Firefox keeps opening - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox keeps opening - Mozilla ; Multiple windows popping up. Out of nowhere Firefox windows started popping up repeatedly, and then eventually other programs started launching as well. The behaviour is that firefox keeps opening and opening up all my "home page" pages--it doesn't take me ...

  1. Firefox keeps opening

    Multiple windows popping up.

    Out of nowhere Firefox windows started popping up repeatedly, and then
    eventually other programs started launching as well. The behaviour is
    that firefox keeps opening and opening up all my "home page" pages--it
    doesn't take me to any other URLs. There is no set time limit to how
    often it opens a new window sometime several in a row, sometimes once
    every few minutes. These aren't popups--I don't have to be running
    Firefox at all for this to start. I tried launching in safe mode and
    running a full virus scan but it couldn't find anything. This happened
    while I was running Windows 2003 Server SP1. I booted up into the
    other partition running XP and the problems started happening there as
    well. (I guess the virus went looking for extra partitions?) I have
    AVG antivirus/antispam on the XP partition and it couldnt' find
    anything.

    I wasn't doing anything in particular that was strange at the time
    this started happening, only had mainstream websites open. I was
    running Windows Live Messenger but did't download any files from it. I
    hadn't opened any files from email-I never open files I wasn't
    expecting. I have a modem that does NAT translation, and IIS web
    server has been shut off. I am using Symantec Antivirus with latest
    updates (on the W2003 partition). I saw something on the internet
    about a virus with Firefox that would let users control the computer--
    this sounded like that one but not quite, wish I could find the link
    again to that trojan's description, but basically I couldn't find the
    reg key it has mentioned. I also found no suspicious processes in Task
    Manager.

    I reimaged the partition with the problem and upgraded Firefox to
    version 2 this time (first time was 1.5). I started seeing the
    problems again right away! Actually, I go to IE 6 and it keeps
    refreshing to the homepage (in the same window). So not a complete
    Firefox issue perhaps but that is where I first saw it.

    How do I figure out what this is? Anyone seen this before?

  2. Re: Firefox keeps opening

    Kayda wrote:
    > Multiple windows popping up.
    >
    > Out of nowhere Firefox windows started popping up repeatedly, and then
    > eventually other programs started launching as well. The behavior is
    > that firefox keeps opening and opening up all my "home page" pages--it
    > doesn't take me to any other URLs. There is no set time limit to how
    > often it opens a new window sometime several in a row, sometimes once
    > every few minutes. These aren't popups--I don't have to be running
    > Firefox at all for this to start. I tried launching in safe mode and
    > running a full virus scan but it couldn't find anything. This happened
    > while I was running Windows 2003 Server SP1. I booted up into the
    > other partition running XP and the problems started happening there as
    > well. (I guess the virus went looking for extra partitions?) I have
    > AVG antivirus/antispam on the XP partition and it couldnt' find
    > anything.
    >
    > I wasn't doing anything in particular that was strange at the time
    > this started happening, only had mainstream websites open. I was
    > running Windows Live Messenger but did't download any files from it. I
    > hadn't opened any files from email-I never open files I wasn't
    > expecting. I have a modem that does NAT translation, and IIS web
    > server has been shut off. I am using Symantec Antivirus with latest
    > updates (on the W2003 partition). I saw something on the internet
    > about a virus with Firefox that would let users control the computer--
    > this sounded like that one but not quite, wish I could find the link
    > again to that trojan's description, but basically I couldn't find the
    > reg key it has mentioned. I also found no suspicious processes in Task
    > Manager.
    >
    > I reimaged the partition with the problem and upgraded Firefox to
    > version 2 this time (first time was 1.5). I started seeing the
    > problems again right away! Actually, I go to IE 6 and it keeps
    > refreshing to the homepage (in the same window). So not a complete
    > Firefox issue perhaps but that is where I first saw it.
    >
    > How do I figure out what this is? Anyone seen this before?

    similar issue
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open"

  3. Re: Firefox keeps opening

    Kayda wrote:
    > Multiple windows popping up.
    >
    > Out of nowhere Firefox windows started popping up repeatedly, and then
    > eventually other programs started launching as well. The behaviour is
    > that firefox keeps opening and opening up all my "home page" pages--it
    > doesn't take me to any other URLs. There is no set time limit to how
    > often it opens a new window sometime several in a row, sometimes once
    > every few minutes. These aren't popups--I don't have to be running
    > Firefox at all for this to start. I tried launching in safe mode and
    > running a full virus scan but it couldn't find anything. This happened
    > while I was running Windows 2003 Server SP1. I booted up into the
    > other partition running XP and the problems started happening there as
    > well. (I guess the virus went looking for extra partitions?) I have
    > AVG antivirus/antispam on the XP partition and it couldnt' find
    > anything.
    >
    > I wasn't doing anything in particular that was strange at the time
    > this started happening, only had mainstream websites open. I was
    > running Windows Live Messenger but did't download any files from it. I
    > hadn't opened any files from email-I never open files I wasn't
    > expecting. I have a modem that does NAT translation, and IIS web
    > server has been shut off. I am using Symantec Antivirus with latest
    > updates (on the W2003 partition). I saw something on the internet
    > about a virus with Firefox that would let users control the computer--
    > this sounded like that one but not quite, wish I could find the link
    > again to that trojan's description, but basically I couldn't find the
    > reg key it has mentioned. I also found no suspicious processes in Task
    > Manager.
    >
    > I reimaged the partition with the problem and upgraded Firefox to
    > version 2 this time (first time was 1.5). I started seeing the
    > problems again right away! Actually, I go to IE 6 and it keeps
    > refreshing to the homepage (in the same window). So not a complete
    > Firefox issue perhaps but that is where I first saw it.
    >
    > How do I figure out what this is? Anyone seen this before?

    you may also want to scan with other virus checkers, and
    scan with spyware checker, and any other checkers you can find.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

+ Reply to Thread