nicknames in address book lists - Mozilla

This is a discussion on nicknames in address book lists - Mozilla ; When setting up lists containg many email addresses in my Thunderbird Adress Book, I'd like to do it in such a way that when I update a certain email address, it have to do it only once, with the update ...

  1. nicknames in address book lists

    When setting up lists containg many email addresses in my Thunderbird
    Adress Book, I'd like to do it in such a way that when I update a
    certain email address, it have to do it only once, with the update
    automatically being implemented in all lists containing that address
    (instead of me having
    to do this by hand).

    Until recently I used pine, where this could be done
    by defining a nickname or alias for each email address, and entering
    the
    nicknames in the list. Pine automatically replaced the nicknames by
    the actual addresses when the message was sent.

    With Thunderbird, I have not managed to do what
    I want, because when entering a nickname in a list, it is
    immediately
    replaced by the actual address - and if I then change the latter in
    the
    address book, it is NOT also changed in the List.

    Does anyone know how to solve my problem?

    Thanks,
    Jan

  2. Re: nicknames in address book lists

    vondelft@theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
    > When setting up lists containg many email addresses in my Thunderbird
    > Adress Book, I'd like to do it in such a way that when I update a
    > certain email address, it have to do it only once, with the update
    > automatically being implemented in all lists containing that address
    > (instead of me having
    > to do this by hand).

    It should be doing this automatically.

    > Until recently I used pine, where this could be done
    > by defining a nickname or alias for each email address, and entering
    > the
    > nicknames in the list. Pine automatically replaced the nicknames by
    > the actual addresses when the message was sent.

    TB functions the same way, except that what you see when adding to the
    list is the actual email address, rather than just the nickname.

    > With Thunderbird, I have not managed to do what
    > I want, because when entering a nickname in a list, it is
    > immediately
    > replaced by the actual address - and if I then change the latter in
    > the
    > address book, it is NOT also changed in the List.

    The entries in the list are not actual addresses, but pointers to the
    related entry in the Address Book.

    When you are adding to the list, in the 'Mailing List' window, yes, it
    will show you the email address. After you add it to the list, and
    click 'OK', what you will be seeing in the 'Address Book' window, with
    the list selected, is the data pulled from each Address Book entry, for
    those that are on the list.

    I suspect that you may have duplicate entries in your Address Book.
    Unfortunately (IMO), TB will allow you to have exact duplicate cards in
    the Address Book, or even just multiple cards containing the same email
    address.

    When you make a change in the Address Book, then see that it has not
    changed in the list, double click on the entry in the list. That will
    bring up the related card from the Address Book. Look it over *very*
    closely, is it the same card, *exactly*, as the one you edited?

    You may want to consider the Duplicate Contact Manager extension. I
    just tried it myself and discovered a few duplicates that I didn't
    realize I had. Not that I had closely looked at my Address Book lately,
    though.

    Duplicate Contact Manager 0.3

    --
    Alex K.