Bottom Posting - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Bottom Posting - Mozilla ; On 27/02/2007 22:55, Frank Parmelee decided to send this crud: > Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol. By > using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read. I am open to any and all reasons ...

  1. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 27/02/2007 22:55, Frank Parmelee decided to send this crud:
    > Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol. By
    > using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.

    I am open to any and all reasons why top posting would help thread flow.
    Unfortunately, no-one seems able to actually GIVE one!

  2. [OT] Re: Bottom Posting

    On 2/28/2007 10:52 AM On a whim, Lord Zoolook pounded out on the keyboard

    > And furthermore... to quote a random post on
    > microsoft.public.windowsXP.general as an example of the "wisdom" in the
    > group.
    >
    > > Leave the registry alone and don't use a registry cleaner. Despite
    > > what many people think, and what vendors of registry cleaning software
    > > try to convince you of, having unused registry entries doesn't really
    > > hurt you.

    > I wonder if he is running a 486dx, because with a defragmented registry
    > with 100s of dead entries... he might as fu

    That is "fragmented registry" I believe. Yeah, many of the MVP's there
    are against cleaning the registry. I don't recommend that my clients do
    it, but I will do it for them.

    Let's see, I've been in business since 1978. If I never moved ANY
    outdated file folders out of our cabinets, would it slow anyone down
    trying to locate information?

    --
    Terry

  3. Re: Bottom Posting

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Frank Parmelee wrote:
    >> Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol.
    >> By using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.
    >>

    > sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    > newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

    I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    here and above, and a top-poster will instead see:

    I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    here and above, and a top-poster will see:

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    > newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

    > Frank Parmelee wrote:
    >> Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol.
    >> By using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.
    >>

    > sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    > newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

  4. Re: [OT] Re: Bottom Posting

    > That is "fragmented registry" I believe. Yeah, many of the MVP's there
    > are against cleaning the registry. I don't recommend that my clients do
    > it, but I will do it for them.

    Fair cop, I did mean FRAGMENTED!

    > Let's see, I've been in business since 1978. If I never moved ANY
    > outdated file folders out of our cabinets, would it slow anyone down
    > trying to locate information?

    You'd notice a marked improvement at boot time, not overly sure if you'd
    see much improvement afterwards.

  5. Re: Bottom Posting

    C A Upsdell > wrote:
    > I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    > automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    > will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    > see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    > here and above, and a top-poster will instead see:

    hmmmm, interesting. I wonder how that would work? Probably a re-write
    of the entire code. Mabye someone could come up with an extension to do
    that.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  6. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 28/02/2007 19:13, this hallowed ground was sullied by C A Upsdell >,
    who deposited this steaming pile:

    > I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    > automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    > will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    > see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    > here and above, and a top-poster will instead see:

    I guess theoretically, it would be possible...

    I suppose it could just be a case of setting a single variable to the
    quoted text, and then having the option to set WHERE the %quote variable
    would show in the client... but would it really be THAT practical to
    completely re-write the server code to facilitate it.

    Thunderbird (unless I am mistaken) just looks for a certain character at
    the start of a line ( ">" or maybe ":" ) and displays that line as
    quoted text. If thats right, then ANY line beginning with that character
    would show as a quote.

  7. Re: Bottom Posting

    Lord Zoolook wrote:
    > On 28/02/2007 16:45, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T decided to send this crud:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> in every group I've been in its bottom posting.

    >>> my heart bleeds for you

    >>> the real world within these newsgroups is bottom or interspersion
    >>> posting.

    >> go read the following groups in the real world.
    >>
    >> msnews:
    >> microsoft.public.mac.office.word
    >> microsoft.public.mac.office.excel
    >> microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint
    >>
    >> And The PC equivalents.
    >>
    >> You find the major of all the post in those groups (which are small
    >> sample) are top post or intersperse.
    >>
    >> If anyone wishes to debate whether MicroSoft is or is not the 900
    >> pound Gorilla I'm afraid they will lose that argument
    >>
    >> Mozilla/SM/FF/TB are but just drops in the bucket. And we had better
    >> hitch on to the band wagon if we don't won't to be fond faint memory.
    >>
    >> There rules we follow now were defined by a bunch of College and armed
    >> service geek types back in the 60's 70's. We have turned to another
    >> century. and we need to be modern and up to date. Yet we are being
    >> forced to use a posting type that devised by a bunch 50/60 year old
    >> academics in the 60's.
    >>>

    > Should I laugh or cry?
    >
    > In terms of "netiquette" I would rather ban microsoft newsgroups
    > altogether then follow them because they are a "900 lb gorilla" and
    > everyone else on the net is a "drop in a bucket".
    >
    > Anyone who uses that argument to suggest we all follow them needs to be
    > publicly flogged!

    Its not a an argument, its a dose or reality. MS has the power. They are
    the largest corporate entity in the world. Al they need to do is if they
    wanted to is get those previous standards banned and taken off. It all
    depends upon the whims of Mr. Gates

    Just look at the recent developments of MS Office products. They went
    from proprietary .doc format to supposed to be open source XML format.

    Problem is, its their version of XML is just as as proprietary.

    So actually no one is any better off. They've actually left Mac Users
    hanging twisting in the wind for at least another year.

  8. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 2/28/2007 11:32 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
    out on the keyboard

    > C A Upsdell > wrote:
    >> I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    >> automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    >> will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    >> see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    >> here and above, and a top-poster will instead see:

    > hmmmm, interesting. I wonder how that would work? Probably a re-write
    > of the entire code. Mabye someone could come up with an extension to do
    > that.

    It would stumble on the issue in a current thread about those who refuse
    to use a sig delimiter. That is a cool idea.

    But if it was a user setting to view top or bottom posting, would that
    require an orderly aligned thread (top to bottom) for it to work? hmmmm

    --
    Terry

  9. Re: [OT] Re: Bottom Posting

    Terry wrote:
    > On 2/28/2007 10:52 AM On a whim, Lord Zoolook pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> And furthermore... to quote a random post on
    >> microsoft.public.windowsXP.general as an example of the "wisdom" in
    >> the group.
    >>
    >> > Leave the registry alone and don't use a registry cleaner. Despite
    >> > what many people think, and what vendors of registry cleaning software
    >> > try to convince you of, having unused registry entries doesn't really
    >> > hurt you.

    >> I wonder if he is running a 486dx, because with a defragmented
    >> registry with 100s of dead entries... he might as fu
    >
    > That is "fragmented registry" I believe. Yeah, many of the MVP's there
    > are against cleaning the registry. I don't recommend that my clients do
    > it, but I will do it for them.
    >
    > Let's see, I've been in business since 1978. If I never moved ANY
    > outdated file folders out of our cabinets, would it slow anyone down
    > trying to locate information?

    Not if you properly filed them with the newest years in front and
    progressively further back with the older years.

    start with 2007 Folder in top drawer, From of First cabinet to left then
    when drawer filled move down to second drawer, then third, then fourth.
    the next cabinet to the right of that first cabinet and repeat

    |/|/|/|/|/|

    then to basement
    |/|/|/|/|/| .......

    Newest record always to the front and top most drawer of cabinet.

  10. Re: Bottom Posting

    "Lord Zoolook" wrote in message
    > On 27/02/2007 22:55, Frank Parmelee decided to send this crud:
    >> Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol. By
    >> using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.

    > I am open to any and all reasons why top posting would help thread flow.
    > Unfortunately, no-one seems able to actually GIVE one!

    It might not help "thread flow," but it probably helps those who visit a
    group every day and closely follow the threads -- such as the volunteer
    helpers on a group. So, top posting might make sense for them because they
    are already familiar with the points made in previous posts in a thread. Top
    posting would save them a little time and some keystrokes.

    But for the rest, especially those who want everything self-contained in the
    most recent post, bottom posting makes sense.

    In any case, since those who set up a group have their own preferences in
    this matter, and the rest of us are visitors "in their home," so to speak,
    we should follow their rules. Some groups prefer top posting, others prefer
    bottom posting.

    Now, if we could just get folks to put more space between their reply and
    other material, as both you and I did, it would help make it easier to pick
    out the various replies in active threads -- whether top or bottom posted.

    Just my two cents.

  11. Re: Bottom Posting

    Lord Zoolook wrote:
    > On 27/02/2007 22:55, Frank Parmelee decided to send this crud:
    >> Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol.
    >> By using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.

    > I am open to any and all reasons why top posting would help thread flow.
    > Unfortunately, no-one seems able to actually GIVE one!

    Its a time savings in a support group.

