Session management - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Session management - Mozilla ; I'm using FF's native session manager. Everything's fine, except when I close FF, forgetting that I have a second FF window open (almost always it's an instance of a media file playing). That wipes out the memory of the last ...

  1. Session management

    I'm using FF's native session manager. Everything's fine, except
    when I close FF, forgetting that I have a second FF window open
    (almost always it's an instance of a media file playing). That
    wipes out the memory of the last session, and I end up looking at
    a lone blank tab.

    Evidently the remaining lone window takes over last session
    rights, and memory of the closed main session is overwritten.

    Is there any way to call up what would be the penultimate
    session?

    Thanks,
    p.
    --
    Using FF 2.0.0.1 on Win XP sp2

  2. Re: Session management

    Paul_B wrote:
    > I'm using FF's native session manager. Everything's fine, except
    > when I close FF, forgetting that I have a second FF window open
    > (almost always it's an instance of a media file playing). That
    > wipes out the memory of the last session, and I end up looking at
    > a lone blank tab.
    >
    > Evidently the remaining lone window takes over last session
    > rights, and memory of the closed main session is overwritten.
    >
    > Is there any way to call up what would be the penultimate
    > session?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    With the native session manager, I don't think so. But the "Tab Mix Plus"
    extension includes (if you enable it) a much more sophisticated session
    manager, which remembers the contents of _all_ windows (if you close them at
    once using File => Quit of course, not if you close them one by one). It
    remembers not only the last session but also the one before that (useful if
    you crashed during startup and the crashed session is incomplete), and it
    allows saving particular sessions in addition to the latest two.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  3. Re: Session management

    I'm still using SessionSaver because it gets it right after most
    crashes, plus it keeps the forward and backward history of each tab. Ya
    gotta love it!

  4. Re: Session management

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 05:58:07 +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >> I'm using FF's native session manager. Everything's fine, except
    >> when I close FF, forgetting that I have a second FF window open
    >> (almost always it's an instance of a media file playing). That
    >> wipes out the memory of the last session, and I end up looking at
    >> a lone blank tab.
    >>
    >> Evidently the remaining lone window takes over last session
    >> rights, and memory of the closed main session is overwritten.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to call up what would be the penultimate
    >> session?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> p.

    > With the native session manager, I don't think so. But the "Tab Mix Plus"
    > extension includes (if you enable it) a much more sophisticated session
    > manager, which remembers the contents of _all_ windows (if you close them at
    > once using File => Quit of course, not if you close them one by one). It
    > remembers not only the last session but also the one before that (useful if
    > you crashed during startup and the crashed session is incomplete), and it
    > allows saving particular sessions in addition to the latest two.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    I think the logic of the native session manager needs to be
    tweaked, so that every window that closes imprints to session
    history. So if I close my main window while a single-tab window
    is open, that main window gains session rights. Then if I go on
    to close the smaller window, that window would gain rights, and
    that would confirm my previous closure.

    As for TMP, I read that they are going to the native session
    manager anyway; that's why I made the choice to revert to native
    session handling, since I thought the other was a lame duck.

    Thanks,
    p.
    --
    Using FF 2.0.0.1 on Win XP sp2

  5. Re: Session management

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:48:37 -0500, MalcolmO wrote:

    > I'm still using SessionSaver because it gets it right after most
    > crashes, plus it keeps the forward and backward history of each tab. Ya
    > gotta love it!

    TMP does this as well, and I believe the native facility does
    too. This is not a question of a crash, however, it is (a common)
    user error. I could dig through one of the files to find the
    components of the penultimate session, but it's too much trouble.

    p.
    --
    Using FF 2.0.0.1 on Win XP sp2

  6. Re: Session management

    Paul_B wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 05:58:07 +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >
    >> Paul_B wrote:
    >>> I'm using FF's native session manager. Everything's fine, except
    >>> when I close FF, forgetting that I have a second FF window open
    >>> (almost always it's an instance of a media file playing). That
    >>> wipes out the memory of the last session, and I end up looking at
    >>> a lone blank tab.
    >>>
    >>> Evidently the remaining lone window takes over last session
    >>> rights, and memory of the closed main session is overwritten.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to call up what would be the penultimate
    >>> session?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> p.

    >> With the native session manager, I don't think so. But the "Tab Mix Plus"
    >> extension includes (if you enable it) a much more sophisticated session
    >> manager, which remembers the contents of _all_ windows (if you close them at
    >> once using File => Quit of course, not if you close them one by one). It
    >> remembers not only the last session but also the one before that (useful if
    >> you crashed during startup and the crashed session is incomplete), and it
    >> allows saving particular sessions in addition to the latest two.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > I think the logic of the native session manager needs to be
    > tweaked, so that every window that closes imprints to session
    > history. So if I close my main window while a single-tab window
    > is open, that main window gains session rights. Then if I go on
    > to close the smaller window, that window would gain rights, and
    > that would confirm my previous closure.
    >
    > As for TMP, I read that they are going to the native session
    > manager anyway; that's why I made the choice to revert to native
    > session handling, since I thought the other was a lame duck.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    With TMP, you have the choice of using the native Fx2 session manager (if
    using Fx2 or higher of course), or the (more sophisticated) TMP session
    manager (or neither). IMHO, it's the Fx2 session manager which is "not good
    enough" but that's just my opinion.

    I don't see why the session manager feature should be taken out of TMP until
    or unless _all_ its capabilities are taken over by the Mozilla code, and ATM
    they aren't AFAIK.

    When you want to close Firefox, try to get into the habit of using File =>
    Quit (or File => Exit depending on platform) rather than closing one window at
    a time. (If you close all browser windows and the addons window or the
    download-manager window remains open, the only thing you can do is close them
    anyway: otherwise Fx is "still running" but you can't do anything useful with
    it.) -- Or you may want to use Alt-Tab to check that there are no "hidden
    windows" (popunders etc.) that you'd want to close first.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

+ Reply to Thread