:

    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitch...l_futures.html

    There have been no security updates on NS 7.2 since it was released.
    Security updates will continue on NN 9 until Feb 1.

    Support, in the sense of Netscape Champions helping users with problems,
    will go on as long as anyone is still using the applications. Since I
    still run into people using CC 4.x, I auspect that will be a long while.

    Lee

  15. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    On Jan 16, 12:27 pm, Leonidas Jones
    wrote:
    > Randy C wrote:
    > > One other thing I forgot to ask about:

    > > Will Firefox and Thunderbird import my bookmarks and e-mail archive
    > > respecitvly?

    > > I have about 2Gb of archived e-mails form the last umpteen years Ive'
    > > been on the internet.

    > > Will I lose them and have to start over?

    > > On Jan 15, 9:07 am, Randy C wrote:
    > >> It's becoming apparent that I must abandon my beloved Netscape
    > >> Navigator 7.2 Suite. I've used it ever since it came out several
    > >> years ago. It has all of the features and customizability I wanted.

    > >> Now E-bay is screaming that I have an outdated browser. Today I found
    > >> out that Netscape is closing down, no new stuff. I've decided to go
    > >> with Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement. But I have a couple of
    > >> questions that the Mozilla web site can't answer.

    > >> Does Thunderbird have a spell checker?

    > >> I'm very bad a spelling and since the stock version of Microsoft's
    > >> Outlook doesn't have a spell checker I used Netscape's mail client to
    > >> check all of my spelling. In fact I'm using it to spell check this
    > >> message.

    > >> Does Firefox 2 support all of the features provided by Netscape 7.2?

    > >> I tried Netscape 8.x and had trouble getting thins exactly the way
    > >> liked it. Things like minimal header bars (all that stuff at the top
    > >> of the window). Adding and removing control buttons, I don't care
    > >> about internet radio etc.

    > When you first install Thunderbird, it will offer to import data from a
    > variety of sources. Pointing it to your Netscape profile should
    > accomplish the transfer.
    >
    > Much the same with Firefox.
    >
    > I would still look at SeaMonkey, but hey, that's me.
    >
    > Lee

    I recently installed FireFox and Thunderbird to replace Netscape
    7.2 and have several gigabytes of old mail dating back to 1998
    and Netscape Communicator 4.x. There were no problems
    with the mail import, and if you're used to Netscape you'll find
    Thunderbird and Firefox very familiar (right down to the hot keys).

    The only problem I'm having is getting clicked links to work
    correctly in Thunderbird, and I have a feeling this may be a
    relic of some Netscape settings in the registry. However I
    don't see a host of other people complaining of the same problem
    so I would suggest to just do it. Preference import seems to
    include a lot of look and feel options as well as your old
    e-mails. Even bookmarks, stored passwords, and personal
    toolbars made it through the transition unscathed.

    Regards,
    Gabor

  16. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Randy C wrote:

    /snip/
    > Support, in the sense of Netscape Champions helping users with problems,
    > will go on as long as anyone is still using the applications. Since I
    > still run into people using CC 4.x, I auspect that will be a long while.
    >
    > Lee

    Correct CC 4.x to NC 4.x, Netscape Communicator 4.x.

    Le

  17. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    gabor wrote:
    > On Jan 16, 12:27 pm, Leonidas Jones
    > wrote:
    >> Randy C wrote:
    >>> One other thing I forgot to ask about:
    >>> Will Firefox and Thunderbird import my bookmarks and e-mail archive
    >>> respecitvly?
    >>> I have about 2Gb of archived e-mails form the last umpteen years Ive'
    >>> been on the internet.
    >>> Will I lose them and have to start over?

    >> When you first install Thunderbird, it will offer to import data from a
    >> variety of sources. Pointing it to your Netscape profile should
    >> accomplish the transfer.
    >>
    >> Much the same with Firefox.
    >>
    >> I would still look at SeaMonkey, but hey, that's me.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I recently installed FireFox and Thunderbird to replace Netscape
    > 7.2 and have several gigabytes of old mail dating back to 1998
    > and Netscape Communicator 4.x. There were no problems
    > with the mail import, and if you're used to Netscape you'll find
    > Thunderbird and Firefox very familiar (right down to the hot keys).
    >
    > The only problem I'm having is getting clicked links to work
    > correctly in Thunderbird, and I have a feeling this may be a
    > relic of some Netscape settings in the registry. However I
    > don't see a host of other people complaining of the same problem
    > so I would suggest to just do it. Preference import seems to
    > include a lot of look and feel options as well as your old
    > e-mails. Even bookmarks, stored passwords, and personal
    > toolbars made it through the transition unscathed.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Gabor

    That would be one advantage to SeaMonkey. A link in SM Mail/News will
    open the SM browser, regardless of system defaults.

    Since Thunderbird and Firefox are separate applications, a link in TB
    will call up whatever is set as the system default browser. If that's
    FF, fine, but if its IE, IE will open. There is no way to get TB to
    call FF for a link without setting FF as the default browser.

    Gabor, try setting FF as the default and see if it works. If not, post
    back here telling us what is happening, and I cam confident we will be
    able to get it working for you.

    Lee

  18. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    On Jan 16, 3:04 pm, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > gabor wrote:
    > > On Jan 16, 12:27 pm, Leonidas Jones
    > > wrote:
    > >> When you first install Thunderbird, it will offer to import data from a
    > >> variety of sources. Pointing it to your Netscape profile should
    > >> accomplish the transfer.

    > >> Much the same with Firefox.

    > >> I would still look at SeaMonkey, but hey, that's me.

    > >> Lee

    > > I recently installed FireFox and Thunderbird to replace Netscape
    > > 7.2 and have several gigabytes of old mail dating back to 1998
    > > and Netscape Communicator 4.x. There were no problems
    > > with the mail import, and if you're used to Netscape you'll find
    > > Thunderbird and Firefox very familiar (right down to the hot keys).

    > > The only problem I'm having is getting clicked links to work
    > > correctly in Thunderbird, and I have a feeling this may be a
    > > relic of some Netscape settings in the registry. However I
    > > don't see a host of other people complaining of the same problem
    > > so I would suggest to just do it. Preference import seems to
    > > include a lot of look and feel options as well as your old
    > > e-mails. Even bookmarks, stored passwords, and personal
    > > toolbars made it through the transition unscathed.

    > > Regards,
    > > Gabor

    > That would be one advantage to SeaMonkey. A link in SM Mail/News will
    > open the SM browser, regardless of system defaults.
    >
    > Since Thunderbird and Firefox are separate applications, a link in TB
    > will call up whatever is set as the system default browser. If that's
    > FF, fine, but if its IE, IE will open. There is no way to get TB to
    > call FF for a link without setting FF as the default browser.
    >
    > Gabor, try setting FF as the default and see if it works. If not, post
    > back here telling us what is happening, and I cam confident we will be
    > able to get it working for you.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks, I've posted a couple of times already, the most recent thread
    titled "Still Sruggling with Links..." and an older one titled
    "Thunderbird links save a temp file and then open file in browser".
    It's not an issue of default browser. I see the same problem in
    Internet Explorer or FireFox. Whichever browser is default opens
    the "link" as a file with the file:///... showing in the address
    bar. I actually see the page (or most of it), but any relative
    links on the page are broken, because they point to file:///...
    something that wasn't downloaded instead of http://... something
    on the target website. The only reference I've seen from an
    earlier thread seems to think of this as a Linux problem, but
    I'm running Windows XP sp1. Any thoughts are welcome.

    Regards,
    Gabor

  19. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    gabor wrote:
    > On Jan 16, 3:04 pm, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> gabor wrote:
    >>> I recently installed FireFox and Thunderbird to replace Netscape
    >>> 7.2 and have several gigabytes of old mail dating back to 1998
    >>> and Netscape Communicator 4.x. There were no problems
    >>> with the mail import, and if you're used to Netscape you'll find
    >>> Thunderbird and Firefox very familiar (right down to the hot keys).
    >>> The only problem I'm having is getting clicked links to work
    >>> correctly in Thunderbird, and I have a feeling this may be a
    >>> relic of some Netscape settings in the registry. However I
    >>> don't see a host of other people complaining of the same problem
    >>> so I would suggest to just do it. Preference import seems to
    >>> include a lot of look and feel options as well as your old
    >>> e-mails. Even bookmarks, stored passwords, and personal
    >>> toolbars made it through the transition unscathed.
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Gabor

    >> That would be one advantage to SeaMonkey. A link in SM Mail/News will
    >> open the SM browser, regardless of system defaults.
    >>
    >> Since Thunderbird and Firefox are separate applications, a link in TB
    >> will call up whatever is set as the system default browser. If that's
    >> FF, fine, but if its IE, IE will open. There is no way to get TB to
    >> call FF for a link without setting FF as the default browser.
    >>
    >> Gabor, try setting FF as the default and see if it works. If not, post
    >> back here telling us what is happening, and I cam confident we will be
    >> able to get it working for you.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks, I've posted a couple of times already, the most recent thread
    > titled "Still Sruggling with Links..." and an older one titled
    > "Thunderbird links save a temp file and then open file in browser".
    > It's not an issue of default browser. I see the same problem in
    > Internet Explorer or FireFox. Whichever browser is default opens
    > the "link" as a file with the file:///... showing in the address
    > bar. I actually see the page (or most of it), but any relative
    > links on the page are broken, because they point to file:///...
    > something that wasn't downloaded instead of http://... something
    > on the target website. The only reference I've seen from an
    > earlier thread seems to think of this as a Linux problem, but
    > I'm running Windows XP sp1. Any thoughts are welcome.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Gabor

    Other then going from SP1 to SP2, no I don't. I'm a Mac user, but I do
    work on Windows machines, and I have never seen this problem. Thanks
    for mentioning it, now I remember your problem. I had not commented at
    the time, since I had never seen it, and, being an OS issue, thought it
    better for others to help with.

    Lee

  20. Re: Upgrading from Netscap 7.2

    On Jan 16, 7:34 pm, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > gabor wrote:
    > >> That would be one advantage to SeaMonkey. A link in SM Mail/News will
    > >> open the SM browser, regardless of system defaults.

    > >> Since Thunderbird and Firefox are separate applications, a link in TB
    > >> will call up whatever is set as the system default browser. If that's
    > >> FF, fine, but if its IE, IE will open. There is no way to get TB to
    > >> call FF for a link without setting FF as the default browser.

    > >> Gabor, try setting FF as the default and see if it works. If not, post
    > >> back here telling us what is happening, and I cam confident we will be
    > >> able to get it working for you.

    > >> Lee

    > > Thanks, I've posted a couple of times already, the most recent thread
    > > titled "Still Sruggling with Links..." and an older one titled
    > > "Thunderbird links save a temp file and then open file in browser".
    > > It's not an issue of default browser. I see the same problem in
    > > Internet Explorer or FireFox. Whichever browser is default opens
    > > the "link" as a file with the file:///... showing in the address
    > > bar. I actually see the page (or most of it), but any relative
    > > links on the page are broken, because they point to file:///...
    > > something that wasn't downloaded instead of http://... something
    > > on the target website. The only reference I've seen from an
    > > earlier thread seems to think of this as a Linux problem, but
    > > I'm running Windows XP sp1. Any thoughts are welcome.

    > > Regards,
    > > Gabor

    > Other then going from SP1 to SP2, no I don't. I'm a Mac user, but I do
    > work on Windows machines, and I have never seen this problem. Thanks
    > for mentioning it, now I remember your problem. I had not commented at
    > the time, since I had never seen it, and, being an OS issue, thought it
    > better for others to help with.
    >
    > Lee

    It's not likely to be addressed in service pack 2. I have another
    machine also running Windows XP SP1, and it does not have the problem.
    I have spent some time looking for differences in the two registries,
    but so far nothing substantive has come up. I went through all keys
    with "HTML" or "HTM" in them, and found a few differences, including
    some keys titled "MyHTML" in the system that has the problem, but
    changing these sections to match the working machine did not fix the
    issue.

    In any case I have no intention of "upgrading" to SP2, because I
    need to run some very old CAD software that may have issues with
    it, and it doesn't look like it is easy to roll back once installed.

    Regards,
    Gabor

+ Reply to Thread