FF Memory Solution (PTF?) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF Memory Solution (PTF?) - Mozilla ; ("PTF" is an old IBM mainframe term, meaning "Permanet Temporary Fix". IBM used to issue those back in my mainframe days. They were meant to be a temporary fix... but sorta became permanent. The system programmers used to laugh about ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    ("PTF" is an old IBM mainframe term, meaning "Permanet Temporary Fix".
    IBM used to issue those back in my mainframe days. They were meant to
    be a temporary fix... but sorta became permanent. The system
    programmers used to laugh about them.)

    I recently switched to FF from Opera. Opera had too many problems with
    handling web pages properly. I'd say 30% of the day-to-day websites I
    go to (Yahoo, Hotmail, eBay, etc.) had minor to severe problems in
    Opera.

    I switched to FF because I like tabbed browsing. IE / Microsoft
    appears to have no serious commitment to tabbed browsing, so when I got
    fed up with Opera, I went to FF.

    Anyway, I soon noticed FF's voracious appetite for memory in my 256mb
    PIII Dell Optiplex GX110.

    How? It's right there in the tray icon for RamDef Xtreme. A realtime
    digital available-ram display. As I write this FF is the only thing
    running and RamDef shows 117mb ram available (out of 189mb available
    ram before starting FF).

    My "PTF" for FF's ram appetite is to set RamDef for an automatic ram
    defrag when available ram drops to 40mb.

    When available ram drops to 40mb RamDef jumps in and moves most of that
    idle FF ram cache out to the swap file. My avail ram jumps back up to
    130mb or so.

    This is a work-around, not a fix. I still have to close FF once each
    day to get rid of all that cache.

    I initially installed RamDef to deal with W2K's ungodly 140mb ram
    usage, which left only 110mb ram for apps. RamDef moves much of W2K
    out to the swap file, yielding up to 190mb for apps.

    BTW, I have a 500mb fixed swap file on D. Good idea when running
    RamDef.

  2. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 21/01/2007 13:57, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused packrat to
    generate the following:? :
    > ("PTF" is an old IBM mainframe term, meaning "Permanet Temporary Fix".
    > IBM used to issue those back in my mainframe days. They were meant to
    > be a temporary fix... but sorta became permanent. The system
    > programmers used to laugh about them.)
    >
    > I recently switched to FF from Opera. Opera had too many problems with
    > handling web pages properly. I'd say 30% of the day-to-day websites I
    > go to (Yahoo, Hotmail, eBay, etc.) had minor to severe problems in
    > Opera.
    >
    > I switched to FF because I like tabbed browsing. IE / Microsoft
    > appears to have no serious commitment to tabbed browsing, so when I got
    > fed up with Opera, I went to FF.
    >
    > Anyway, I soon noticed FF's voracious appetite for memory in my 256mb
    > PIII Dell Optiplex GX110.
    >
    > How? It's right there in the tray icon for RamDef Xtreme. A realtime
    > digital available-ram display. As I write this FF is the only thing
    > running and RamDef shows 117mb ram available (out of 189mb available
    > ram before starting FF).
    >
    > My "PTF" for FF's ram appetite is to set RamDef for an automatic ram
    > defrag when available ram drops to 40mb.
    >
    > When available ram drops to 40mb RamDef jumps in and moves most of that
    > idle FF ram cache out to the swap file. My avail ram jumps back up to
    > 130mb or so.
    >
    > This is a work-around, not a fix. I still have to close FF once each
    > day to get rid of all that cache.
    >
    > I initially installed RamDef to deal with W2K's ungodly 140mb ram
    > usage, which left only 110mb ram for apps. RamDef moves much of W2K
    > out to the swap file, yielding up to 190mb for apps.
    >
    > BTW, I have a 500mb fixed swap file on D. Good idea when running
    > RamDef.

    I presume that you also are of an age to remember ferrite-core array
    memories?? Anyone under the age of 55, *DO NOT* even think to ask, or
    some of us might start a very long OT thread!

    Well, my first question (before Dan gets in) is to ask "what do you
    think RAM is there for??" If FF is the only app running, it is quite
    normal for it to use all the RAM available - and methinks, 189-117=72MB
    is not overdoing it! (not to mention that 1 GB of RAM is *quite normal*
    these days).

    A different matter is when you close FF and *then* it is hogging RAM
    (what you call a leak) - then it is time to look at the task-manager to
    see if Firefox.EXE is still running in the background!

    As you still have a PIII, I presume your CPU is pretty slow and that the
    total RAM is 256MB or less?? You may well run into other system
    limitations on a setup of those dimensions!

    reg

  3. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    nice reply

    Regards...

    >Writer .. : packrat
    >Date .... : 21.01.2007 16:36:52
    >Reply ... : <1169390212.059171.64730@51g2000cwl.googlegroups.co m>

  4. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 21/01/2007 13:57, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused packrat to
    generate the following:? :
    > ("PTF" is an old IBM mainframe term, meaning "Permanet Temporary Fix".
    > IBM used to issue those back in my mainframe days. They were meant to
    > be a temporary fix... but sorta became permanent. The system
    > programmers used to laugh about them.)
    >
    > I recently switched to FF from Opera. Opera had too many problems with
    > handling web pages properly. I'd say 30% of the day-to-day websites I
    > go to (Yahoo, Hotmail, eBay, etc.) had minor to severe problems in
    > Opera.
    >
    > I switched to FF because I like tabbed browsing. IE / Microsoft
    > appears to have no serious commitment to tabbed browsing, so when I got
    > fed up with Opera, I went to FF.
    >
    > Anyway, I soon noticed FF's voracious appetite for memory in my 256mb
    > PIII Dell Optiplex GX110.
    >
    > How? It's right there in the tray icon for RamDef Xtreme. A realtime
    > digital available-ram display. As I write this FF is the only thing
    > running and RamDef shows 117mb ram available (out of 189mb available
    > ram before starting FF).
    >
    > My "PTF" for FF's ram appetite is to set RamDef for an automatic ram
    > defrag when available ram drops to 40mb.
    >
    > When available ram drops to 40mb RamDef jumps in and moves most of that
    > idle FF ram cache out to the swap file. My avail ram jumps back up to
    > 130mb or so.
    >
    > This is a work-around, not a fix. I still have to close FF once each
    > day to get rid of all that cache.
    >
    > I initially installed RamDef to deal with W2K's ungodly 140mb ram
    > usage, which left only 110mb ram for apps. RamDef moves much of W2K
    > out to the swap file, yielding up to 190mb for apps.
    >
    > BTW, I have a 500mb fixed swap file on D. Good idea when running
    > RamDef.

    give my congratulations to the Mayor of Olathe, KS for having a Son of
    the City such as you are!

    Oh, and by the way! Just *WHY* did you post this message??

    reg

  5. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    "give my congratulations to the Mayor of Olathe, KS for having a Son of
    the City such as you are!"

    What?

    "Oh, and by the way! Just *WHY* did you post this message??"

    Perhaps I should be asking that question to you. At least my post had
    some relevance to FireFox.

    packrat

  6. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    "Not to mention that (1) your Optiplex GX110 is limited to 512K and (2)
    Crucial.com doesn't seem to carry any compatible memory for it!"

    Hmmm... that's odd. I can buy 256mb sdrams for this box all day long
    on ebay. Pretty cheap too.

    packrat

  7. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    packrat produced the following on 1/21/2007 2:15 PM:
    > "Not to mention that (1) your Optiplex GX110 is limited to 512K and
    > (2) Crucial.com doesn't seem to carry any compatible memory for it!"
    >
    > Hmmm... that's odd. I can buy 256mb sdrams for this box all day long
    > on ebay. Pretty cheap too.

    Good. Send the OP one. :-)

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
    lesson afterwards.
    - Sanders' Law

  8. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 21/01/2007 20:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused packrat to
    generate the following:? :
    > "Not to mention that (1) your Optiplex GX110 is limited to 512K and (2)
    > Crucial.com doesn't seem to carry any compatible memory for it!"
    >
    > Hmmm... that's odd. I can buy 256mb sdrams for this box all day long
    > on ebay. Pretty cheap too.
    >
    > packrat

    "buy" yes - "put in" not so!

    reg

  9. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 2007-01-21 12:22 (-0700 UTC), Pete Holsberg wrote:

    > packrat produced the following on 1/21/2007 2:15 PM:
    >> "Not to mention that (1) your Optiplex GX110 is limited to 512K and
    >> (2) Crucial.com doesn't seem to carry any compatible memory for it!"
    >>
    >> Hmmm... that's odd. I can buy 256mb sdrams for this box all day long
    >> on ebay. Pretty cheap too.

    > Good. Send the OP one. :-)

    He /is/ the OP. :-D

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  10. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 21/01/2007 20:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Brian Heinrich
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 2007-01-21 12:22 (-0700 UTC), Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >

    >> packrat produced the following on 1/21/2007 2:15 PM:
    >>
    >>> "Not to mention that (1) your Optiplex GX110 is limited to 512K and
    >>> (2) Crucial.com doesn't seem to carry any compatible memory for it!"
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm... that's odd. I can buy 256mb sdrams for this box all day long
    >>> on ebay. Pretty cheap too.
    >>>

    >> Good. Send the OP one. :-)
    >>

    > He /is/ the OP. :-D
    >
    > /b.

    Methinks "TROLL ALERT" is recommended

    reg

  11. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    ""buy" yes - "put in" not so!"

    Perhaps you should continue this discussion in
    alt.senseless.adolescent.rant.

