Bottom Posting - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Bottom Posting - Mozilla ; Chris Barnes wrote: > Leonidas Jones wrote: >> It is serving no useful support purpose. Right now, I am trying to >> catch up after a necessary hiatus. Every time I open this group to >> catch up on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Results 161 to 177 of 177

  1. Re: Bottom Posting

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> It is serving no useful support purpose. Right now, I am trying to
    >> catch up after a necessary hiatus. Every time I open this group to
    >> catch up on the support questions, I'm hit with this thread.

    > Have you tried clicking on the "-" next to the first post of the thread?
    >
    > ...or.... even better....
    >
    > hitting the "\" key?

    Yeah, I know, but, as Ron pointed out, there have been some posts of
    interest. It just seems to me that we could better focus our attention
    on peoples problems. Just a suggestion.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  2. Re: Bottom Posting

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> I don't like to kill threads as sometimes other nuggets of info happen.

    > It ain't gonna happen here - trust me! You sound like the sort who is
    > paranoid that he might just miss something...
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > A singles bar is a place people go to in hopes of meeting the sort of
    > person who wouldn't be caught dead in a singles bar.

    Naw, not paranoid. I just like to learn what I can. I skip the junk.

  3. Re: Bottom Posting

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >>> I don't like to kill threads as sometimes other nuggets of info happen.

    >> It ain't gonna happen here - trust me! You sound like the sort who is
    >> paranoid that he might just miss something...
    >> --
    >> Andrew DeFaria
    >> A singles bar is a place people go to in hopes of meeting the sort of
    >> person who wouldn't be caught dead in a singles bar.

    > Naw, not paranoid. I just like to learn what I can. I skip the junk.

    You'll learn nothing here. Nothing to see here. Just move along...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If you're sending someone some Styrofoam, what do you pack it in?

  4. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 02/03/2007 01:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 3/1/2007 4:20 PM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
    > the keyboard
    >

    >> Terry wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 3/1/2007 2:14 PM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
    >>> the keyboard

    <>

    > I think that only happens when the poster uses HTML (andrew is the only
    > one I see that happen to, or an OE user without quotefix does that too I
    > believe).

    OE posters "top post" and their dig.del. deletes all the quoted post....
    which is why they often wonder where their post has gone to...

    reg

  5. Re: Bottom Posting

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-03-02 03:19 (-0700 UTC), Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> A sig delimiter is that little thing consisting of two hyphens
    >>> followed by a dash[ . . . ].

    >> Actually, it is two dashes, followed by a space.

    > You learnt to type on a typewriter: When you had to 'make a dash' (as
    > it were :-P ) on a typewriter, what did you do?

    Pressed the '-' key.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  6. Re: Bottom Posting

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 02.03.2007 04:19, Ron Hunter wrote:

    I thought it was a minus sign. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  7. Re: Bottom Posting

    --
    FrankO
    "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" wrote in message
    news:9LednQysc5XazXrYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > FrankO wrote:
    >> My question had to do with FF 2.0 and opening last used tabs, which was
    >> answered for me via e-mail by a very nice young man. With all the bottom
    >> posting, it probably got lost in the shuffle. Thanks anyway for your
    >> concern.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what you mean by "sig delimiter" and the term "troll";
    >> people, I am terribly sorry for the confusion you caused, but very happy
    >> I got what I came after.

    > Sig Delimiter is short for Signature delimiter.
    >
    > it the dash dash space you see between the end os message text, and your
    > signature information.
    >
    > Its supposed to be used by servers to whack off the signature information.
    >
    > It almost never does. for example on Mozilla servers it just Greys the the
    > information or makes it a little more translucent.
    >
    > A Troll is a person that post question or information just for the sole
    > purpose of wasting bandwidth , and taking up time on on useless posts and
    > replies.
    >
    > You were not a Troll. you didn't know any better by posting why don't
    > everyone top post. The subject brings out seething hatred in people, that
    > can't entertain the idea of doing something different.
    >
    > I sometimes wonder if some of the Bottom poster were to come in contact
    > with Top posters whether they wouldn't beat them to a pulp with a baseball
    > bat.
    >
    > It all over something silly posting and reading style. Its nonsense. And
    > Maybe in 100 years it will be over and done with. :-)
    >

    > --
    > Phillip M. Jones, CET http://www.vpea.org
    > If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    > http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm
    > Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9 Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 Gb, OSX.4.8

    You, sir, I like and understand, very much unlike some others here. I thank
    you for your polite explanations and your courtesy.
    --
    FrankO

  8. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 2007-03-02 13:44 (-0700 UTC), Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> Actually, it is two dashes, followed by a space.

    >> You learnt to type on a typewriter: When you had to 'make a dash' (as
    >> it were :-P ) on a typewriter, what did you do?

    > Pressed the '-' key.

    And probably did so either twice (typewriter en-dash) or thrice (typewriter
    em-dash), since doing so once is simply a hyphen.

    Actually, this has carried over to word processing programmes: if you type
    two hyphens, most will automagically convert them to an en-dash after you
    press ; if you type three hyphens, most will automagically
    convert them to an em-dash.

    /b.

    --
    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  9. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 01/03/2007 14:35, this hallowed ground was sullied by Andrew DeFaria,
    who deposited this steaming pile:

    > Here's a clue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

    So after seeing that, will anyone trust it with file manipulation...
    "format d... delete c... whoops"

  10. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 01/03/2007 09:43, this hallowed ground was sullied by Ron Hunter, who
    deposited this steaming pile:

    >> It wouldn't just be a client change though would it... wouldn't it
    >> need some changes to the way the messages are stored on the servers?

    > No, why?

    How would the client KNOW what is a quote and what isnt?

    Short of analysing for repeated blocks in earlier replies anyway!

  11. Re: Bottom Posting

    Forgot to include this...

    If I were to reply on the bottom of a quote but your client is set to
    read quotes last, how would it differentiate what was quoted, and what
    was a reply?

  12. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 2007-03-02 19:35 (-0700 UTC), Lord Zoolook wrote:

    > On 01/03/2007 14:35, this hallowed ground was sullied by Andrew DeFaria,
    > who deposited this steaming pile:
    >
    >> Here's a clue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

    > So after seeing that, will anyone trust it with file manipulation...
    > "format d... delete c... whoops"

    *ROTFL!!* -- Ach! I hadn't even thought of that.

    The video had me laughing harder than I have in over a year and a half, but
    that thought, however sobering it might be, makes it just that much funnier!

    /b.

    --
    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  13. Re: Bottom Posting

    Lord Zoolook wrote:
    > On 01/03/2007 09:43, this hallowed ground was sullied by Ron Hunter, who
    > deposited this steaming pile:
    >
    >>> It wouldn't just be a client change though would it... wouldn't it
    >>> need some changes to the way the messages are stored on the servers?

    >> No, why?

    > How would the client KNOW what is a quote and what isnt?
    >
    > Short of analysing for repeated blocks in earlier replies anyway!

    It can't, but then neither can the server. However, most clients do
    give indication of what is a quotation, and to what level. (see above).
    Note the three levels of quotation in the text above, which renders in
    blue on my client, which also (uselessly) checks the spelling of the
    quotation....

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  14. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 03/03/2007 07:40, this hallowed ground was sullied by Ron Hunter, who
    deposited this steaming pile:

    > It can't, but then neither can the server. However, most clients do
    > give indication of what is a quotation, and to what level. (see above).
    > Note the three levels of quotation in the text above, which renders in
    > blue on my client, which also (uselessly) checks the spelling of the
    > quotation....

    Thats also something for a wish-list maybe... an option to not check
    quoted spelling.

  15. Re: Bottom Posting

    Lord Zoolook wrote:
    > On 01/03/2007 14:35, this hallowed ground was sullied by Andrew
    > DeFaria, who deposited this steaming pile:
    >> Here's a clue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

    > So after seeing that, will anyone trust it with file manipulation...
    > "format d... delete c... whoops"

    I do! Then again I use Cygwin . ;-)
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    I was hitchhiking the other day, and a hearse stopped. I said, "No

  16. Re: Bottom Posting

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Lord Zoolook wrote:
    >> On 01/03/2007 09:43, this hallowed ground was sullied by Ron Hunter,
    >> who deposited this steaming pile:
    >>> No, why?

    >> How would the client KNOW what is a quote and what isnt?
    >>
    >> Short of analysing for repeated blocks in earlier replies anyway!

    > It can't, but then neither can the server. However, most clients do
    > give indication of what is a quotation, and to what level. (see above).

    I guess what people are advocating (or at least what I'm saying) is that
    the format of news would change radically, thus requiring new standards
    and new servers and clients. Therefore the server would be told, though
    adherence to the new protocol, exactly what was quoted, to what level,
    who did the writing, where the sig was, what the sig was, etc. IOW
    structured! Then the clients, having more knowledge about the structure
    of the post, would be able to provide much better options when asked to
    redisplay the message.
    > Note the three levels of quotation in the text above, which renders in
    > blue on my client, which also (uselessly) checks the spelling of the
    > quotation....

    Not sure what client you are using but TB does not spell check quoted
    material (thank god as most people can't spell for crap!)
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Do Lipton Tea employees take coffee breaks?

  17. Re: Bottom Posting

    On Feb 27, 11:55 pm, "Frank Parmelee"
    wrote:
    > Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol. By
    > using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.
    >
    > --
    > FrankO

    Maybe, if this is all you have to say in a Firefox group, you should
    consider not-posting.

    (Maybe I should as well.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9