    The original question should be stated in the Subject line.
    The original post would be to explain.

    Then the most recent reply is on top. Others read the the most recent
    reply they add if they don't they go on to the next. by posting to the
    top on a "Support" group you save 40% of your time reading and replying.

    You waste 40% of your time by either scrolling to bottom or even mouse
    clicking at the bottom of the scroll bar.

    Its rare that I would want to post to someone in the middle of a
    properly threaded post. Its rare That I intersperse a reply. maybe 1 out
    200 post I read. Most days never. Someday I do more frequently. I don't
    like doing it though, even though it may be necessary.

  12. Re: Bottom Posting

    C A Upsdell > wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Frank Parmelee wrote:
    >>> Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol.
    >>> By using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.
    >>>

    >> sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    >> newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

    > I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    > automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    > will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    > see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    > here and above, and a top-poster will instead see:
    >
    > I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    > automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    > will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    > see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    > here and above, and a top-poster will see:
    >
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > > sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    > > newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

    > > Frank Parmelee wrote:
    > >> Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol.
    > >> By using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.
    > >>

    > > sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    > > newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

    I've already suggested that. But most people have just laughed at it and
    say its a silly idea and would be impossible to implement.

    The argument is not winnable.

    I think its down right funny. I am chastised all the time for not
    wanting changes in SM/FF/TB. Yet when I advocate this and the use of
    Simple HTML Mail as the norm I get chastised as well.

  13. Re: Bottom Posting

    Terry wrote:
    > On 2/28/2007 11:32 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
    > out on the keyboard
    >
    >> C A Upsdell > wrote:
    >>> I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    >>> automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer
    >>> top-posting will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer
    >>> bottom-posting will see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster
    >>> would see what you see here and above, and a top-poster will instead
    >>> see:

    >> hmmmm, interesting. I wonder how that would work? Probably a re-write
    >> of the entire code. Mabye someone could come up with an extension to
    >> do that.
    >>

    > It would stumble on the issue in a current thread about those who refuse
    > to use a sig delimiter. That is a cool idea.

    and for those who insist on using vcards or Enigmail/pgp within newsgroups.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  14. Re: Bottom Posting

    Think back to colonial times when the fore fathers of our country (USA)
    would use a quill and ink and pound out such eloquent prose onto
    parchment, often responding to their friends and fellow citizens who had
    written them recently. They knew English (not lke 2days homies who r
    used 2 thum typing to they r peeps on there cells - from their cells!)
    and used it well without "quoting" the previous letter rather capturing
    the essence of the thoughts conveyed from the previous correspondence
    and yet often adding as eloquent if not more reasoned an argument or
    statement. Do you think they took the time and effort merely as a matter
    of professional courtesy or perhaps because they knew it'd be 6 months
    until they'd read a response? Ah those were the days. Now a days we have
    bitch fests of broken English and bad grammar from computer geeks who
    never get any sun nor get any (if you know what I mean).

    What if (shudders...) the technology were improved such that all past
    conversation was carried along in the response and displayed as per the
    readers preference? So you like top posting - I'll give you top posting.
    You like bottom posting - no problem. Interspersed would be a lot more
    difficult of course. But think of this benefit - theoretically if you
    killed files john@smith.com this software should be able to kill his
    quote if somebody else quoted him...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    What happened to Preparations A through G?

  15. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 28/02/2007 00:46, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Frank Parmelee
    to generate the following:? :
    > In any other newsgroup but this one, top posting is convention or the norm
    > making for smoother [easier reading] thread flow. I find it very difficult
    > to sift through this newsgroup for information because of the insistence on
    > bottom posting. I just thought you might want to join the real world, that's
    > all.

    sorry, mate, but *in the real world* we read from top to bottom... and
    NOT bottom to top!

    reg

  16. Re: [OT] Re: Bottom Posting

    On 28/02/2007 20:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 2/28/2007 10:52 AM On a whim, Lord Zoolook pounded out on the keyboard
    >

    >> And furthermore... to quote a random post on
    >> microsoft.public.windowsXP.general as an example of the "wisdom" in the
    >> group.
    >>
    >> > Leave the registry alone and don't use a registry cleaner. Despite
    >> > what many people think, and what vendors of registry cleaning software
    >> > try to convince you of, having unused registry entries doesn't really
    >> > hurt you.

    >> I wonder if he is running a 486dx, because with a defragmented registry
    >> with 100s of dead entries... he might as fu >>

    <>
    > Let's see, I've been in business since 1978. If I never moved ANY
    > outdated file folders out of our cabinets, would it slow anyone down
    > trying to locate information?

    maybe not, Terry, but it sure makes opening the cabinets hard going *lol*

    reg

  17. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 28/02/2007 20:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > Lord Zoolook wrote:

    >>> go read the following groups in the real world.
    >>>
    >>> msnews:
    >>> microsoft.public.mac.office.word
    >>> microsoft.public.mac.office.excel
    >>> microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint
    >>>
    >>> And The PC equivalents.
    >>>
    >>> You find the major of all the post in those groups (which are small
    >>> sample) are top post or intersperse.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone wishes to debate whether MicroSoft is or is not the 900
    >>> pound Gorilla I'm afraid they will lose that argument
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla/SM/FF/TB are but just drops in the bucket. And we had better
    >>> hitch on to the band wagon if we don't won't to be fond faint memory.
    >>>
    >>> There rules we follow now were defined by a bunch of College and armed
    >>> service geek types back in the 60's 70's. We have turned to another
    >>> century. and we need to be modern and up to date. Yet we are being
    >>> forced to use a posting type that devised by a bunch 50/60 year old
    >>> academics in the 60's.
    >>>

    >> Should I laugh or cry?
    >>
    >> In terms of "netiquette" I would rather ban microsoft newsgroups
    >> altogether then follow them because they are a "900 lb gorilla" and
    >> everyone else on the net is a "drop in a bucket".
    >>
    >> Anyone who uses that argument to suggest we all follow them needs to be
    >> publicly flogged!
    >>

    > Its not a an argument, its a dose or reality. MS has the power. They are
    > the largest corporate entity in the world. Al they need to do is if they
    > wanted to is get those previous standards banned and taken off. It all
    > depends upon the whims of Mr. Gates
    >
    > Just look at the recent developments of MS Office products. They went
    > from proprietary .doc format to supposed to be open source XML format.
    >
    > Problem is, its their version of XML is just as as proprietary.
    >
    > So actually no one is any better off. They've actually left Mac Users
    > hanging twisting in the wind for at least another year.

    ..... and look at the Vista sales record... if it wasn't getting *given
    away* as OEM, the percentage would be around 1%

    reg

  18. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 28/02/2007 02:26, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
    Shark to generate the following:? :
    > Frank Parmelee wrote:
    >

    >> In any other newsgroup but this one, top posting is convention or the norm
    >>

    > As they say in rougher circles: bull****.

    tut-tut Blinkey.... that's "censor post" that is!

    reg

  19. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 28/02/2007 21:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > C A Upsdell > wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    >>> newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    >>>

    >> I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    >> automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    >> will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    >> see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    >> here and above, and a top-poster will instead see:
    >>
    >> I agree, but ... maybe what we need is an option in our newsreader to
    >> automatically reorganize responses so that those who prefer top-posting
    >> will see messages top-posted, and those that prefer bottom-posting will
    >> see messages bottom-posted. So a bottom poster would see what you see
    >> here and above, and a top-poster will see:
    >>
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> > sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    >> > newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

    >> > sorry, but bottom posting is requested [and the norm] within these
    >> > newsgroups: http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html

    > I've already suggested that. But most people have just laughed at it and
    > say its a silly idea and would be impossible to implement.
    >
    > The argument is not winnable.
    >
    > I think its down right funny. I am chastised all the time for not
    > wanting changes in SM/FF/TB. Yet when I advocate this and the use of
    > Simple HTML Mail as the norm I get chastised as well.

    give up, Phillip... ya can't win one and ya certainly can't win em all ;-)

    reg

  20. Re: Bottom Posting

    On 28/02/2007 03:50, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused caver1 to
    generate the following:? :
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Frank Parmelee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Would everyone please follow convention and use top-posting protocol.
    >>> By using top-posting protocol, thread flow is much easier to read.
    >>>

    >> Do you normally read from bottom up? I disagree about top posting being
    >> easier to read.
    >> In any case, the convention in THIS group is bottom posting, and going
    >> against the convention won't make you popular.
    >>

    > I always thought it was "When in Rome......."

    That's Dan's line..... :-P

    reg