How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens in samewindow. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens in samewindow. - Mozilla ; I'm old fashion and stubborn. ;-) I don't like tabs. but every new link in a web page spawns a new window. How do I set in about config so that each new link opens in the same window. I ...

  1. How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens in samewindow.

    I'm old fashion and stubborn. ;-)

    I don't like tabs.

    but every new link in a web page spawns a new window.

    How do I set in about config so that each new link opens in the same window.

    I like to look at things like 35 mm Slide show; you click a link and
    wham there it is in the window. Click again and it, and the new info
    replaces what was in that window.

    I wouldn't mind opening in new window except it jumps down and to the
    left for each new window. I have to reposition each new window.
    Phillip M. Jones, CET mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! http://www.vpea.org

  2. Re: How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens insame window.

    On 21/01/2007 20:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip Jones,
    CET to generate the following:? :
    > I'm old fashion and stubborn. ;-)
    >
    > I don't like tabs.
    >
    > but every new link in a web page spawns a new window.
    >
    > How do I set in about config so that each new link opens in the same window.
    >
    > I like to look at things like 35 mm Slide show; you click a link and
    > wham there it is in the window. Click again and it, and the new info
    > replaces what was in that window.
    >
    > I wouldn't mind opening in new window except it jumps down and to the
    > left for each new window. I have to reposition each new window.

    what version are you using?? in my 1.5.04 (ain't broke, won't mend):
    Tools>>Options>>Tabs
    try fiddling with the settings there - I would think,
    "Force links that open new windows to open in..."
    and set the radiobutton to "the same tab/window as the link"

    Reckon though, it's "Trial and Error" unless someone actually "knows"
    the answer!

    reg

  3. Re: How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens insame window.

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 21/01/2007 20:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip Jones,
    > CET to generate the following:? :
    >> I'm old fashion and stubborn. ;-)
    >>
    >> I don't like tabs.
    >>
    >> but every new link in a web page spawns a new window.
    >>
    >> How do I set in about config so that each new link opens in the same
    >> window.
    >>
    >> I like to look at things like 35 mm Slide show; you click a link and
    >> wham there it is in the window. Click again and it, and the new info
    >> replaces what was in that window.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't mind opening in new window except it jumps down and to the
    >> left for each new window. I have to reposition each new window.
    >>

    > what version are you using?? in my 1.5.04 (ain't broke, won't mend):
    > Tools>>Options>>Tabs
    > try fiddling with the settings there - I would think,
    > "Force links that open new windows to open in..."
    > and set the radiobutton to "the same tab/window as the link"
    >
    > Reckon though, it's "Trial and Error" unless someone actually "knows"
    > the answer!
    >
    > reg

    no such choice :-(
    choices given

    open in new tab
    open in new window
    FF2.0.0.1

    Phillip M. Jones, CET mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! http://www.vpea.org

  4. Re: How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens insame window.

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:32:39 -0500, Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 21/01/2007 20:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip Jones,
    >> CET to generate the following:? :
    >>> I'm old fashion and stubborn. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> I don't like tabs.
    >>>
    >>> but every new link in a web page spawns a new window.
    >>>
    >>> How do I set in about config so that each new link opens in the same
    >>> window.
    >>>
    >>> I like to look at things like 35 mm Slide show; you click a link and
    >>> wham there it is in the window. Click again and it, and the new info
    >>> replaces what was in that window.
    >>>
    >>> I wouldn't mind opening in new window except it jumps down and to the
    >>> left for each new window. I have to reposition each new window.
    >>>

    >> what version are you using?? in my 1.5.04 (ain't broke, won't mend):
    >> Tools>>Options>>Tabs
    >> try fiddling with the settings there - I would think,
    >> "Force links that open new windows to open in..."
    >> and set the radiobutton to "the same tab/window as the link"
    >>
    >> Reckon though, it's "Trial and Error" unless someone actually "knows"
    >> the answer!
    >>
    >> reg

    > no such choice :-(
    > choices given
    >
    > open in new tab
    > open in new window
    > FF2.0.0.1

    I had to reinstall 1.5.0 something or another and set the prefs for the
    tabs, then reinstall 2.0.0.1. They have removed some of the tab prefs in
    the newer versions.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    Ask your boss to reconsider --

    It's so difficult to take "Go to hell" for an answer.

  5. Re: How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens insame window.

    Phillip Jones, CET wrote:
    > I'm old fashion and stubborn. ;-)
    >
    > I don't like tabs.
    >
    > but every new link in a web page spawns a new window.
    >
    > How do I set in about config so that each new link opens in the same
    > window.
    >
    > I like to look at things like 35 mm Slide show; you click a link and
    > wham there it is in the window. Click again and it, and the new info
    > replaces what was in that window.
    >
    > I wouldn't mind opening in new window except it jumps down and to the
    > left for each new window. I have to reposition each new window.

    you can use TMP in this way :
    Tools>Options>Tabs.
    uncheck 'always show the tab bar'
    'New pages should be opened in:' - 'Current Tab'
    click on 'Tab Mix Plus Options' , select 'Links' Tab

    Open links that open in a new window in:' - 'current tab'
    Open links from other applications in :' - current tab ( you may use
    'new window' if you want )
    ( Optional )check 'Enable single window mode'
    'Force to open in new tab' - 'nothing'

  6. Re: How do you set windows so when you go to a new link opens in same window.

    "Nir" wrote in message news:0o-dnf0-N7JgFinYnZ2dnUVZ_vfinZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > Phillip Jones, CET wrote:
    > > I'm old fashion and stubborn. ;-)
    > >
    > > I don't like tabs.
    > >
    > > but every new link in a web page spawns a new window.
    > >
    > > How do I set in about config so that each new link opens in the same
    > > window.
    > >
    > > I like to look at things like 35 mm Slide show; you click a link and
    > > wham there it is in the window. Click again and it, and the new info
    > > replaces what was in that window.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't mind opening in new window except it jumps down and to the
    > > left for each new window. I have to reposition each new window.

    > you can use TMP in this way :
    > Tools>Options>Tabs.
    > uncheck 'always show the tab bar'
    > 'New pages should be opened in:' - 'Current Tab'
    > click on 'Tab Mix Plus Options' , select 'Links' Tab
    >
    > Open links that open in a new window in:' - 'current tab'
    > Open links from other applications in :' - current tab ( you may use
    > 'new window' if you want )
    > ( Optional )check 'Enable single window mode'
    > 'Force to open in new tab' - 'nothing'

    I have created a column ("One Window
    and No Tabs") in the table at the bottom of
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...g.htm#settings
    to help you with what Nir suggested and to help you
    locate what you might also need. The page is really
    an extension of testing use of target on my tabs.htm page
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm#target
    which should help you test your settings.

    I don't know if it is entirely possible or not, there is no
    keyboard shortcut to force a link to the current page if
    it is targeted for a new page, so hopefully you will be
    able to it with configuration entries.

    One thing is pretty clear to me. Noone else is going to
    want to use that profile. The use of tabs would really
    give you what you want to accomplish. Pages in the
    order that you add them and you would have direct
    access to any of them and you would be able to delete
    the page from view after you've read it so it doesn't get
    in the way. without tabs for people who have new systems in the near
    future.

    BTW,
    Every link should not be starting a new window, sounds like
    you had your settings incorrect to begin with.

    The maximum number of pages you can go forward or
    backward with the Forware/Backward button is 50, so
    you might need to increase that.
    browser.sessionhistory.max_entries (default is 50)

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

+ Reply to Thread