Organize bookmarks problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Organize bookmarks problem - Mozilla ; I recently upgraded to 2.0.0.3 on a couple windows machines. Since that time whenever I use "Organize bookmarks" I do not see my changes. For example, my main machine is a Linux machine. I'll sometimes copy over my bookmarks and ...

  1. Organize bookmarks problem

    I recently upgraded to 2.0.0.3 on a couple windows machines. Since that
    time whenever I use "Organize bookmarks" I do not see my changes. For
    example, my main machine is a Linux machine. I'll sometimes copy over
    my bookmarks and instead of replacing them altogether, I'll go into
    Organize/Bookmarks Manager and delete a number of entries, then import
    the other bookmarks file from my Linux machine. Prior to the upgrade
    this always worked for me.

    Now, when I delete bookmarks, it appears that nothing has happened. I
    close the Bookmarks Manager window, then re-open it. Before I re-open
    it I notice that all my bookmarks that I deleted are still showing in
    the list, but when the Bookmarks Manager window comes up they are no
    longer there. When I import, it looks like nothing has happened. I
    close the window and re-open it. Prior to re-opening it the bookmarks
    window still shows the old list of bookmarks. I open it and the new
    bookmarks are there. To get the new list to show I have to restart
    Firefox altogether, somewhat defeating what I'm trying to do when I have
    a large number of windows open and am trying to avoid a restart.

    I can't remember the last time I had anything like this occur with
    bookmarks. I haven't upgraded my Linux machine with 2.0.0.3 yet because
    this is such a hassle and I want at least one machine to be more usable.
    I haven't noticed anyone else stating they were having the same
    issue, but it's two separate machines doing this. I do have add-ons,
    but only have two dealing with bookmarks on both machines: "Add Bookmark
    Here" and "Bookmarks' Full Titles". I am on the latest versions of
    both. I'd rather find out if anyone else is seeing something similar
    before I start slashing and burning the add-ons. Anyone else see
    anything like this?

    Please respond to the group, as I rarely check my Excite account and the
    address is munged anyway (not that you can't figure it out).

  2. Re: Organize bookmarks problem

    "Kim Westerman" ...
    > Now, when I delete bookmarks, it appears that nothing has happened. I
    > close the Bookmarks Manager window, then re-open it. [Linux machine]

    Hi Kim,
    Bookmarks are not actually written until you close Firefox, so that may
    explain most of the problem. I would suggest deleting or renaming
    localstore.rdf in you profile after noting it's size. Firefox will recreate
    the file, but you will have to recustomize your toolbars -- strictly moving
    items around on toolbars or into or off of toolbars and icon size. Most
    of the things concerning toolbars are in your customization preferences
    files (chrome) and are unaffected. [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks]

    I suspect that looking at bookmarks from several different windows
    might have something to do with what you see as well, but if it does
    that would not be good. But see what happens after localstore recreation.

    As far a not wanting to stop and restart Firefox, you can solve that
    very easily by installing ... the shortcut to restart Ctrl+Alt+R
    QuickRestart :: Firefox Add-ons
    the only problem I've seen is if you were viewing a large video
    you will have to play from the start rather than where you left off.

    FWIW, I use and recommend the following bookmark extensions
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#extensions
    (for now skip Bookmarks Scrollbar until Firefox plays nice with it)
    They are all good for Windows, would think the same for Linux.
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  3. Re: Organize bookmarks problem

    On 4/2/2007 4:37 PM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the keyboard

    > "Kim Westerman" ...
    >> Now, when I delete bookmarks, it appears that nothing has happened. I
    >> close the Bookmarks Manager window, then re-open it. [Linux machine]

    > Hi Kim,
    > Bookmarks are not actually written until you close Firefox, so that may
    > explain most of the problem. I would suggest deleting or renaming
    > localstore.rdf in you profile after noting it's size. Firefox will recreate
    > the file, but you will have to recustomize your toolbars -- strictly moving
    > items around on toolbars or into or off of toolbars and icon size. Most
    > of the things concerning toolbars are in your customization preferences
    > files (chrome) and are unaffected. [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks]
    >
    > I suspect that looking at bookmarks from several different windows
    > might have something to do with what you see as well, but if it does
    > that would not be good. But see what happens after localstore recreation.
    >
    > As far a not wanting to stop and restart Firefox, you can solve that
    > very easily by installing ... the shortcut to restart Ctrl+Alt+R
    > QuickRestart :: Firefox Add-ons
    > the only problem I've seen is if you were viewing a large video
    > you will have to play from the start rather than where you left off.
    >
    > FWIW, I use and recommend the following bookmark extensions
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#extensions
    > (for now skip Bookmarks Scrollbar until Firefox plays nice with it)
    > They are all good for Windows, would think the same for Linux.

    David,

    I just tested what you stated above and the bookmark was written to file
    immediately after adding the bookmark, and FF is still open.

    --
    Terry

  4. Re: Organize bookmarks problem

    "Terry" wrote...
    > > "Kim Westerman" ...
    > >> Now, when I delete bookmarks, it appears that nothing has happened. I
    > >> close the Bookmarks Manager window, then re-open it. [Linux machine]

    > David,
    > I just tested what you stated above and the bookmark was written to file
    > immediately after adding the bookmark, and FF is still open.

    Hi Terry,
    Okay, I got same result -- not only is bookmarks.html immediately written
    but so is bookmarks.bak -- still one difference though if I sort bookmarks
    (right click and sort)
    in Organize bookmarks it is not shown sorted in bookmarks.html until
    Firefox is recycled though it does retain the sorting in organize bookmarks
    if reinvoked in same cycle.

    Anyway waiting to see Kim's results after localstore.rdf gets recreated.

  5. Re: Organize bookmarks problem

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Terry" wrote...
    >>> "Kim Westerman" ...

    >> David,
    >> I just tested what you stated above and the bookmark was written to file
    >> immediately after adding the bookmark, and FF is still open.

    > Hi Terry,
    > Okay, I got same result -- not only is bookmarks.html immediately written
    > but so is bookmarks.bak -- still one difference though if I sort bookmarks
    > (right click and sort)
    > in Organize bookmarks it is not shown sorted in bookmarks.html until
    > Firefox is recycled though it does retain the sorting in organize bookmarks
    > if reinvoked in same cycle.
    >
    > Anyway waiting to see Kim's results after localstore.rdf gets recreated.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but it did no good. Nothing different than
    what I had before.

+ Reply to Thread