Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM and TB - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM and TB - Mozilla ; I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way of putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in plain Text. I have two small screen shots to show ...

  1. Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM and TB

    I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way of
    putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in plain
    Text.

    I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    place to put them for people to view.

    The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.

    problem appears on SM/TB on two Mac computers:

    G4-500 using OSX.3.9 (PPC)
    G4-1.67GB PowerBook17"(PPC)

    I use QuoteColors on both SM/TB on both Machines.
    And I use SkyPilot Theme on both SM/TB on Both Machines.

    I've tried switching themes back to standard theme
    I've disabled QuoteColors (or Turned it off). I have tried booting into
    safe Mode.

    It appears if I use the _ other people see items as Underlined but I do not

    Normally I don't cross post items. But because I have the identical
    Problems in both applications.

    Set followup only to mozilla.support.seamonkey. (as this is What I
    usually use).
    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  2. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way of
    > putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in plain
    > Text.
    >
    > I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    > place to put them for people to view.
    >

    > The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    > and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.
    >
    > problem appears on SM/TB on two Mac computers:
    >
    > G4-500 using OSX.3.9 (PPC)
    > G4-1.67GB PowerBook17"(PPC)
    >
    > I use QuoteColors on both SM/TB on both Machines.
    > And I use SkyPilot Theme on both SM/TB on Both Machines.
    >
    > I've tried switching themes back to standard theme
    > I've disabled QuoteColors (or Turned it off). I have tried booting into
    > safe Mode.
    >
    > It appears if I use the _ other people see items as Underlined but I do not
    >
    > Normally I don't cross post items. But because I have the identical
    > Problems in both applications.
    >
    > Set followup only to mozilla.support.seamonkey. (as this is What I
    > usually use).

    Do you use an underscore on _both_ sides of the word you want underlined?

    It's never _not_ worked for me!

    keith whaley
    Currently Mac OS 10.5.2, SM 1.1.9 Macintosh

  3. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    The date and time was 5/27/2008 8:44 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

    > I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way of
    > putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in plain
    > Text.
    >
    > I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    > place to put them for people to view.
    >

    > The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    > and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.
    >
    > problem appears on SM/TB on two Mac computers:
    >
    > G4-500 using OSX.3.9 (PPC)
    > G4-1.67GB PowerBook17"(PPC)
    >
    > I use QuoteColors on both SM/TB on both Machines.
    > And I use SkyPilot Theme on both SM/TB on Both Machines.
    >
    > I've tried switching themes back to standard theme
    > I've disabled QuoteColors (or Turned it off). I have tried booting into
    > safe Mode.
    >
    > It appears if I use the _ other people see items as Underlined but I do not
    >
    > Normally I don't cross post items. But because I have the identical
    > Problems in both applications.
    >
    > Set followup only to mozilla.support.seamonkey. (as this is What I
    > usually use).

    Phillip,

    I know you've tried Safe Mode, but did you try creating a new profile
    and then see if it persists? Because as other Mac users have stated, it
    works properly, so it has to be your configuration. A new profile would
    tell. Just create it and re-subscribe to this newsgroup for testing.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

    --
    Terry R.

  4. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way of
    > putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in plain
    > Text.
    >
    > I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    > place to put them for people to view.
    >

    > The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    > and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.
    >
    > problem appears on SM/TB on two Mac computers:
    >
    > G4-500 using OSX.3.9 (PPC)
    > G4-1.67GB PowerBook17"(PPC)
    >
    > I use QuoteColors on both SM/TB on both Machines.
    > And I use SkyPilot Theme on both SM/TB on Both Machines.
    >
    > I've tried switching themes back to standard theme
    > I've disabled QuoteColors (or Turned it off). I have tried booting into
    > safe Mode.
    >
    > It appears if I use the _ other people see items as Underlined but I do not
    >
    > Normally I don't cross post items. But because I have the identical
    > Problems in both applications.
    >
    > Set followup only to mozilla.support.seamonkey. (as this is What I
    > usually use).

    The PB17" uses system X.4.11

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  5. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    keith_w wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way
    >> of putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in
    >> plain Text.
    >>
    >> I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    >> place to put them for people to view.
    >>

    >> The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    >> and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.
    >>
    >> problem appears on SM/TB on two Mac computers:
    >>
    >> G4-500 using OSX.3.9 (PPC)
    >> G4-1.67GB PowerBook17"(PPC)
    >>
    >> I use QuoteColors on both SM/TB on both Machines.
    >> And I use SkyPilot Theme on both SM/TB on Both Machines.
    >>
    >> I've tried switching themes back to standard theme
    >> I've disabled QuoteColors (or Turned it off). I have tried booting
    >> into safe Mode.
    >>
    >> It appears if I use the _ other people see items as Underlined but I
    >> do not
    >>
    >> Normally I don't cross post items. But because I have the identical
    >> Problems in both applications.
    >>
    >> Set followup only to mozilla.support.seamonkey. (as this is What I
    >> usually use).

    > Do you use an underscore on _both_ sides of the word you want underlined?
    >
    > It's never _not_ worked for me!
    >
    > keith whaley
    > Currently Mac OS 10.5.2, SM 1.1.9 Macintosh

    Yes I use the underscore on both sides.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  6. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 5/27/2008 8:44 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
    > Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way
    >> of putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in
    >> plain Text.
    >>
    >> I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    >> place to put them for people to view.
    >>

    >> The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    >> and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.
    >>
    >> problem appears on SM/TB on two Mac computers:
    >>
    >> G4-500 using OSX.3.9 (PPC)
    >> G4-1.67GB PowerBook17"(PPC)
    >>
    >> I use QuoteColors on both SM/TB on both Machines.
    >> And I use SkyPilot Theme on both SM/TB on Both Machines.
    >>
    >> I've tried switching themes back to standard theme
    >> I've disabled QuoteColors (or Turned it off). I have tried booting
    >> into safe Mode.
    >>
    >> It appears if I use the _ other people see items as Underlined but I
    >> do not
    >>
    >> Normally I don't cross post items. But because I have the identical
    >> Problems in both applications.
    >>
    >> Set followup only to mozilla.support.seamonkey. (as this is What I
    >> usually use).

    > Phillip,
    >
    > I know you've tried Safe Mode, but did you try creating a new profile
    > and then see if it persists? Because as other Mac users have stated, it
    > works properly, so it has to be your configuration. A new profile would
    > tell. Just create it and re-subscribe to this newsgroup for testing.
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

    Same thing in another Profile. I have a second profile I created a long
    time ago just for testing Purposes.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  7. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    The date and time was 5/27/2008 9:45 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 5/27/2008 8:44 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
    >> Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way
    >>> of putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in
    >>> plain Text.
    >>>
    >>> I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    >>> place to put them for people to view.
    >>>

    >>> The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    >>> and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.
    >>>
    >>> problem appears on SM/TB on two Mac computers:
    >>>
    >>> G4-500 using OSX.3.9 (PPC)
    >>> G4-1.67GB PowerBook17"(PPC)
    >>>
    >>> I use QuoteColors on both SM/TB on both Machines.
    >>> And I use SkyPilot Theme on both SM/TB on Both Machines.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried switching themes back to standard theme
    >>> I've disabled QuoteColors (or Turned it off). I have tried booting
    >>> into safe Mode.
    >>>
    >>> It appears if I use the _ other people see items as Underlined but I
    >>> do not
    >>>
    >>> Normally I don't cross post items. But because I have the identical
    >>> Problems in both applications.
    >>>
    >>> Set followup only to mozilla.support.seamonkey. (as this is What I
    >>> usually use).

    >> Phillip,
    >>
    >> I know you've tried Safe Mode, but did you try creating a new profile
    >> and then see if it persists? Because as other Mac users have stated, it
    >> works properly, so it has to be your configuration. A new profile would
    >> tell. Just create it and re-subscribe to this newsgroup for testing.
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
    >>

    > Same thing in another Profile. I have a second profile I created a long
    > time ago just for testing Purposes.

    Create a third one then. "A long time ago" isn't good now.

    --
    Terry R.

  8. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    > place to put them for people to view.

    try http://imageshack.us/

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    >> place to put them for people to view.

    > try http://imageshack.us/

    Try:http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4...erline2zh3.png

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  10. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> I have two small screen shots to show what the problems is but need a
    >> place to put them for people to view.

    > try http://imageshack.us/

    and This:
    http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9...inetestum5.png

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  11. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way of
    > putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in plain
    > Text.
    > (...)
    > The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    > and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.

    Using the DOM Inspector I verified that this style is realized using a
    SPAN with class attribute value moz-txt-underscore (select keith_w's
    reply, Tools > Web Development > DOM Inspector, File > Inspect a window
    > Re: Can not view ..., click first icon, click inside message content

    preview pane, descend to browser > #document > HTML > BODY > DIV >
    second SPAN). If you can see this, too, the logic also works on your
    side. If that's the case I guess it's either a styling issue (maybe you
    edited userContent.css? It's applied to message contents, too!) or a
    font issue (I neither have a Mac nor do I know which default font you
    use so this is up to you to find out). I'd count on the latter since you
    see it in both TB and SM so it sounds more like a platform issue.

    HTH

    Jens

    --
    Jens Hatlak
    SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> I can not use the _ to underline words in plain Text. Or a better way
    >> of putting it, I can not view any items that have been underlined in
    >> plain Text.
    >> (...)
    >> The problem shows the same on the latest Mac version of T-Bird 2.0.14
    >> and on Seamonkey 1.1.9.

    > Using the DOM Inspector I verified that this style is realized using a
    > SPAN with class attribute value moz-txt-underscore (select keith_w's
    > reply, Tools > Web Development > DOM Inspector, File > Inspect a window
    > > Re: Can not view ..., click first icon, click inside message content

    > preview pane, descend to browser > #document > HTML > BODY > DIV >
    > second SPAN). If you can see this, too, the logic also works on your
    > side. If that's the case I guess it's either a styling issue (maybe you
    > edited userContent.css? It's applied to message contents, too!) or a
    > font issue (I neither have a Mac nor do I know which default font you
    > use so this is up to you to find out). I'd count on the latter since you
    > see it in both TB and SM so it sounds more like a platform issue.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens

    Courier for plain text.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  13. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> I guess it's either a styling issue (maybe you edited
    >> userContent.css? It's applied to message contents, too!) or a font
    >> issue (I neither have a Mac nor do I know which default font you
    >> use so this is up to you to find out). I'd count on the latter
    >> since you see it in both TB and SM so it sounds more like a
    >> platform issue.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Jens
    >>

    > Courier for plain text.

    I attached a minimal test case that you can load in a browser window; I
    verified that it works for me. Try changing your default monospaced font
    or commenting out entries in userContent.css if you have some. Trying
    with a fresh profile might help, too.

    HTH

    Jens

    --
    Jens Hatlak
    SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

  14. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >>> I guess it's either a styling issue (maybe you edited
    >>> userContent.css? It's applied to message contents, too!) or a font
    >>> issue (I neither have a Mac nor do I know which default font you
    >>> use so this is up to you to find out). I'd count on the latter
    >>> since you see it in both TB and SM so it sounds more like a platform
    >>> issue.
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Jens

    >> Courier for plain text.

    > I attached a minimal test case that you can load in a browser window; I
    > verified that it works for me. Try changing your default monospaced font
    > or commenting out entries in userContent.css if you have some. Trying
    > with a fresh profile might help, too.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens

    Seems to me, html is not ascii text, and it also seems to me that the "commands"
    required to perform such actions as bold, italics and underline must be applied
    to "plain text".
    Your html sample is not, by definition, plain text. Is it?

    Glad to entertain the idea that what I said don't matter in this instance. I'm
    always learning...

    keith whaley

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >>> I guess it's either a styling issue (maybe you edited
    >>> userContent.css? It's applied to message contents, too!) or a font
    >>> issue (I neither have a Mac nor do I know which default font you
    >>> use so this is up to you to find out). I'd count on the latter
    >>> since you see it in both TB and SM so it sounds more like a platform
    >>> issue.
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Jens
    >>>

    >> Courier for plain text.

    > I attached a minimal test case that you can load in a browser window; I
    > verified that it works for me. Try changing your default monospaced font
    > or commenting out entries in userContent.css if you have some. Trying
    > with a fresh profile might help, too.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens

    > moz-text-underscore test

    Tried a a new Profile same problem. I don't know enough about
    user.chrome to make any changes.

    in fact I only see two its that make a reference to user chrome:
    userContent-example.css
    userChrome-example.css

    in fact all the test profiles have these file plus one called Chrome.rdf

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  16. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > in fact all the test profiles have these file plus one called Chrome.rdf

    whatever you do, don't remove that one. That contains the
    info about your extensions.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  17. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    keith_w wrote:
    > Seems to me, html is not ascii text, and it also seems to me that the
    > "commands" required to perform such actions as bold, italics and
    > underline must be applied to "plain text".
    > Your html sample is not, by definition, plain text. Is it?

    That's all correct, but SM converts plain text emails to HTML before
    displaying them in its windows/panes. The "commands" are sent through a
    parser which converts them to CSS class attributes. The result is what
    you can see in the DOM Inspector. The underlining that you can see is
    only depending on the CSS, not on the plain text "commands" any more.
    That's why the test case can be transferred from a MailNews preview pane
    to a normal browser window (given that the needed MailNews stylesheets
    are loaded, as in my test case).

    HTH

    Jens

    --
    Jens Hatlak
    SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

  18. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Tried a a new Profile same problem.

    That sound like either a platform issue or a globally installed
    extension. Try downloading a SM ZIP build, extracting it somewhere and
    running it from there. This should effectively disable all global
    extensions.

    > I don't know enough about user.chrome to make any changes.
    >
    > in fact I only see two its that make a reference to user chrome:
    > userContent-example.css
    > userChrome-example.css

    These are the example files created in new profiles; their contents take
    no effect until the '-example' part is removed from the respective file
    name. Thus you can leave them in place; they are not the cause of your
    problem.

    HTH

    Jens

    --
    Jens Hatlak
    SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

  19. Re: Can not view words underline using Plain Text code in SM andTB

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Tried a a new Profile same problem.

    > That sound like either a platform issue or a globally installed
    > extension. Try downloading a SM ZIP build, extracting it somewhere and
    > running it from there. This should effectively disable all global
    > extensions.
    >
    >> I don't know enough about user.chrome to make any changes.
    >>
    >> in fact I only see two its that make a reference to user chrome:
    >> userContent-example.css
    >> userChrome-example.css

    > These are the example files created in new profiles; their contents take
    > no effect until the '-example' part is removed from the respective file
    > name. Thus you can leave them in place; they are not the cause of your
    > problem.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens

    Thanks.

    I think I'll just give up and just live with not seeing underline words.
    Heck I've even got in dutch with ChrisI because of this.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11