ad block not working - Mozilla

This is a discussion on ad block not working - Mozilla ; latest edition of the adblock extension installed and enabled with no exceptions. I go to any site with ads and it fails to remove them from my browser, see here: http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/4731/untitledtf7.png any idea why?...

  1. ad block not working

    latest edition of the adblock extension installed and enabled with no
    exceptions. I go to any site with ads and it fails to remove them from
    my browser, see here: http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/4731/untitledtf7.png

    any idea why?

  2. Re: ad block not working

    lrbtav wrote:
    > latest edition of the adblock extension installed and enabled with no
    > exceptions. I go to any site with ads and it fails to remove them from
    > my browser, see here: http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/4731/untitledtf7.png

    I hope you are using Adblock plus, and not the old Adblock. If you are
    using the old version, upgrade.

    Most likely the problem is quite simple. Adblock does not actually
    remove any adds, it doesn't even know what an add is. For it to remove
    adds, someone needs to first tell what adds look like and what should be
    removed.

    There are ready made lists available that are maintained by various
    people, here is a list of those lists (Clicking the Subscribe link opens
    a verification dialog.):

    If you don't find a list suitable for you or you don't like the
    quolality of the lists. You can also create such list by yourself. Again
    you have two alternatives:
    - Add each add with full paths one by one. This is slow, but very
    accurate. With dynamic adds this also doesn't work very well.
    - Or add part of the path using * as a wildcard. For example string
    "*add*" would remove all images that have "add" somewhere in the path.
    That is often too general rule as images like "addiction.jpg" would be
    removed also. One good method is usually add start of the path where
    adds are located. For example it might look like this
    "http://addserver.example/banners/*".

    Right click over an image and select "adblock image" to open the dialog
    where you can block it or modify the string to contain wildcards. Or
    press ctrl+shift+b (or press the adblock plus button on the toolbar
    (customize toolbar and add the button if you don't have it)), which
    opens a list of possible blockable elements in the page where you can
    just select an element by doubleclicking it.

    For more info, visit adblock plus website:
    http://adblockplus.org/en/documentation

  3. Re: ad block not working

    lrbtav wrote:
    > latest edition of the adblock extension installed and enabled with no
    > exceptions. I go to any site with ads and it fails to remove them
    > from my browser, see here:
    > http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/4731/untitledtf7.png
    >
    > any idea why?

    Adblock plus doesn't block any flash/java content of a webpage ( in your
    case it seems like an Flash ad ), it just shows an 'Adblock' tab on it .
    click on the 'Adblock' tab > 'Add Filter' > Ok

    you may use 'flash block' : "http://flashblock.mozdev.org/"

+ Reply to Thread