Opening attachments - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Opening attachments - Mozilla ; The help seems to indicate otherwise but.... Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it? I get no option. Thanks, Mike...

  1. Opening attachments

    The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it? I get no option.
    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: Opening attachments

    MikeR wrote:
    > The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    > Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it? I
    > get no option.
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    Yes and No. What Tb is supposed to do when it encounters a new
    attachment type is prompt the user for a choice of assigning an external
    application as a handler or the save to disk choice. This is the design.

    What goes wrong. I have noticed that many users of MS Windows XP are
    sending attachments that do not comply with the MIME standards. Those
    standards were designed to identify attachments with a Mail Extension
    type such as application/ms-access in this case. Tb looks for valid
    content ID info that includes the MIME type, it does not look at the
    file extension. If the content ID is "file Access database" on one
    senders system and "file MDB" on another, Tb can not parse the data and
    match it to data it has entered into it's mimeTypes.rdf file.

    There are two extensions that help sort this out. One uses the
    attachments file extension and uses it to launch the handler, this
    accourding to data you provide to the extension.
    OpenAttachmentByExtension-0.1.2 is the extension. The other is named
    MIME Edit, which is designed to permit manual creation of new MIME type
    entries in the file I mention in the prior paragraph. I think you may
    find the second extension easier to work with as it's dialog box is
    closer in appearance to that of Tb's own.

    --
    Ron k.

  3. Re: Opening attachments

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Yes and No. What Tb is supposed to do when it encounters a new
    > attachment type is prompt the user for a choice of assigning an external
    > application as a handler or the save to disk choice. This is the design.
    >
    > What goes wrong. I have noticed that many users of MS Windows XP are
    > sending attachments that do not comply with the MIME standards. Those
    > standards were designed to identify attachments with a Mail Extension
    > type such as application/ms-access in this case. Tb looks for valid
    > content ID info that includes the MIME type, it does not look at the
    > file extension. If the content ID is "file Access database" on one
    > senders system and "file MDB" on another, Tb can not parse the data and
    > match it to data it has entered into it's mimeTypes.rdf file.
    >
    > There are two extensions that help sort this out. One uses the
    > attachments file extension and uses it to launch the handler, this
    > accourding to data you provide to the extension.
    > OpenAttachmentByExtension-0.1.2 is the extension. The other is named
    > MIME Edit, which is designed to permit manual creation of new MIME type
    > entries in the file I mention in the prior paragraph. I think you may
    > find the second extension easier to work with as it's dialog box is
    > closer in appearance to that of Tb's own.

    Thanks Ron -
    I'm sorry to report MIME edit has no effect. It came with application/msaccess type.
    I tried that and application/ms-access. I restarted TB, and rebooted the box, still
    no joy.

    Neither OpenAttachmentByExtension-0.1.2.xpi or
    OpenAttachmentByExtension-0.1.2-updated.xpi will install. TB says not a valid install
    package -207. Also the link to the readme file is broken.

  4. Re: Opening attachments

    *-* On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:01:35 -0400,
    *-* In Article ipOdnYZmrMrsm7fanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* MikeR wrote
    *-* About Opening attachments

    > The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    > Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it?
    > I get no option.

    Tools --> Options --> Attachments --> Download Actions

    Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the blanks. :-)

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  5. Re: Opening attachments

    On 11/1/2007 11:19 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:01:35 -0400,
    > *-* In Article ipOdnYZmrMrsm7fanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* MikeR wrote
    > *-* About Opening attachments
    >
    >> The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    >> Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it?
    >> I get no option.

    > Tools --> Options --> Attachments --> Download Actions
    >
    > Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the blanks. :-)
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    This has made me curious. Is there a way to add NEW download actions?
    I don't see a way to do that.
    Dave Pyles

  6. Re: Opening attachments

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 11/1/2007 11:19 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
    >> *-* On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:01:35 -0400,
    >> *-* In Article ipOdnYZmrMrsm7fanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* MikeR wrote
    >> *-* About Opening attachments
    >>
    >>> The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    >>> Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it?
    >>> I get no option.

    >> Tools --> Options --> Attachments --> Download Actions
    >>
    >> Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the blanks. :-)
    >>
    >> Ken Whiton
    >>
    >> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    > This has made me curious. Is there a way to add NEW download actions?
    > I don't see a way to do that.
    > Dave Pyles

    No, not with the inbuilt dialog, that is why developers created extensions.

    --
    Ron K.

  7. Re: Opening attachments

    On 11/2/2007 12:04 PM, Ron K. wrote:
    > David Pyles wrote:
    >> On 11/1/2007 11:19 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
    >>> *-* On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:01:35 -0400,
    >>> *-* In Article ipOdnYZmrMrsm7fanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >>> *-* MikeR wrote
    >>> *-* About Opening attachments

    >>> Tools --> Options --> Attachments --> Download Actions
    >>>
    >>> Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the blanks. :-)
    >>>
    >>> Ken Whiton
    >>>
    >>> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >>> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    >> This has made me curious. Is there a way to add NEW download actions?
    >> I don't see a way to do that.
    >> Dave Pyles

    > No, not with the inbuilt dialog, that is why developers created extensions.

    Not to be obtuse, but a more helpful answer would have been to direct me
    to the proper extension.
    MIME Edit: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4498
    Dave Pyles

  8. Re: Opening attachments

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:01:35 -0400,
    > *-* In Article ipOdnYZmrMrsm7fanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* MikeR wrote
    > *-* About Opening attachments
    >
    >> The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    >> Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it?
    >> I get no option.

    > Tools --> Options --> Attachments --> Download Actions
    >
    > Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the blanks. :-)

    Thanks, Ken
    There are no blanks to fill in. The only enabled piece is the Search box. The other
    box is disabled.
    Mike

  9. Re: Opening attachments

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 11/2/2007 12:04 PM, Ron K. wrote:
    >> David Pyles wrote:

    >>> This has made me curious. Is there a way to add NEW download
    >>> actions? I don't see a way to do that.
    >>> Dave Pyles

    >> No, not with the inbuilt dialog, that is why developers created
    >> extensions.
    >>

    > Not to be obtuse, but a more helpful answer would have been to direct me
    > to the proper extension.
    > MIME Edit: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4498
    > Dave Pyles

    Good luck -
    It didn't work for me.
    Mike

  10. Re: Opening attachments

    *-* On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:21:43 -0400,
    *-* In Article kpSdncgpofRnP7banZ2dnUVZ_qfinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* MikeR wrote
    *-* About Re: Opening attachments

    > Ken Whiton wrote:
    >> *-* MikeR wrote

    >>> The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    >>> Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save
    >>> it? I get no option.

    >> Tools --> Options --> Attachments

    Make sure the "Save all attachments to this folder:" option is
    unchecked. Since it's a "radio button" option, that means the "Ask me
    where to save every file" option will have to be checked.

    >> --> Download Actions

    >> Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the
    >> blanks. :-)

    > Thanks, Ken
    > There are no blanks to fill in. The only enabled piece is the Search
    > box. The other box is disabled.

    Sorry 'bout that. ;-) I haven't had a need to use that option
    (which is why I couldn't be more specific with my "fill in the blanks"
    comment). I was just pointing you to something I had seen that looked
    as if it might do what you wanted. I *THINK* that using the "Ask me
    where ..." option mentioned above will give you a choice between
    opening or saving the attachment.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  11. Re: Opening attachments

    On 11/2/2007 6:21 PM, MikeR wrote:
    > Ken Whiton wrote:
    >> *-* On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:01:35 -0400,
    >> *-* In Article ipOdnYZmrMrsm7fanZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* MikeR wrote
    >> *-* About Opening attachments
    >>
    >>> The help seems to indicate otherwise but....
    >>> Can TB be set to open an Access database (.mdb) rather than save it?
    >>> I get no option.

    >> Tools --> Options --> Attachments --> Download Actions
    >>
    >> Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the blanks. :-)
    >>

    > Thanks, Ken
    > There are no blanks to fill in. The only enabled piece is the Search
    > box. The other box is disabled.
    > Mike

    This thread got me curious, so I did a little searching yesterday. There
    is an extension called MIME Edit at
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4498 which will give you
    options to add new actions, and to delete or edit actions. It wirks in
    both Thunderbird and Firefox.
    Dave Pyles

  12. Re: Opening attachments

    David Pyles wrote:
    > This thread got me curious, so I did a little searching yesterday. There
    > is an extension called MIME Edit at
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4498 which will give you
    > options to add new actions, and to delete or edit actions. It wirks in
    > both Thunderbird and Firefox.
    > Dave Pyles

    David -
    You missed parts of the thread, then. MIME edit was suggested in an earlier post, and
    as I said, it has no effect on my TB, durn it.

  13. Re: Opening attachments

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:21:43 -0400,
    > *-* In Article kpSdncgpofRnP7banZ2dnUVZ_qfinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* MikeR wrote
    > *-* About Re: Opening attachments
    >
    >> Ken Whiton wrote:
    >>> *-* MikeR wrote

    >>> Tools --> Options --> Attachments

    > Make sure the "Save all attachments to this folder:" option is
    > unchecked. Since it's a "radio button" option, that means the "Ask me
    > where to save every file" option will have to be checked.

    Yep.

    >>> --> Download Actions

    >>> Click on the "View & Edit Actions..." button and fill in the
    >>> blanks. :-)

    >> Thanks, Ken
    >> There are no blanks to fill in. The only enabled piece is the Search
    >> box. The other box is disabled.

    > Sorry 'bout that. ;-) I haven't had a need to use that option
    > (which is why I couldn't be more specific with my "fill in the blanks"
    > comment). I was just pointing you to something I had seen that looked
    > as if it might do what you wanted. I *THINK* that using the "Ask me
    > where ..." option mentioned above will give you a choice between
    > opening or saving the attachment.

    Nope. But thanks for the suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread