Throbber - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Throbber - Mozilla ; Can't get throbber to work in FF 2.01. I have the throbber extension installed. Works on Thunderbird...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Throbber

    Can't get throbber to work in FF 2.01. I have the throbber extension
    installed. Works on Thunderbird

  2. Re: Throbber

    Robert Reedy wrote:
    > Can't get throbber to work in FF 2.01. I have the throbber extension
    > installed. Works on Thunderbird

    works fine here.
    what is the exact problem at your side?

  3. Re: Throbber

    "Nir" wrote...
    > Robert Reedy wrote:
    > > Can't get throbber to work in FF 2.01. I have the throbber extension
    > > installed. Works on Thunderbird

    > works fine here.
    > what is the exact problem at your side?

    This one works fine for me, don't know if it's the same,
    I think it is different, only see Firefox identified. Actually
    the taking away in Firefox forced an improvement.
    Throbber Button, by Racer
    up to four url's can be supplied to it.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  4. Re: Throbber

    _Robert Reedy_ spoke thusly on 30/01/2007 2:16 PM:
    > Can't get throbber to work in FF 2.01. I have the throbber extension
    > installed. Works on Thunderbird

    In Firefox, go to Tools-->Add-ons.
    Is the throbber extension listed under Extensions? Perhaps you installed
    in Thunderbird, by mistake. (The throbber extension is not needed in
    Thunderbird 1.5.0.9)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: Throbber

    "Robert Reedy" <4bye5@comcast.net> wrote
    > Nir wrote:
    > > Robert Reedy wrote:
    > >> Can't get throbber to work in FF 2.01. I have the throbber extension
    > >> installed. Works on Thunderbird

    > > works fine here.
    > > what is the exact problem at your side?

    > When I click it just blinks the stop button, but goes nowhere

    Did you assign all four possibilities to it
    via Tools, addons, click of Throbber Button Extension
    choose Options.
    Primary and Alternate for left click and Alt+left
    Primary and Alternate for right-click and Alt+right
    and with all three buttons set to default.

    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/

  6. Re: Throbber

    When observing _David McRitchie's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 31/01/2007
    7:24 AM perpend:

    > Actually the taking away in Firefox forced an improvement.

    Why did the throbber get taken away in the first place? Speculation is
    just as welcome as fact.

    > Throbber Button, by Racer up to four url's can be supplied to it.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/

    Pardon my ignorance, but, doesn't having to install addons to make the
    throbber work again make Firefox more bloated? FF's/TB's sleekness is
    one of the main motivators for changing from M$.

    Would it have been better to just leave the functionality in, rather
    than relying on an addon because people missed the functionality?

    Wouldn't it be better to have essentially the same basic functionality
    across the Mozilla product range? Naturally, I don't mean FF should read
    email nor TB to surf the net. I mean, the inconsistency in the chrome
    (hope this is the right term) TB and FF where the throbber works on one
    and not the other.

    This might "feel" a bit strange to those shunning M$ and starting to
    embrace the excellent alternative offerings from Mozilla.

    NB// This is NOT a criticism of either Mozilla or the addon. I am just
    curious about the communities opinion thats all.

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”

  7. Re: Throbber

    krONik wrote:
    > When observing _David McRitchie's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 31/01/2007
    > 7:24 AM perpend:
    >
    >> Actually the taking away in Firefox forced an improvement.

    > Why did the throbber get taken away in the first place? Speculation is
    > just as welcome as fact.
    >
    >> Throbber Button, by Racer up to four url's can be supplied to it.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/

    > Pardon my ignorance, but, doesn't having to install addons to make the
    > throbber work again make Firefox more bloated? FF's/TB's sleekness is
    > one of the main motivators for changing from M$.
    >
    > Would it have been better to just leave the functionality in, rather
    > than relying on an addon because people missed the functionality?
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better to have essentially the same basic functionality
    > across the Mozilla product range? Naturally, I don't mean FF should read
    > email nor TB to surf the net. I mean, the inconsistency in the chrome
    > (hope this is the right term) TB and FF where the throbber works on one
    > and not the other.
    >
    > This might "feel" a bit strange to those shunning M$ and starting to
    > embrace the excellent alternative offerings from Mozilla.
    >
    > NB// This is NOT a criticism of either Mozilla or the addon. I am just
    > curious about the communities opinion thats all.

    This is what happens when well meaning software developers, because they
    don't use or notice something because they don't use it or don't pay
    attention to it do ".... so let's see I don't use/need this feature and
    it uses 500 bytes of code; and since I don't see a need for it let's
    take it out".

    I used the throbber to indicate whether SM/FF/TB was actually doing
    something. I also liked the fact if I wanted to go to Mozilla, all I had
    to do was click the throbber.

    A similar thing happened with "Grippes" that little feature between
    vertical or horizontal windows that allow you to click on a region that
    had a textured look that someone called grippes. clicking this region
    would expand or collapse a window.

    Developers decided to save 500 bytes to 1kb of code yanking it out of
    Thunderbird altogether. and it been badly mangled but not completely
    taken out of SeaMonkey. Now we have to depend on an extension to put the
    functionality back that should not have been removed to begin with.
    Grippes with the extension works exactly as it used to down to the
    enlarged dimple in the middle thats now missing in SM.

    Software should be designed with the end users in mind. Not how a gaggle
    of 100 or less developers envision what they the developers want.

    I have yet to see a developer of software even Mozilla Contact me with a
    list of features I would love to see or retain. And if they were to
    start and I replied; the people on the other end would say "that
    fellow's crazy , he's full of Horsesxxt! So it would not make a dimes
    bit of difference anyway.

    Mozilla has an added advantage in that they don't sell products Open
    Source Community and don't have a Board of Directors to answer to. So
    they can develop with impunity.

    With Software from For profit out fits They with a b.o.d and have to
    develop to what they (the b.o.d) think will sell, so Customers have no
    say so there either. So we end up using software that we like That
    doesn't necessarily have all the features we desire, nor works exactly
    like we want. We have to settle.

  8. Re: Throbber

    When observing _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    3/02/2007 12:06 PM perpend:

    > /*snip stuff*/
    >
    > I used the throbber to indicate whether SM/FF/TB was actually doing
    > something. I also liked the fact if I wanted to go to Mozilla, all I had
    > to do was click the throbber.

    Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    In my humble opinion, I think throbber should be reinstated again,
    rather than relying on an add-on.

    > A similar thing happened with "Grippes" that little feature between
    > vertical or horizontal windows that allow you to click on a region that
    > had a textured look that someone called grippes. clicking this region
    > would expand or collapse a window.

    Ok. I have to admit I have never noticed that!

    > /*snip more stuff*/
    >
    > Software should be designed with the end users in mind. Not how a gaggle
    > of 100 or less developers envision what they the developers want.

    Agreed. But the problem is, we all use the same software differently. I
    am sure you would agree that its highly unlikely that your browser and
    mine are setup the same, thanks to the plethora and diversity of
    settings of add-ons once installed.

    It is hard to satisfy everyone's needs I guess.

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  9. Re: Throbber

    On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    > Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    > along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    > wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed. Only
    the link was.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  10. Re: Throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    >> Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    >> along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    >> wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    > Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed. Only
    > the link was.

    Chris You need to actually use FireFox. I just opened my copy on my
    Desktop Machine 2.0.0.1.

    There is no Throbber. To me and the other fellow posting is The "icon of
    FireFox" up in the top left corner that has some movement. Like the one
    in SeaMonkey at present. is the Throbber.

    There is a little item I call a winder looks like a partial clock dial.
    It very pale gray and almost blends into the Background even when it moves.

  11. Re: Throbber

    On 2007-02-03 13:37 (-0700 UTC), Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    >>> Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    >>> along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    >>> wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    >> Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed.
    >> Only the link was.

    > Chris You need to actually use FireFox. I just opened my copy on my
    > Desktop Machine 2.0.0.1.
    >
    > There is no Throbber. To me and the other fellow posting is The "icon of
    > FireFox" up in the top left corner that has some movement. Like the one
    > in SeaMonkey at present. is the Throbber.
    >
    > There is a little item I call a winder looks like a partial clock dial.
    > It very pale gray and almost blends into the Background even when it moves.

    Umm . . . that /is/ the throbber. :-P

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  12. Re: Throbber

    On 03.02.2007 14:22, Chris Ilias wrote:

    > On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    >> Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    >> along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    >> wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    > Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed. Only
    > the link was.

    I thought you said that it's an "activity monitor", not a "throbber" ...
    o well.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  13. Re: Throbber

    When observing _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    4/02/2007 7:37 AM perpend:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    >>> Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    >>> along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    >>> wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    >> Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed.
    >> Only the link was.

    Yes, you're right Chris. My apologies for any confusion. It still
    indicated that data was transferring, but, it did not give me the addons
    page like it used to.

    > Chris You need to actually use FireFox. I just opened my copy on my
    > Desktop Machine 2.0.0.1.
    >
    > There is no Throbber. To me and the other fellow posting is The "icon of
    > FireFox" up in the top left corner that has some movement. Like the one
    > in SeaMonkey at present. is the Throbber.
    >
    > There is a little item I call a winder looks like a partial clock dial.
    > It very pale gray and almost blends into the Background even when it moves.

    I've always had the throbber but it had just lost its functionality of

    I have just installed TB2.0b2 and its throbber too has now lost its
    functionality. I will probably just install that addon to TB2.0b2 as well.

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  14. Re: Throbber

    When observing _krONik's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 4/02/2007 2:37 PM
    perpend:

    > I have just installed TB2.0b2 and its throbber too has now lost its
    > functionality. I will probably just install that addon to TB2.0b2 as well.

    There goes that great idea. Throbber Button is not compatible with TB!

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  15. Re: Throbber

    On 03/02/2007 3:37 PM, _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T_ spoke thusly:
    > Chris You need to actually use FireFox. I just opened my copy on my
    > Desktop Machine 2.0.0.1.
    >
    > There is no Throbber. To me and the other fellow posting is The "icon of
    > FireFox" up in the top left corner that has some movement. Like the one
    > in SeaMonkey at present. is the Throbber.
    >
    > There is a little item I call a winder looks like a partial clock dial.
    > It very pale gray and almost blends into the Background even when it moves.

    That winder /is/ the throbber. If you don't know what the throbber is,
    what were you complaining about, when you heard the throbber link was
    removed?

    Anywise, read . "A throbber is a
    graphic usually found in the top-right corner of the graphical user
    interface of a computer program (especially a web browser) that animates
    to show the user that the program is performing an action (such as
    downloading a web page)."
    Then read the section called "Spinning wheel."

    And yes, I do actually use Firefox. :-)

    I also thinking making the throbber stick out more when active, is a
    good idea.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  16. Re: Throbber

    On 03/02/2007 10:27 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
    > I thought you said that it's an "activity monitor", not a "throbber" ...

    The term I used was "activity indicator." Yes, "it" is an activity
    monitor. I never said "it" is not a throbber. "It" is /the/ throbber.
    Thus the throbber is an activity monitor.

    "In Firefox, the throbber is not a Firefox logo; it's just an
    activity indicator."
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  17. Re: Throbber

    On 04.02.2007 02:26, Chris Ilias wrote:

    > On 03/02/2007 10:27 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
    >> I thought you said that it's an "activity monitor", not a "throbber" ...

    > The term I used was "activity indicator." Yes, "it" is an activity
    > monitor. I never said "it" is not a throbber. "It" is /the/ throbber.
    > Thus the throbber is an activity monitor.
    >
    > "In Firefox, the throbber is not a Firefox logo; it's just an
    > activity indicator."

    Ok, understood, but I didn't say that you said it wasn't a throbber.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  18. Re: Throbber

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-02-03 13:37 (-0700 UTC), Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    >>>
    >>> Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed.
    >>> Only the link was.

    >> Chris You need to actually use FireFox. I just opened my copy on my
    >> Desktop Machine 2.0.0.1.
    >>
    >> There is no Throbber. To me and the other fellow posting is The "icon
    >> of FireFox" up in the top left corner that has some movement. Like the
    >> one in SeaMonkey at present. is the Throbber.
    >>
    >> There is a little item I call a winder looks like a partial clock
    >> dial. It very pale gray and almost blends into the Background even
    >> when it moves.

    > Umm . . . that /is/ the throbber. :-P
    >
    > /b.

    That's not what I call a throbber.

    What I call a Throbber, is the icon on the application (much like the
    icon shown in the about FF/SM/TB; that has some type of movement when
    application is doing something. Example on SM the icon appears to be
    blowing water bubbles when doing something.

  19. Re: Throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    >> Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    >> along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    >> wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    > Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed. Only
    > the link was.

    I believe that you can re-establish the link with the "MR Tech Local
    Install" extension: Miscellaneous> Throbber. You can change the link to
    site you want. In any case that is how mine works: Firefox 2.0.0.1 with
    MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.3.

  20. Re: Throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 03/02/2007 10:27 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
    >> I thought you said that it's an "activity monitor", not a "throbber" ...

    > The term I used was "activity indicator." Yes, "it" is an activity
    > monitor. I never said "it" is not a throbber. "It" is /the/ throbber.
    > Thus the throbber is an activity monitor.
    >

    > "In Firefox, the throbber is not a Firefox logo; it's just an
    > activity indicator."

    Whatever you call it, it is theme related in most cases.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast