<filename> could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder - Mozilla

This is a discussion on <filename> could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder - Mozilla ; I've got a really weird permissions problem here in Firefox 2.0.0.1 on a Mac. I installed Firefox as administrator, then created a "regular" account for normal, non-admin users. Firefox makes its own profile for them, sets its own preferences, etc. ...

  1. <filename> could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder

    I've got a really weird permissions problem here in Firefox 2.0.0.1 on
    a Mac.

    I installed Firefox as administrator, then created a "regular" account
    for normal, non-admin users. Firefox makes its own profile for them,
    sets its own preferences, etc. When I try to download a file it tells
    me that

    "/Users/admin/Desktop/d93njj6a.doc could not be saved, because you
    cannot change the contents of that folder. Change the folder
    properties and try again, or save the file in a different location."

    Sounds like a standard permissions error, right? Except that it's
    trying to save to the ADMIN account instead of the regular account.

    So far I have tried the following, while logged in as user "regular" :

    - Reset the Download location in the Firefox "Preferences..." page and
    relaunched the browser. Didn't work.
    - Trashed ~/Library/Caches/Firefox
    - Trashed ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/*
    - Trashed ~/Library/Preferences/com.mozilla.firefox.plist
    - Opened about :config and manually cleared the values for the
    following keys:
    * browser.download.dir
    * browser.download.downloadDir

    None of these has worked at all. What could I be missing? Where is it
    looking for that download location? No matter how many times I try to
    reset this, it still reverts back to the admin folder--even if I set it
    elsewhere in the Preferences.

    What am I missing?

  2. Re: <filename> could not be saved, because you cannot change thecontents of that folder

    The Iron Giant wrote:
    > I've got a really weird permissions problem here in Firefox 2.0.0.1
    > on a Mac.
    >
    > I installed Firefox as administrator, then created a "regular"
    > account for normal, non-admin users. Firefox makes its own profile
    > for them, sets its own preferences, etc. When I try to download a
    > file it tells me that
    >
    > "/Users/admin/Desktop/d93njj6a.doc could not be saved, because you
    > cannot change the contents of that folder. Change the folder
    > properties and try again, or save the file in a different location."
    >
    > Sounds like a standard permissions error, right? Except that it's
    > trying to save to the ADMIN account instead of the regular account.
    >
    > So far I have tried the following, while logged in as user "regular"
    > :
    >
    > - Reset the Download location in the Firefox "Preferences..." page
    > and relaunched the browser. Didn't work. - Trashed
    > ~/Library/Caches/Firefox - Trashed ~/Library/Application
    > Support/Firefox/* - Trashed
    > ~/Library/Preferences/com.mozilla.firefox.plist - Opened about
    > :config and manually cleared the values for the following keys: *
    > browser.download.dir * browser.download.downloadDir
    >
    > None of these has worked at all. What could I be missing? Where is
    > it looking for that download location? No matter how many times I
    > try to reset this, it still reverts back to the admin folder--even if
    > I set it elsewhere in the Preferences.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    most probably you are using Admin profile of FF that's why prefs.js file
    doesn't get modified .
    create a test profile : "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Mac_OS_X"
    same problem?

+ Reply to Thread