    I'm here to answer on-topic questions to my on-topic original post.

    packrat

  12. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    _packrat_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2007 7:57 AM:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_m...sage_-_Firefox
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  13. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _packrat_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2007 7:57 AM:
    >> Anyway, I soon noticed FF's voracious appetite for memory in my 256mb
    >> PIII Dell Optiplex GX110.
    >>
    >> How? It's right there in the tray icon for RamDef Xtreme. A realtime
    >> digital available-ram display. As I write this FF is the only thing
    >> running and RamDef shows 117mb ram available (out of 189mb available
    >> ram before starting FF).

    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_m...sage_-_Firefox

    That site has not been updated for FF 2.0; e.g., the Download history
    section.

  14. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    wrote:
    > nice reply
    >
    > Regards...
    >
    >> Writer .. : packrat
    >> Date .... : 21.01.2007 16:36:52
    >> Reply ... : <1169390212.059171.64730@51g2000cwl.googlegroups.co m>

    Err, "reply?" What reply? "Nice?" Nice relative to what? To what
    question? Trimming of posts is a virtue but, methinks, you have gone
    above and beyond the cause.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  15. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    packrat wrote:
    > "Not to mention that (1) your Optiplex GX110 is limited to 512K and (2)
    > Crucial.com doesn't seem to carry any compatible memory for it!"
    >
    > Hmmm... that's odd. I can buy 256mb sdrams for this box all day long
    > on ebay. Pretty cheap too.
    >
    > packrat

    Folks? Is it just me or, based on this post, am I the only one who has
    no idea what's going on? Look. Trim. Fine. Trim to save those poor sad
    dial-up folks pain. Trim to save all of us the need to scan though
    hundreds of lines of un-related scruff: Fine. But leave me a little
    something, ok? Just, at least, some teeny tiny tidbit, some scrap that I
    might, by reading just THIS post, have some minor notion of WHAT THE
    *!@#$ we're talking about. Kay? Please? I'm asking nicely. Heck,
    here's a smiley to let you know that I'm not on one of my slightly
    legendary rants. Kay? Please?

    :-)
    ;-)
    :-D

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  16. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 1/21/2007 4:59 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > packrat wrote:
    >> "Not to mention that (1) your Optiplex GX110 is limited to 512K and (2)
    >> Crucial.com doesn't seem to carry any compatible memory for it!"
    >>
    >> Hmmm... that's odd. I can buy 256mb sdrams for this box all day long
    >> on ebay. Pretty cheap too.
    >>
    >> packrat
    >>

    > Folks? Is it just me or, based on this post, am I the only one who has
    > no idea what's going on? Look. Trim. Fine. Trim to save those poor sad
    > dial-up folks pain. Trim to save all of us the need to scan though
    > hundreds of lines of un-related scruff: Fine. But leave me a little
    > something, ok? Just, at least, some teeny tiny tidbit, some scrap that I
    > might, by reading just THIS post, have some minor notion of WHAT THE
    > *!@#$ we're talking about. Kay? Please? I'm asking nicely. Heck,
    > here's a smiley to let you know that I'm not on one of my slightly
    > legendary rants. Kay? Please?
    >
    > :-)
    > ;-)
    > :-D

    Thanks Ed! I was about to scream.

    --
    Irwin

  17. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >Thanks Ed! I was about to scream.

    I find it helpful to read down through a thread before responding to a
    specific post.

    Google facilitates doing that. I can read down through the posts in
    straight chronological order, or tell Google to display them in tree
    order.

    If I were to complain about something it would be off-topic posts from
    people who apparently have nothing better to do with their time than
    troll through newsgroups looking for debate opportunities, e.g.
    squaredancer.

    packrat

  18. OT Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 22.01.2007 05:52, packrat wrote:

    > If I were to complain about something it would be off-topic posts from
    > people who apparently have nothing better to do with their time than
    > troll through newsgroups looking for debate opportunities, e.g.
    > squaredancer.

    Like you're doing now.

    F'up set to m.general

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  19. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    you can see Message-ID below my replies.

    Regards...

    >Writer .. : Ed Mullen
    >Date .... : 22.01.2007 02:54:56
    >Reply ... : news:1fydnWuEoKP8linYnZ2dnUVZ_vfinZ2d@mozilla.org

  20. Re: FF Memory Solution (PTF?)

    On 21/01/2007 22:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused packrat to
    generate the following:? :
    > ""buy" yes - "put in" not so!"
    >
    > Perhaps you should continue this discussion in
    > alt.senseless.adolescent.rant.
    >
    > I'm here to answer on-topic questions to my on-topic original post.
    >
    > packrat

    just re-read you OP ... maybe you posted to the wrong NG, seeing as you
    are used to alt.senseless.adolescent.rant - and that is why I asked you
    why you posted in the first place!

    As you may have noticed - even 2 ex-MozChamps haven't a clue what you
    are going on about, and your ranting shows all the signs of a TROLL posting!

    reg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast