How can I recover my saved passwords? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How can I recover my saved passwords? - Mozilla ; I have mostly everything reinstalled on my new computer but can't seem to find a way to get my saved passwords for sites such as eBay over to firefox's saved "Password". I did copy my profile exactly from "C:\Documents and ...

  1. How can I recover my saved passwords?

    I have mostly everything reinstalled on my new computer but can't seem to
    find a way to get my saved passwords for sites such as eBay over to
    firefox's saved "Password". I did copy my profile exactly from
    "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\".. from there I recovered my Bookmarks, I
    tried copying and pasting all the info from the old notebook text file
    "signons" where I saw all the sites and encrypted password info, (yea I know
    I'm an idiot going this route) so there must be something else I must change
    or copy and paste to make them all reappear in my "Passwords" section in
    Firefox..

  2. Re: How can I recover my saved passwords?

    On 2007-01-31 13:58 (-0700 UTC), PaulT wrote:

    > I have mostly everything reinstalled on my new computer but can't seem to
    > find a way to get my saved passwords for sites such as eBay over to
    > firefox's saved "Password". I did copy my profile exactly from
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\".. from there I recovered my Bookmarks, I
    > tried copying and pasting all the info from the old notebook text file
    > "signons" where I saw all the sites and encrypted password info, (yea I know
    > I'm an idiot going this route) so there must be something else I must change
    > or copy and paste to make them all reappear in my "Passwords" section in
    > Firefox..

    IIRC, you need to copy key3.db over as well. . . .

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  3. Re: How can I recover my saved passwords?

    PaulT wrote:
    > I have mostly everything reinstalled on my new computer but can't
    > seem to find a way to get my saved passwords for sites such as eBay
    > over to firefox's saved "Password". I did copy my profile exactly
    > from "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\".. from there I recovered my
    > Bookmarks, I tried copying and pasting all the info from the old
    > notebook text file "signons" where I saw all the sites and encrypted
    > password info, (yea I know I'm an idiot going this route) so there
    > must be something else I must change or copy and paste to make them
    > all reappear in my "Passwords" section in Firefox..

    you have to copy 'key3.db' file along with 'signons.txt' file from old
    profile to new profile folder

  4. Re: How can I recover my saved passwords?

    Bingo!!! Thank you guys!!

    "Nir" wrote in message
    news:Fr2dndYUzJAdmlzYnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > PaulT wrote:
    >> I have mostly everything reinstalled on my new computer but can't seem to
    >> find a way to get my saved passwords for sites such as eBay over to
    >> firefox's saved "Password". I did copy my profile exactly from
    >> "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\".. from there I recovered my Bookmarks, I
    >> tried copying and pasting all the info from the old notebook text file
    >> "signons" where I saw all the sites and encrypted password info, (yea I
    >> know I'm an idiot going this route) so there must be something else I
    >> must change or copy and paste to make them all reappear in my "Passwords"
    >> section in Firefox..
    >>

    > you have to copy 'key3.db' file along with 'signons.txt' file from old
    > profile to new profile folder

  5. Re: How can I recover my saved passwords?

    "Nir" wrote in message news:Fr2dndYUzJAdmlzYnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > PaulT wrote:
    > > I have mostly everything reinstalled on my new computer but can't
    > > seem to find a way to get my saved passwords for sites such as eBay
    > > over to firefox's saved "Password". I did copy my profile exactly
    > > from "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
    > > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\".. from there I recovered my
    > > Bookmarks, I tried copying and pasting all the info from the old
    > > notebook text file "signons" where I saw all the sites and encrypted
    > > password info, (yea I know I'm an idiot going this route) so there
    > > must be something else I must change or copy and paste to make them
    > > all reappear in my "Passwords" section in Firefox..
    > >

    > you have to copy 'key3.db' file along with 'signons.txt' file from old
    > profile to new profile folder

    You may also need anything in the profile that has ".s" extension.

  6. Re: How can I recover my saved passwords?

    _David McRitchie_ spoke thusly on 31/01/2007 9:51 PM:
    > "Nir" wrote in message news:Fr2dndYUzJAdmlzYnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> you have to copy 'key3.db' file along with 'signons.txt' file from old
    >> profile to new profile folder

    > You may also need anything in the profile that has ".s" extension.

    The .s file will only exist if the profile has been migrated from
    Mozilla, SeaMonkey, or Netscape6/7.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  7. Re: How can I recover my saved passwords?

    Hi It is dead simple

    Go to .....Tools>Error console>....in the code bar copy and paste the below code and click Evaluate and youv done

    (function(){
    var Cc = Components.classes;
    var Ci = Components.interfaces;

    netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege ("UniversalXPConnect");
    var tokendb = Cc["@mozilla.org/security/pk11tokendb;1"]
    .createInstance(Ci.nsIPK11TokenDB);
    var token = tokendb.getInternalKeyToken();

    try { token.login(true);} catch (e) { }

    if (token.isLoggedIn()) {
    var passwordmanager = Cc["@mozilla.org/login-manager;1"]
    .getService(Ci.nsILoginManager);
    var signons = passwordmanager.getAllLogins({});

    for (i=0;i try {
    var host = signons[i].hostname;
    var realm = signons[i].httpRealm;
    var user = signons[i].username;
    var userf = signons[i].usernameField;
    var password = signons[i].password;
    var passwordf = signons[i].passwordField;
    var submiturl = signons[i].formSubmitURL;
    } catch(e) {}
    }

    var json =Cc["@mozilla.org/dom/json;1"]
    .createInstance(Ci.nsIJSON)
    .encode(signons);

    var fp=Cc["@mozilla.org/filepicker;1"]
    .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIFilePicke r);

    fp.init(window,"",Ci.nsIFilePicker.modeSave);
    fp.defaultString="signons.json";
    if (fp.show() == fp.returnCancel) return;

    var filoutputStream=Cc["@mozilla.org/network/file-output-stream;1"]
    .createInstance(Ci.nsIFileOutputStream);

    filoutputStream.init(fp.file,0x04|0x08,0644,0);
    filoutputStream.write(json,json.length);
    filoutputStream.close();
    }
    })()

  8. Re: How can I recover my saved passwords?

    It is very easy to see the saved passwords in Mozilla Firefox and no need to use any hacking tricks for it. When a newbie Internet user try to log on to any of his account (Orkut,yahoo mail, gmail etc) he may forget to uncheck the option remember my password. One more chance is there, when the remember password option is enabled on the Firefox settings and after log on the user will see a prompt.

+ Reply to Thread