Changing location for TB mail files - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Changing location for TB mail files - Mozilla ; Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Changing location for TB mail files

  1. Changing location for TB mail files

    Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the
    profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that
    again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try to use Account
    Settings and browse for the new location I'm told I can't because "it is in
    use by another server."

    How can I make that change in location?
    Thanks,
    Don

  2. Re: Changing location for TB mail files

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the
    > profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that
    > again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try to use Account
    > Settings and browse for the new location I'm told I can't because "it is in
    > use by another server."


    When do you get that message, as soon as you click the 'Browse' button,
    or when you try to select a specific location?

    Where is the location you are trying to set it to, on the same computer,
    or on a different computer on a home network?

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: Changing location for TB mail files

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >> Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the
    >> profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that
    >> again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try to use Account
    >> Settings and browse for the new location I'm told I can't because "it is in
    >> use by another server."

    >
    > When do you get that message, as soon as you click the 'Browse' button,
    > or when you try to select a specific location?


    Unless I misunderstand, you use the Browse button to specify the location;
    and that's when I get the message.

    >
    > Where is the location you are trying to set it to, on the same computer,
    > or on a different computer on a home network?
    >


    As noted above I'm trying to select C:=\TBird folder on the same computer.
    No networks intended to be involved.

  4. Re: Changing location for TB mail files

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>> Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the
    >>> profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that
    >>> again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try to use Account
    >>> Settings and browse for the new location I'm told I can't because "it is in
    >>> use by another server."

    >> When do you get that message, as soon as you click the 'Browse' button,
    >> or when you try to select a specific location?

    >
    > Unless I misunderstand, you use the Browse button to specify the location;
    > and that's when I get the message.



    Have you tried it in TB safe mode?

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

    --
    Alex K.

  5. Re: Changing location for TB mail files

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >> Alex K. wrote:
    >>> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>>> Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the
    >>>> profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that
    >>>> again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try to use Account
    >>>> Settings and browse for the new location I'm told I can't because "it is in
    >>>> use by another server."
    >>> When do you get that message, as soon as you click the 'Browse' button,
    >>> or when you try to select a specific location?

    >> Unless I misunderstand, you use the Browse button to specify the location;
    >> and that's when I get the message.

    >
    >
    > Have you tried it in TB safe mode?
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
    >

    Thanks Alex, I know what Save Mode is, but how does it apply to this topic?

  6. Re: Changing location for TB mail files

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>> Alex K. wrote:
    >>>> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>>>> Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the
    >>>>> profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that
    >>>>> again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try to use Account
    >>>>> Settings and browse for the new location I'm told I can't because "it is in
    >>>>> use by another server."
    >>>> When do you get that message, as soon as you click the 'Browse' button,
    >>>> or when you try to select a specific location?
    >>> Unless I misunderstand, you use the Browse button to specify the location;
    >>> and that's when I get the message.

    >>
    >> Have you tried it in TB safe mode?
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
    >>

    > Thanks Alex, I know what Save Mode is, but how does it apply to this topic?


    Well, because its generally one of the first things to try if TB doesn't
    behave as expected.

    However, having had *much* more coffee today, than I had yesterday,
    another thought occurred to me, that has nothing to do with safe mode. :-)

    Take a look at your other account, the one you say is already set to
    C:\Tbird.

    What is the full entry for 'Local Directory'?

    It should end with the name of the server, or other unique name, similar
    to this:

    C:\Tbird\pop.gmail.com

    If it is simply C:\Tbird, then that is the problem, your other account,
    or "server" is already using that directory.

    Because I use TB on two different computers, I created a shared
    directory at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SharedData\Thunderbird\

    The structure of that directory is this, in part:

    Mail\
    |
    |-Local Folders\
    |
    |-localhost\
    |
    |-pop.gmail.com\
    |
    |-pop.rcn.com\

    Those are all directories, containing the files pertaining each account.

    So, for instance, the 'Local Directory' setting for my gmail account is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Documents\SharedData\Thunderbird\Mail\pop.gm ail.com

    and for my rcn account:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Documents\SharedData\Thunderbird\Mail\pop.rc n.com

    If you want to keep the mail together, under a common directory
    structure, then I would follow the steps outlined here:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_you..._-_Thunderbird

    Keeping in mind that, for the original account, that is currently stored
    in C:\Tbird, that is where you would copy the mail from.

    For the new account, you would copy from within your profile, as stated
    in the kb article.

    Otherwise, you can just create a new directory, say, C:\Tbird2, and
    point the new account there, copying the mail files for that account
    from within your profile.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Changing location for TB mail files

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >> Alex K. wrote:
    >>> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>>> Alex K. wrote:
    >>>>> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>>>>> Some time back I was able to change the location of my email from the
    >>>>>> profiles folder in C:\Application Data to C:\Tbird. I'd like to do that
    >>>>>> again but don't seem to be able to remember how. When I try to use Account
    >>>>>> Settings and browse for the new location I'm told I can't because "it is in
    >>>>>> use by another server."
    >>>>> When do you get that message, as soon as you click the 'Browse' button,
    >>>>> or when you try to select a specific location?
    >>>> Unless I misunderstand, you use the Browse button to specify the location;
    >>>> and that's when I get the message.
    >>> Have you tried it in TB safe mode?
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
    >>>

    >> Thanks Alex, I know what Save Mode is, but how does it apply to this topic?

    >
    > Well, because its generally one of the first things to try if TB doesn't
    > behave as expected.
    >
    > However, having had *much* more coffee today, than I had yesterday,
    > another thought occurred to me, that has nothing to do with safe mode. :-)
    >
    > Take a look at your other account, the one you say is already set to
    > C:\Tbird.
    >
    > What is the full entry for 'Local Directory'?
    >
    > It should end with the name of the server, or other unique name, similar
    > to this:
    >
    > C:\Tbird\pop.gmail.com
    >
    > If it is simply C:\Tbird, then that is the problem, your other account,
    > or "server" is already using that directory.
    >
    > Because I use TB on two different computers, I created a shared
    > directory at:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\SharedData\Thunderbird\
    >
    > The structure of that directory is this, in part:
    >
    > Mail\
    > |
    > |-Local Folders\
    > |
    > |-localhost\
    > |
    > |-pop.gmail.com\
    > |
    > |-pop.rcn.com\
    >
    > Those are all directories, containing the files pertaining each account.
    >
    > So, for instance, the 'Local Directory' setting for my gmail account is:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\Documents\SharedData\Thunderbird\Mail\pop.gm ail.com
    >
    > and for my rcn account:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\Documents\SharedData\Thunderbird\Mail\pop.rc n.com
    >
    > If you want to keep the mail together, under a common directory
    > structure, then I would follow the steps outlined here:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_you..._-_Thunderbird
    >
    > Keeping in mind that, for the original account, that is currently stored
    > in C:\Tbird, that is where you would copy the mail from.
    >
    > For the new account, you would copy from within your profile, as stated
    > in the kb article.
    >
    > Otherwise, you can just create a new directory, say, C:\Tbird2, and
    > point the new account there, copying the mail files for that account
    > from within your profile.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >

    Thanks Alex, that was quite a reply! So much so I think I'll have a cup of
    coffee or two and mull it over.

  8. Re: Changing location for TB mail files

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:




    >> However, having had *much* more coffee today, than I had yesterday,
    >> another thought occurred to me, that has nothing to do with safe mode. :-)




    > Thanks Alex, that was quite a reply! So much so I think I'll have a cup of
    > coffee or two and mull it over.


    :-)

    Yeah, sorry for the first reply. As I said, I wasn't firing on all
    cylinders.

    The short version of it is that you can't share one, single folder with
    multiple accounts. Each account requires its own, separate folder.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread