opening pdf in Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on opening pdf in Firefox - Mozilla ; I have a current version of Adobe Reader on my computer. When I try to open a pdf file from within Firefox I get this error message: "pdf could not be opened because the associated helper application does not exist. ...

  1. opening pdf in Firefox

    I have a current version of Adobe Reader on my computer. When I try to open
    a pdf file from within Firefox I get this error message:

    "pdf could not be opened because the associated helper application does not
    exist. Change the association in your preferences."

    If I can copy the file to my desktop I can right click on it and it will
    open. But a pdf file won't open in Firefox or Outlook Express.

    Any help in solving this will be appreciated.

  2. Re: opening pdf in Firefox

    BAD wrote:
    > I have a current version of Adobe Reader on my computer. When I try
    > to open a pdf file from within Firefox I get this error message:
    >
    > "pdf could not be opened because the associated helper application
    > does not exist. Change the association in your preferences."
    >
    > If I can copy the file to my desktop I can right click on it and it
    > will open. But a pdf file won't open in Firefox or Outlook Express.
    >
    > Any help in solving this will be appreciated.

    1st. set Adobe reader as default pdf reader in your system.
    2nd. in firefox , goto Tools>Options>Content>File Type. if there is any
    pdf file type listed , delete that
    if no pdf entry listed then completely close FF
    goto Firefox profile folder
    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles"]
    rename 'mimeTypes.rdf' file to 'mimeTypes.rdf.1'
    Start FF.

  3. Re: opening pdf in Firefox

    Nir,

    Thanks. I followed your instructions and now I can open a pdf file within
    Firefox.

    "Nir" wrote in message
    news:J4CdnbKVOY7NzS_YnZ2dnUVZ_vfinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > BAD wrote:
    >> I have a current version of Adobe Reader on my computer. When I try
    >> to open a pdf file from within Firefox I get this error message:
    >>
    >> "pdf could not be opened because the associated helper application
    >> does not exist. Change the association in your preferences."
    >>
    >> If I can copy the file to my desktop I can right click on it and it
    >> will open. But a pdf file won't open in Firefox or Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> Any help in solving this will be appreciated.
    >>

    > 1st. set Adobe reader as default pdf reader in your system.
    > 2nd. in firefox , goto Tools>Options>Content>File Type. if there is any
    > pdf file type listed , delete that
    > if no pdf entry listed then completely close FF
    > goto Firefox profile folder
    > ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles"]
    > rename 'mimeTypes.rdf' file to 'mimeTypes.rdf.1'
    > Start FF.

+ Reply to Thread