Thunderbird+Penelope vs Eudora 5.1 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird+Penelope vs Eudora 5.1 - Mozilla ; My experience trying out: Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ Penelope 0.1a19 - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4772 I decided to take 2 hours and test out Thunderbird and Penelope. I first installed Thunderbird and had it import all of my Eudora 5.1 "stuff". I also ...

  1. Thunderbird+Penelope vs Eudora 5.1

    My experience trying out:

    Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    Penelope 0.1a19 - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4772

    I decided to take 2 hours and test out Thunderbird and Penelope.

    I first installed Thunderbird and had it import all of my Eudora 5.1
    "stuff". I also installed Penelope as an add-on to Thunderbird. It
    imported properly my mailboxes, but my address book was only partially
    imported and many nicknames were missing. In addition, none of the
    filters that I had set in Eudora made it through to Thunderbird.

    Menu bar: the top menu bar works similar to Eudora. One click on the
    manu bar and then you sees the entire pull-down menu. By sliding left
    and right, one can see the auto pull down menus of other top menus.
    The
    problem here is the Transfer top menu. Since this is often "greyed
    out"
    in Thunderbird/Penelope, it stops the auto-pulldown menu. Slide the
    cursor left and right to see auto pull down menus, but don't go near
    the
    greyed out Transfer top menu unless you want auto pull down menus to
    stop.

    Coloring: Eudora has a nice feature that allows one to color a mail
    item.
    I use it to flag an item in a folder for later easy spotting. Import
    lost all colorings of emails rather than convert the Eudora colors to
    Thunderbird Tags.

    Personailities: seems to have imported everything and has many options
    for customization.

    Link history: doesn't exist in Thunderbird/Penelope.

    Statistics: doesn't exist in Thunderbird/Penelope.

    Error console in Thunderbird shows one error:
    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
    code: 0x80550005 [nsIMsgFolder.getMsgDatabase]" nsresult: "0x80550005
    ()" location: "JS frame ::
    chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.xml :: parseFolder :: line
    2061"
    data: no]

    There might be other items that I missed but for now I would say that
    Thunderbird/Penelope are not yet ready to replace Eurora - even V5.!

  2. Re: Thunderbird+Penelope vs Eudora 5.1

    Hankn wrote:
    > My experience trying out:
    >
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    > Penelope 0.1a19 - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4772
    >

    > There might be other items that I missed but for now I would say that
    > Thunderbird/Penelope are not yet ready to replace Eurora - even V5.!

    Just to put things in perspective, I see that the Penelope extension
    version is 0.1a19.

    Based on standard versioning conventions, the 'a' in the version number
    would indicate an alpha release. That generally indicates a *very*
    rough stage, under heavy development, where things can change rapidly.
    Unless one is using it for testing purposes, to provide feedback to the
    dev team, an alpha release is not, usually, for public consumption.
    Perhaps the extension download page should make that clear.

    For an explanation of the different stages of software development, see
    here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ase_life_cycle

    Indeed, this page even indicates that it is in the alpha stage:
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope_Extensions
    "Penelope Extensions
    Penelope Extension for Thunderbird Alpha 0.1 releases"

    " * Alpha 21 (released in late August 2007) is integrated into the
    Eudora beta release, available from the [Penelope Releases] page.

    * Download Alpha19 (released in April 2007) here via http or here
    via ftp."

    Then, at this page, is this statement:
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope#Current_Status

    "Note that if you are a current Eudora user who wishes to give
    Thunderbird a try, the Thunderbird importers for Eudora are a bit rough,
    especially for MacOS users. It may be worth waiting to try to import
    your mail until we make some improvements to the importers."

    Eudora 8.0.0, on the other hand, apparently has reached the beta stage:

    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope_Releases
    "Penelope Releases

    The first BETA release of Eudora version 8.0.0b1 (which includes the
    Penelope extension version 0.1a21) is now available for download."

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: Thunderbird+Penelope vs Eudora 5.1

    On Oct 16, 4:21 pm, "Alex K." wrote:
    > Just to put things in perspective, I see that the Penelope extension
    > version is 0.1a19.
    >
    > Based on standard versioning conventions, the 'a' in the version number
    > would indicate an alpha release. That generally indicates a *very*
    > rough stage, under heavy development, where things can change rapidly.
    > Unless one is using it for testing purposes, to provide feedback to the
    > dev team, an alpha release is not, usually, for public consumption.
    > Perhaps the extension download page should make that clear.
    >
    > For an explanation of the different stages of software development, see
    > here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ase_life_cycle
    >
    > Indeed, this page even indicates that it is in the alpha stage:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope_Extensions
    > "Penelope Extensions
    > Penelope Extension for Thunderbird Alpha 0.1 releases"

    > " * Alpha 21 (released in late August 2007) is integrated into the
    > Eudora beta release, available from the [Penelope Releases] page.
    >
    > * Download Alpha19 (released in April 2007) here via http or here
    > via ftp."
    >
    > Then, at this page, is this statement:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope#Current_Status

    That is all nice and all but when a user goes to the Thunderbird Add-
    on page at:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird
    and types in a search for Penelope they get to:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...elope&status=4
    which leads you to:
    which has a nice green "Install Now" button the page.
    No discussion of Alpha release. So don't blame the user - blame the
    sysadmin who set up the
    Penelope download page.

    -Hank

+ Reply to Thread