Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message - Mozilla ; All, Can't quite figure out how to tweak Thunderbird to solve the following problem: When I'm reading a message and delete it, TB auto-opens the next message in the same window. I would rather just go back to the Inbox ...

  1. Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    All,

    Can't quite figure out how to tweak Thunderbird to solve the following
    problem:

    When I'm reading a message and delete it, TB auto-opens the next
    message in the same window. I would rather just go back to the Inbox
    listings. Now, if I didn't want to go to the next message, I have to
    manually mark the "force-read" item as unread.

    Any way to tweak so that if I delete a message whilst reading it, TB
    takes me back to the Inbox list and NOT the next message?

    Thanks so much!

  2. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    The date and time was 1/12/2008 8:41 AM, and on a whim, Jenonymous
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > All,
    >
    > Can't quite figure out how to tweak Thunderbird to solve the following
    > problem:
    >
    > When I'm reading a message and delete it, TB auto-opens the next
    > message in the same window. I would rather just go back to the Inbox
    > listings. Now, if I didn't want to go to the next message, I have to
    > manually mark the "force-read" item as unread.
    >
    > Any way to tweak so that if I delete a message whilst reading it, TB
    > takes me back to the Inbox list and NOT the next message?
    >
    > Thanks so much!

    Hi Jen,

    If you read messages in a separate window or using the Message Pane
    under the Tread Pane, I think the outcome is the same. When a message
    is deleted, TB drops to the next in line in the list, by-design I
    believe. I've seen one or two complaints on this before, but don't
    remember seeing a resolve. Maybe someone will have a suggestion, since
    I'm unable to search the KB right now for some reason.

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    Terry R. keyboarded, On 1/12/2008 12:31 PM :
    > The date and time was 1/12/2008 8:41 AM, and on a whim, Jenonymous
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Can't quite figure out how to tweak Thunderbird to solve the following
    >> problem:
    >>
    >> When I'm reading a message and delete it, TB auto-opens the next
    >> message in the same window. I would rather just go back to the Inbox
    >> listings. Now, if I didn't want to go to the next message, I have to
    >> manually mark the "force-read" item as unread.
    >>
    >> Any way to tweak so that if I delete a message whilst reading it, TB
    >> takes me back to the Inbox list and NOT the next message?
    >>
    >> Thanks so much!

    > Hi Jen,
    >
    > If you read messages in a separate window or using the Message Pane
    > under the Tread Pane, I think the outcome is the same. When a message
    > is deleted, TB drops to the next in line in the list, by-design I
    > believe. I've seen one or two complaints on this before, but don't
    > remember seeing a resolve. Maybe someone will have a suggestion,
    > since I'm unable to search the KB right now for some reason.

    There is an extension that stops the default behavior and is named
    'Unselect Message' which I got from the Thunderbird Add-on site. Keeps
    the highlight from moving to , and auto-opening another message. Then I
    use the keybord shortcut of "n" to advance to next unread message.

    --
    Ron K.

  4. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Terry R. keyboarded, On 1/12/2008 12:31 PM :
    >> The date and time was 1/12/2008 8:41 AM, and on a whim, Jenonymous
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> All,
    >>>
    >>> Can't quite figure out how to tweak Thunderbird to solve the following
    >>> problem:
    >>>
    >>> When I'm reading a message and delete it, TB auto-opens the next
    >>> message in the same window. I would rather just go back to the Inbox
    >>> listings. Now, if I didn't want to go to the next message, I have to
    >>> manually mark the "force-read" item as unread.
    >>>
    >>> Any way to tweak so that if I delete a message whilst reading it, TB
    >>> takes me back to the Inbox list and NOT the next message?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks so much!

    >> Hi Jen,
    >>
    >> If you read messages in a separate window or using the Message Pane
    >> under the Tread Pane, I think the outcome is the same. When a
    >> message is deleted, TB drops to the next in line in the list,
    >> by-design I believe. I've seen one or two complaints on this before,
    >> but don't remember seeing a resolve. Maybe someone will have a
    >> suggestion, since I'm unable to search the KB right now for some reason.
    >>

    > There is an extension that stops the default behavior and is named
    > 'Unselect Message' which I got from the Thunderbird Add-on site.
    > Keeps the highlight from moving to , and auto-opening another message.
    > Then I use the keybord shortcut of "n" to advance to next unread message.

  5. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    Terry and Ovidiu, thank you so much! This looks like exactly what I
    want--will install when I get home tonight.

  6. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    On Jan 14, 11:10 am, Jenonymous wrote:
    > Terry and Ovidiu, thank you so much! This looks like exactly what I
    > want--will install when I get home tonight.

    Drat, I spoke too soon...I have the latest TB and this extension does
    not work with the current version...

    Meh.

  7. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    Jenonymous keyboarded, On 1/14/2008 8:47 PM :
    > On Jan 14, 11:10 am, Jenonymous wrote:
    >
    >> Terry and Ovidiu, thank you so much! This looks like exactly what I
    >> want--will install when I get home tonight.
    >>

    > Drat, I spoke too soon...I have the latest TB and this extension does
    > not work with the current version...
    >
    > Meh.

    Sorry, that must be one of the extensions that I had to hack the version
    number in it's install manifest. We can not post attachments to this
    server, so where can I e-mail you an edited copy of the extension. I
    bumpede up the Tb version number to 2.0.0.18, so it will work for a
    while with security updates. It is renamed to *.xpi.zip so rename by
    removing the .zip. Save to desktop. Open Tb and it's add-on manager.
    Then drag and drop the file onto the manager to install.

    --
    Ron K.

  8. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    On 1/14/2008 9:29 PM, Ron K. wrote:
    > Jenonymous keyboarded, On 1/14/2008 8:47 PM :
    >> On Jan 14, 11:10 am, Jenonymous wrote:
    >>
    >>> Terry and Ovidiu, thank you so much! This looks like exactly what I
    >>> want--will install when I get home tonight.
    >>>

    >> Drat, I spoke too soon...I have the latest TB and this extension does
    >> not work with the current version...
    >>
    >> Meh.
    >>

    > Sorry, that must be one of the extensions that I had to hack the version
    > number in it's install manifest. We can not post attachments to this
    > server, so where can I e-mail you an edited copy of the extension. I
    > bumpede up the Tb version number to 2.0.0.18, so it will work for a
    > while with security updates. It is renamed to *.xpi.zip so rename by
    > removing the .zip. Save to desktop. Open Tb and it's add-on manager.
    > Then drag and drop the file onto the manager to install.

    Only one line needs to be changed in the "install.rdf" file within the .jar
    file. The .jar is only a zip file and can be opened with the "Open with" command
    on the right-click menu. Sometimes you need to Shift>Right-click to display the
    "Open with" option. If all else fails, you can just rename it from .jar to
    ..zip then open with Winzip or what ever compression software you use. Rename it
    back to .jar when done.

    Change the maxVersion line in "install.rdf" to read:

    3.0+

    And yes it _does_ work with Thunderbird 3.0 as well as 2.0.0.x :-)

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  9. Re: Question RE turning off "auto open" when I delete a message

    G. R. Woodring keyboarded, On 1/16/2008 9:58 PM :
    > On 1/14/2008 9:29 PM, Ron K. wrote:
    >> Jenonymous keyboarded, On 1/14/2008 8:47 PM :

    >>> Drat, I spoke too soon...I have the latest TB and this extension does
    >>> not work with the current version...
    >>>
    >>> Meh.
    >>>

    >> Sorry, that must be one of the extensions that I had to hack the
    >> version number in it's install manifest. We can not post attachments
    >> to this server, so where can I e-mail you an edited copy of the
    >> extension. I bumpede up the Tb version number to 2.0.0.18, so it
    >> will work for a while with security updates. It is renamed to
    >> *.xpi.zip so rename by removing the .zip. Save to desktop. Open Tb
    >> and it's add-on manager. Then drag and drop the file onto the
    >> manager to install.
    >>

    > Only one line needs to be changed in the "install.rdf" file within the
    > .jar file. The .jar is only a zip file and can be opened with the
    > "Open with" command on the right-click menu. Sometimes you need to
    > Shift>Right-click to display the "Open with" option. If all else
    > fails, you can just rename it from .jar to .zip then open with Winzip
    > or what ever compression software you use. Rename it back to .jar
    > when done.
    >
    > Change the maxVersion line in "install.rdf" to read:
    >
    > 3.0+
    >
    > And yes it _does_ work with Thunderbird 3.0 as well as 2.0.0.x :-)

    The extension is an *.xpi, not a jar, though it contains a *.jar file
    holding several code files. The OP got an edited copy by mail.

    Nice to hear the Tb 3 has not broken this extension yet.

    --
    Ron K.