Throbber - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Throbber - Mozilla ; Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote: > Brian Heinrich wrote: >> On 2007-02-03 13:37 (-0700 UTC), Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote: >> >>> Chris Ilias wrote: >>>> On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly: >>>>> Me too! Throbber was a visual ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Throbber

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> Chris You need to actually use FireFox. I just opened my copy on my
    >>> Desktop Machine 2.0.0.1.
    >>>
    >>> There is no Throbber. To me and the other fellow posting is The "icon
    >>> of FireFox" up in the top left corner that has some movement. Like
    >>> the one in SeaMonkey at present. is the Throbber.
    >>>
    >>> There is a little item I call a winder looks like a partial clock
    >>> dial. It very pale gray and almost blends into the Background even
    >>> when it moves.

    >> Umm . . . that /is/ the throbber. :-P
    >>
    >> /b.
    >>

    > That's not what I call a throbber.
    >
    > What I call a Throbber, is the icon on the application (much like the
    > icon shown in the about FF/SM/TB; that has some type of movement when
    > application is doing something. Example on SM the icon appears to be
    > blowing water bubbles when doing something.

    Well, that Sm icon with bubbles and Fx's winding set of 8 dots are the same
    widget -- except for the difference in themes. The difference is purely
    cosmetic. It's conceivable that one of the many themes available for Firefox
    has a revolving Firefox icon as a throbber, and even if there is no such theme
    (yet), I'm convinced that one could be designed (whether it could be
    _marketed_ may depend on the Mozilla Foundation & Corporation's standing on
    trademark use); the Firefox theme I use has, at the right end of the menubar,
    a small "Mozilla m" icon which changes appearance when busy loading a page. So
    regardless of how you call it, that's (by functionality) the throbber.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  2. Re: Throbber

    Al Bert wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> On 02/02/2007 9:57 PM, _krONik_ spoke thusly:
    >>> Me too! Throbber was a visual indicator that things were moving right
    >>> along. And when you are on flaky dialup like mine, half the time I'm
    >>> wondering whether anything is happening at all!

    >> Just so there's no confusion here, the throbber was *not* removed.
    >> Only the link was.

    > I believe that you can re-establish the link with the "MR Tech Local
    > Install" extension: Miscellaneous> Throbber. You can change the link to
    > site you want. In any case that is how mine works: Firefox 2.0.0.1 with
    > MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.3.

    Yes; and that extension (which has a lot more functionality than just
    reestablishing the throbber link) is compatible with (among others) both Fx2
    and Tb2. I have it installed, and when I click that 8-dot widget in Tb2's
    default theme, Firefox opens http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/. When I
    click Firefox's throbber it leads me to whatever page I have selected for it
    in Firefox: I just changed it to my home page
    http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  3. Re: Throbber

    On 04.02.2007 09:39, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    > What I call a Throbber, is the icon on the application (much like the
    > icon shown in the about FF/SM/TB; that has some type of movement when
    > application is doing something. Example on SM the icon appears to be
    > blowing water bubbles when doing something.

    Mine moves but just doesn't have a link any longer but it's still a
    throbber by definition.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  4. Re: Throbber

    When observing _Tony Mechelynck's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 5/02/2007
    10:05 AM perpend:

    > It's conceivable that one of the many themes available
    > for Firefox has a revolving Firefox icon as a throbber, and even if
    > there is no such theme (yet), I'm convinced that one could be designed
    > (whether it could be _marketed_ may depend on the Mozilla Foundation &
    > Corporation's standing on trademark use);

    Like Spinfox?
    http://burntelectrons.org/moz/spinfox/

    > So regardless of how you call it,
    > that's (by functionality) the throbber.

    Agreed.

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”

  5. Re: Throbber

    krONik wrote:
    > When observing _Tony Mechelynck's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 5/02/2007
    > 10:05 AM perpend:
    >
    >> It's conceivable that one of the many themes available for Firefox has
    >> a revolving Firefox icon as a throbber, and even if there is no such
    >> theme (yet), I'm convinced that one could be designed (whether it
    >> could be _marketed_ may depend on the Mozilla Foundation &
    >> Corporation's standing on trademark use);

    > Like Spinfox?
    > http://burntelectrons.org/moz/spinfox/

    Looks like it, except this is an "extension" and I was expecting a "theme".

    >> So regardless of how you call it, that's (by functionality) the throbber.

    > Agreed.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    11. You find yourself typing "com" after every period when using a word
    processor.com

  6. OT Re: Throbber

    On 05/02/2007 05:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 04.02.2007 09:39, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    hit your thumb with a hammer - that's *my* definition of a throbber...
    :-( :-( :-(

    reg

  7. Re: Throbber

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > krONik wrote:
    >> When observing _Tony Mechelynck's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    >> 5/02/2007 10:05 AM perpend:
    >>
    >>> It's conceivable that one of the many themes available for Firefox
    >>> has a revolving Firefox icon as a throbber, and even if there is no
    >>> such theme (yet), I'm convinced that one could be designed (whether
    >>> it could be _marketed_ may depend on the Mozilla Foundation &
    >>> Corporation's standing on trademark use);

    >> Like Spinfox?
    >> http://burntelectrons.org/moz/spinfox/

    > Looks like it, except this is an "extension" and I was expecting a "theme".
    >

    >>> So regardless of how you call it, that's (by functionality) the
    >>> throbber.

    >> Agreed.
    >>

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Now That's what I call a throbber. Not that little windy thingey that's
    so pale its difficult to see.

    Anyway I tried to install it and firefox blocked it.

  8. Re: Throbber

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    [...]
    > Now That's what I call a throbber. Not that little windy thingey that's
    > so pale its difficult to see.
    >
    > Anyway I tried to install it and firefox blocked it.

    Here too, but with a dark banner just below the tab bar and an "Options"
    button on it. Clicking on it allowed me to add the site to the whitelist of
    "sites allowed to install software". Then re-clicking the link to the XPI
    (followed by a restart of Fx) did the trick. (Firefox blocks all sites except
    addons.mozilla.org the first time it encounters them, and until manually
    unlocked.)

    Now when Fx is loading a page I have a slowly rotating Fox where that "windy
    thingey" used to be -- and no bigger. I'm keeping it -- for the time being.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    An American's a person who isn't afraid to criticize the President but
    is always polite to traffic cops.

  9. Re: Throbber

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > [...]
    >> Now That's what I call a throbber. Not that little windy thingey
    >> that's so pale its difficult to see.
    >>
    >> Anyway I tried to install it and firefox blocked it.
    >>

    > Here too, but with a dark banner just below the tab bar and an "Options"
    > button on it. Clicking on it allowed me to add the site to the whitelist
    > of "sites allowed to install software". Then re-clicking the link to the
    > XPI (followed by a restart of Fx) did the trick. (Firefox blocks all
    > sites except addons.mozilla.org the first time it encounters them, and
    > until manually unlocked.)
    >
    > Now when Fx is loading a page I have a slowly rotating Fox where that
    > "windy thingey" used to be -- and no bigger. I'm keeping it -- for the
    > time being.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Yep that's a lot better.

  10. Re: Throbber

    When observing _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    6/02/2007 4:43 AM perpend:

    > Now That's what I call a throbber. Not that little windy thingey that's
    > so pale its difficult to see.

    Yes. Now we just need one for Tb! Fx is fantastic ... you can get almost
    any functionality as someone talented will have nearly always made an
    extension for it.

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  11. Re: Throbber

    When observing _Tony Mechelynck's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 6/02/2007
    3:40 PM perpend:

    > Now when Fx is loading a page I have a slowly rotating Fox where that
    > "windy thingey" used to be -- and no bigger. I'm keeping it -- for the
    > time being.

    It doesn't take any extra space and yes it is a bit more eye-candy than
    the original. Hopefully they can make one for Tb as well.

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  12. Re: Throbber

    krONik wrote:
    > When observing _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    > 6/02/2007 4:43 AM perpend:
    >
    >> Now That's what I call a throbber. Not that little windy thingey
    >> that's so pale its difficult to see.

    > Yes. Now we just need one for Tb! Fx is fantastic ... you can get almost
    > any functionality as someone talented will have nearly always made an
    > extension for it.

    I propose they use the Thunderbird as show in the about Thunderbird.
    Then for action showing whether its working the beak of the bird working
    up and down or beak open and tongue and throat working as if its singing.

  13. Re: Throbber

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > krONik wrote:
    >> When observing _Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    >> 6/02/2007 4:43 AM perpend:
    >>
    >>> Now That's what I call a throbber. Not that little windy thingey
    >>> that's so pale its difficult to see.

    >> Yes. Now we just need one for Tb! Fx is fantastic ... you can get
    >> almost any functionality as someone talented will have nearly always
    >> made an extension for it.
    >>

    > I propose they use the Thunderbird as show in the about Thunderbird.
    > Then for action showing whether its working the beak of the bird working
    > up and down or beak open and tongue and throat working as if its singing.

    The one in Help => About Thunderbird is cropped at top and right. Now if you
    could use the one in the Thunderbird desktop icon...

    On my (Linux) system there is a 16px wide Thunderbird icon:
    /usr/local/thunderbird/icons/mozicon16.xpm (and also a 48px one) -- I don't
    know if Windows installations include a similar one other than as part of the
    executable.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    It's not enough to be Hungarian; you must have talent too.
    -- Alexander Korda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2