Web sites that resize the Firefox window - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Web sites that resize the Firefox window - Mozilla ; Hello; I occasionally go to sites that resize the Firefox (Minefield) window. Is there any way to keep this from happening? I then have to resize it to get it back to what I want, and it's a hassle. I'm ...

  1. Web sites that resize the Firefox window

    Hello;

    I occasionally go to sites that resize the Firefox (Minefield) window.
    Is there any way to keep this from happening? I then have to resize it
    to get it back to what I want, and it's a hassle. I'm using the latest
    trunk nightlies for Windows. Thanks.

    John Hardy

  2. Re: Web sites that resize the Firefox window

    John Hardy wrote:

    > Hello;
    >
    > I occasionally go to sites that resize the Firefox (Minefield) window.
    > Is there any way to keep this from happening? I then have to resize it
    > to get it back to what I want, and it's a hassle. I'm using the latest
    > trunk nightlies for Windows. Thanks.

    John

    I suspect that the resizing is caused by javascript scripts on those sites.
    You could alter the default javascript settings which Firefox has, which
    include allowing scripts to resize windows.

    See Options|Contents to see where these settings can be changed

    HTH
    Rob.

  3. Re: Web sites that resize the Firefox window

    On 11/02/2007 12:36, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Rob to
    generate the following:? :
    > John Hardy wrote:
    >

    >> Hello;
    >>
    >> I occasionally go to sites that resize the Firefox (Minefield) window.
    >> Is there any way to keep this from happening? I then have to resize it
    >> to get it back to what I want, and it's a hassle. I'm using the latest
    >> trunk nightlies for Windows. Thanks.
    >>

    > John
    >
    > I suspect that the resizing is caused by javascript scripts on those sites.
    > You could alter the default javascript settings which Firefox has, which
    > include allowing scripts to resize windows.
    >
    > See Options|Contents to see where these settings can be changed
    >
    > HTH
    > Rob.

    depending on your FF version...
    Allow JavaScript (location see below)

    Tools>>Options>>Content
    click the [Advanced...] button next to [ ] Enable JavaScript
    Tick the [ ] box "Move or resize existing windows"

    reg

  4. Re: Web sites that resize the Firefox window

    Rob wrote:
    > John Hardy wrote:
    >
    >> Hello;
    >>
    >> I occasionally go to sites that resize the Firefox (Minefield) window.
    >> Is there any way to keep this from happening? I then have to resize it
    >> to get it back to what I want, and it's a hassle. I'm using the latest
    >> trunk nightlies for Windows. Thanks.
    >>

    > John
    >
    > I suspect that the resizing is caused by javascript scripts on those sites.
    > You could alter the default javascript settings which Firefox has, which
    > include allowing scripts to resize windows.
    >
    > See Options|Contents to see where these settings can be changed
    >
    > HTH
    > Rob.

    If only I could remember one of the sites. I looked at the source code
    for one such site, and there was a command something like:

    "resizewindow maxwidth.maxheight"

    I'm sure that was not quite the command, but something like that. I
    don't know if that has anything to do with Java or not. I'll report
    further when it happens again. I thought Firefox had some way to limit
    the resizing of windows, but I could not find it. Thanks for pointing
    the way. I'll leave the setting as-is for now (move/resize is enabled),
    then try changing it when I find a site that changes the window size.
    Thank you.

    John Hardy

  5. Re: Web sites that resize the Firefox window

    Tbird Leader John Hardy radioed the tower, On 2/12/2007 12:31 AM:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> John Hardy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello;
    >>>
    >>> I occasionally go to sites that resize the Firefox (Minefield) window.
    >>> Is there any way to keep this from happening? I then have to resize it
    >>> to get it back to what I want, and it's a hassle. I'm using the latest
    >>> trunk nightlies for Windows. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> John
    >>
    >> I suspect that the resizing is caused by javascript scripts on those
    >> sites.
    >> You could alter the default javascript settings which Firefox has, which
    >> include allowing scripts to resize windows.
    >>
    >> See Options|Contents to see where these settings can be changed
    >>
    >> HTH Rob.
    >>

    > If only I could remember one of the sites. I looked at the source code
    > for one such site, and there was a command something like:
    >
    > "resizewindow maxwidth.maxheight"
    >
    > I'm sure that was not quite the command, but something like that. I
    > don't know if that has anything to do with Java or not. I'll report
    > further when it happens again. I thought Firefox had some way to limit
    > the resizing of windows, but I could not find it. Thanks for pointing
    > the way. I'll leave the setting as-is for now (move/resize is
    > enabled), then try changing it when I find a site that changes the
    > window size. Thank you.
    >
    > John Hardy

    John, that resize instruction is javascript. Javascript is a form of
    macro language that is independent and separate from the Sun JAVA
    programming language.
    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  6. Re: Web sites that resize the Firefox window

    John Hardy wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> John Hardy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello;
    >>>
    >>> I occasionally go to sites that resize the Firefox (Minefield) window.
    >>> Is there any way to keep this from happening? I then have to resize it
    >>> to get it back to what I want, and it's a hassle. I'm using the latest
    >>> trunk nightlies for Windows. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> John
    >>
    >> I suspect that the resizing is caused by javascript scripts on those
    >> sites.
    >> You could alter the default javascript settings which Firefox has, which
    >> include allowing scripts to resize windows.
    >>
    >> See Options|Contents to see where these settings can be changed
    >>
    >> HTH Rob.
    >>

    > If only I could remember one of the sites. I looked at the source code
    > for one such site, and there was a command something like:
    >
    > "resizewindow maxwidth.maxheight"
    >
    > I'm sure that was not quite the command, but something like that. I
    > don't know if that has anything to do with Java or not. I'll report
    > further when it happens again. I thought Firefox had some way to limit
    > the resizing of windows, but I could not find it. Thanks for pointing
    > the way. I'll leave the setting as-is for now (move/resize is enabled),
    > then try changing it when I find a site that changes the window size.
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John Hardy

    That is Javascript, not Java. They are quite different. The Options
    section called "Content" has the Javascript settings. Next to the
    checkbox labelled "Enable Javascript" is a button labelled "Advanced".
    Click on that to see the settings for limiting Javascript. The only
    thing I permit is "Change images".

  7. Re: Web sites that resize the Firefox window

    EE wrote:
    > John Hardy wrote:
    >> Rob wrote:

    >>> John
    >>>
    >>> I suspect that the resizing is caused by javascript scripts on those
    >>> sites.
    >>> You could alter the default javascript settings which Firefox has, which
    >>> include allowing scripts to resize windows.
    >>>
    >>> See Options|Contents to see where these settings can be changed
    >>>
    >>> HTH Rob.
    >>>

    >> If only I could remember one of the sites. I looked at the source code
    >> for one such site, and there was a command something like:
    >>
    >> "resizewindow maxwidth.maxheight"
    >>
    >> I'm sure that was not quite the command, but something like that. I
    >> don't know if that has anything to do with Java or not. I'll report
    >> further when it happens again. I thought Firefox had some way to limit
    >> the resizing of windows, but I could not find it. Thanks for pointing
    >> the way. I'll leave the setting as-is for now (move/resize is
    >> enabled), then try changing it when I find a site that changes the
    >> window size. Thank you.
    >>
    >> John Hardy

    > That is Javascript, not Java. They are quite different. The Options
    > section called "Content" has the Javascript settings. Next to the
    > checkbox labelled "Enable Javascript" is a button labelled "Advanced".
    > Click on that to see the settings for limiting Javascript. The only
    > thing I permit is "Change images".

    Thanks to you and Ron for explaining that it is Javascript. My "Advanced
    Javascript Settings" window provides the following options:

    Move or resize existing windows
    Raise or lower windows
    Disable or replace context menus
    Hide the status bar
    Change status bar text

    There is nothing about "Change images". I just disabled the "Move or
    resize existing windows" option, in fact all the options are now unchecked.

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a3pre)
    Gecko/20070208 Minefield/3.0a3pre

    Thanks.

    John

+ Reply to Thread