Re: can't retrieve items from server - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: can't retrieve items from server - Mozilla ; clay wrote: > clay wrote: >> ... >>> I tried it using Newsbot and Quadsucker (as well as TB). All show >>> approx. 6000 posts but display none. >>> Me thinks it's a server issue (that apparently Outaluck choses to ...

  1. Re: can't retrieve items from server

    clay wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >>> I tried it using Newsbot and Quadsucker (as well as TB). All show
    >>> approx. 6000 posts but display none.
    >>> Me thinks it's a server issue (that apparently Outaluck choses to ignore)
    >>>

    >> Correction: Newsbot was able to view and read posts. So far, I can't get
    >> Quadsucker to view or read...
    >>

    > fwiw, Qs gives an error: 500 Command not understood, referring to Xover
    > phase.

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/anu-faq/

    "Q: Does ANU News support XOVER in the NNTP Server?
    A: Well, sort of. There is some simple minded XOVER code in the V6.1b10
    server. First, you needed to get patch 950817_NNTP_SERVER.PATCH
    from the patch archives at perl.newman.upenn.edu and apply it. Then put
    "#define XOVER" near the beginning of NNTP_SERVER.C and rebuild NEWS.
    A better version of XOVER support is available in V6.2, but the
    "#define XOVER" is still needed."

    Version 6.21 appears to be the last available, here, although there may
    be other mirrors. This is the first one google gave me:

    http://ftp.arnes.si/ftp/packages/anu-news/ANU_V621/

    --
    Alex K.

  2. Re: can't retrieve items from server

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >
    >> "Q: Does ANU News support XOVER in the NNTP Server?
    >> A: Well, sort of. There is some simple minded XOVER code in the V6.1b10
    >> server. First, you needed to get patch 950817_NNTP_SERVER.PATCH
    >> from the patch archives at perl.newman.upenn.edu and apply it. Then put
    >> "#define XOVER" near the beginning of NNTP_SERVER.C and rebuild NEWS.
    >> A better version of XOVER support is available in V6.2, but the
    >> "#define XOVER" is still needed."

    > Thanks to all for your help. I rebuilt the server with XOVER support
    > included and Thunderbird is now happily talking to it.

    You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread