Please explain... am I missing something? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Please explain... am I missing something? - Mozilla ; Hi, I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in the usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download the message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages' option is greyed ...

  1. Please explain... am I missing something?

    Hi,

    I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in the
    usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download the
    message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages' option
    is greyed out. Clearly, I've missed something - what?

    Bob

  2. Re: Please explain... am I missing something?

    Bob wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in the
    > usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download the
    > message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages' option
    > is greyed out. Clearly, I've missed something - what?
    >
    > Bob

    Maybe some of those audio files are so big that they are spread over several
    messages. Thunderbird isn't able to consolidate several such messages into a
    single file.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    It wasn't that she had a rose in her teeth, exactly. It was more like
    the rose and the teeth were in the same glass.

  3. Re: Please explain... am I missing something?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in
    >> the usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download
    >> the message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages'
    >> option is greyed out. Clearly, I've missed something - what?
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Maybe some of those audio files are so big that they are spread over
    > several messages. Thunderbird isn't able to consolidate several such
    > messages into a single file.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Thanks for the reply. From what I have read elsewhere, the message
    bodies are saved in a .dat folder in 'Profiles' where I can then use
    third party software to process them. It seems such a simple
    requirement. I have previously had a measure of success going 'off-line'
    (from the 'File' pull-down) and then then getting the message bodies but
    this seemed like a long-winded routine to have to follow - and this with
    only limited success. I wanted to confirm that there was nothing wrong
    with my install before I removed and re-loaded 'Thunderbird'.

    Bob

  4. Re: Please explain... am I missing something?

    Bob wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in the
    > usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download the
    > message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages' option
    > is greyed out. Clearly, I've missed something - what?
    >
    > Bob

    "get messages" doesn't mean what you think it means. It
    means to get the next 500 [or whatever] messages that are on
    the server.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Please explain... am I missing something?

    *-* On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:04:23 +0000,
    *-* In Article J_adnbsS9vgm6bbanZ2dnUVZ_qGknZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Bob wrote
    *-* About Please explain... am I missing something?

    > I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in
    > the usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download
    > the message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages'
    > option is greyed out. Clearly, I've missed something - what?

    Is the newsgroup in question a binary group (1. e., does it have
    "binaries" in its name)? TB's binary-handling capabilities are very
    limited, so if it is a binary group you'd probably be better off using
    a different newsreader (one with better binary capabilities) for that
    group.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  6. Re: Please explain... am I missing something?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in
    >> the usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download
    >> the message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages'
    >> option is greyed out. Clearly, I've missed something - what?
    >>
    >> Bob

    > "get messages" doesn't mean what you think it means. It means to get
    > the next 500 [or whatever] messages that are on the server.

    Well, not quite. In Newsgroups, it means to get the next xxx HEADERS,
    unless you are set up to use that NG offline.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  7. Re: Please explain... am I missing something?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I subscribe to an audio book newsgroup. I download 'Headers' in
    >>> the usual way. I wish to select a number of the headers and download
    >>> the message bodies. I select and right-click but the 'Get Messages'
    >>> option is greyed out. Clearly, I've missed something - what?
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> "get messages" doesn't mean what you think it means. It means to get
    >> the next 500 [or whatever] messages that are on the server.
    >>

    > Well, not quite. In Newsgroups, it means to get the next xxx HEADERS,
    > unless you are set up to use that NG offline.

    I've been trying 'Thunderbird' for a number of weeks now and like some
    of its features. Sadly, it falls down rather badly on the one feature
    that I particularly wanted. I'm going to have to return to using the
    horrible microsoft products again - unless of course, someone here can
    convince me otherwise :-)

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread