network.autodial-helper.enabled type problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on network.autodial-helper.enabled type problem - Mozilla ; I spent the last month on dial-up, thanks to problems with my broadband connection. The switch from DSL to dial-up seemed to be quite smooth; that wasn't surprising, as I had done that before when roaming. Today, I got broadband ...

  1. network.autodial-helper.enabled type problem

    I spent the last month on dial-up, thanks to problems with my
    broadband connection. The switch from DSL to dial-up seemed to be
    quite smooth; that wasn't surprising, as I had done that before when
    roaming.

    Today, I got broadband back. When I hung up the dial-up connection,
    my browser and PuTTY switched back to the LAN connection with no
    intervention (well, I did restart PuTTY). (FWIW, I'm running XP SP2
    and Thunderbird 2.0.0.6.)

    That wasn't the case with Thunderbird, though; it keeps wanting to
    establish a dial-up connection anytime I try to read email (including
    reading email upon starting up Thunderbird).

    I searched for suggestions, and the best suggestions seemed to involve
    network.autodial-helper.enabled:
    http://www.mozilla.org/quality/netwo.../autodial.html,
    http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq...l#no-auto-dial, and
    the like.

    Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to fix it. I've set Control Panel >
    Internet Properties > Connections > Never dial a connection. In
    Thunderbird, I've set network.autodial-helper.enabled to false. I've
    rebooted my system.

    In Services, Remote Access Connection Manager is Started (I tried to
    stop it as an experiment, but Windows wouldn't let me). Remote
    Access Auto Connection Manager is stopped.

    I did notice that Telephony was running, so I paused it, and now
    Thunderbird can read email. Unfortunately, stopping Telephony will
    also stop Fax services, I want that active, and it used to work.

    Any ideas what might be the fix? Any ideas what might have changed?
    (I don't recall having done anything to make Thunderbird work when I
    switched to dial-up.)

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. Re: network.autodial-helper.enabled type problem

    On 10/16/2007 7:14 PM, Bill wrote:
    > I spent the last month on dial-up, thanks to problems with my
    > broadband connection. The switch from DSL to dial-up seemed to be
    > quite smooth; that wasn't surprising, as I had done that before when
    > roaming.
    >
    > Today, I got broadband back. When I hung up the dial-up connection,
    > my browser and PuTTY switched back to the LAN connection with no
    > intervention (well, I did restart PuTTY). (FWIW, I'm running XP SP2
    > and Thunderbird 2.0.0.6.)
    >
    > That wasn't the case with Thunderbird, though; it keeps wanting to
    > establish a dial-up connection anytime I try to read email (including
    > reading email upon starting up Thunderbird).
    >
    > I searched for suggestions, and the best suggestions seemed to involve
    > network.autodial-helper.enabled:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/quality/netwo.../autodial.html,
    > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq...l#no-auto-dial, and
    > the like.
    >
    > Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to fix it. I've set Control Panel >
    > Internet Properties > Connections > Never dial a connection. In
    > Thunderbird, I've set network.autodial-helper.enabled to false. I've
    > rebooted my system.
    >
    > In Services, Remote Access Connection Manager is Started (I tried to
    > stop it as an experiment, but Windows wouldn't let me). Remote
    > Access Auto Connection Manager is stopped.
    >
    > I did notice that Telephony was running, so I paused it, and now
    > Thunderbird can read email. Unfortunately, stopping Telephony will
    > also stop Fax services, I want that active, and it used to work.
    >
    > Any ideas what might be the fix? Any ideas what might have changed?
    > (I don't recall having done anything to make Thunderbird work when I
    > switched to dial-up.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    Try Tools>>Options>>Advanced Click on the Connection button and check
    "Direct Connection to the Internet". Uncheck everything else.

    --
    Irwin

  3. Re: network.autodial-helper.enabled type problem

    On Oct 16, 8:46 pm, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > Try Tools>>Options>>Advanced Click on the Connection button and check
    > "Direct Connection to the Internet". Uncheck everything else.

    Irwin,

    Thanks. That's the way it was, though, so nothing to change.

    I rebooted again to see if any of the changes I reported here needed a
    reboot, but no success yet.

    Bill

  4. Re: network.autodial-helper.enabled type problem

    On Oct 16, 7:14 pm, Bill wrote:

    > I did notice that Telephony was running, so I paused it, and now
    > Thunderbird can read email. Unfortunately, stopping Telephony will
    > also stop Fax services, I want that active, and it used to work.

    I just tried pausing the Telephony service again to read email, and
    that approach no longer seems to work. :-(

    Bill

  5. Re: network.autodial-helper.enabled type problem

    On Oct 16, 7:14 pm, Bill wrote:

    > That wasn't the case with Thunderbird, though; it keeps wanting to
    > establish a dial-up connection anytime I try to read email (including
    > reading email upon starting up Thunderbird).

    A bit more searching turned up
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316530. I tried the instructions
    under Disable Autodial, but that didn't work. I checked the registry;
    the locations mentioned in Modify the Registry were already set to 0.

    I did find Auto-Dial: Disconnect/Disable on
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...ndows-XP-FAQ-A
    and disabled the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, but that
    didn't help.

    Any other thoughts?

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread