Expired news items not removed - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Expired news items not removed - Mozilla ; TB 2.0.0.6, W2K+SP4. From time to time I get a message saying that a particular newsgroup item cannot be shown because it has expired; I then get the chance to click to remove all expired items. The trouble is, it ...

  1. Expired news items not removed

    TB 2.0.0.6, W2K+SP4.
    From time to time I get a message saying that a particular newsgroup
    item cannot be shown because it has expired; I then get the chance to
    click to remove all expired items. The trouble is, it doesn't actually
    remove them. I know it used to in a previous version, but not on this
    version.
    Am I missing something?

    --
    Regards, Gary Wooding

  2. Re: Expired news items not removed

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:22:59 +0000, in message ,
    lemel_man wrote:

    > TB 2.0.0.6, W2K+SP4.
    > From time to time I get a message saying that a particular newsgroup
    > item cannot be shown because it has expired; I then get the chance to
    > click to remove all expired items. The trouble is, it doesn't actually
    > remove them. I know it used to in a previous version, but not on this
    > version.
    > Am I missing something?

    It could be a news server problem. Your news server might not be very
    reliable at identifying expired vs still available headers without
    having to download the entire body.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  3. Re: Expired news items not removed

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:22:59 +0000, in message ,
    > lemel_man wrote:
    >
    >> TB 2.0.0.6, W2K+SP4.
    >> From time to time I get a message saying that a particular newsgroup
    >> item cannot be shown because it has expired; I then get the chance to
    >> click to remove all expired items. The trouble is, it doesn't actually
    >> remove them. I know it used to in a previous version, but not on this
    >> version.
    >> Am I missing something?

    > It could be a news server problem. Your news server might not be very
    > reliable at identifying expired vs still available headers without
    > having to download the entire body.

    I haven't changed news server and it certainly used to work with an
    earlier TB.

    --
    Regards, Gary Wooding