opening file in a new tab - Mozilla

This is a discussion on opening file in a new tab - Mozilla ; hi all i have firefix 2.0 i cant get it to open a file in a new tab. I have mac os x 10.4.8 and when i try to open a file (e.g a saved one on my mac ) ...

  1. opening file in a new tab

    hi all

    i have firefix 2.0

    i cant get it to open a file in a new tab. I have mac os x 10.4.8 and
    when i try to open a file (e.g a saved one on my mac ) firefox opens it
    in a new window, even by setting new pages to open in a browser window,
    the new file (e.g. a hmtl file) still opens in its own window. is there
    some way to override this and get all files to open in the same window?
    I have a feeling this might be determined by the os but if anyone can
    help with this that would be great.

    i really hate having multiple windows open :-(

  2. Re: opening file in a new tab

    mcyi2mr3@googlemail.com wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > i have firefox 2.0
    >
    > i cant get it to open a file in a new tab. I have mac os x 10.4.8 and
    > when i try to open a file (e.g a saved one on my mac ) firefox opens
    > it in a new window, even by setting new pages to open in a browser
    > window, the new file (e.g. a hmtl file) still opens in its own
    > window. is there some way to override this and get all files to open
    > in the same window? I have a feeling this might be determined by the
    > os but if anyone can help with this that would be great.
    >
    > i really hate having multiple windows open :-(

    goto Firefox -> Preferences...>Tabs
    'New pages should be opened in:'
    'a new tab'

  3. Re: opening file in a new tab

    mcyi2mr3@googlemail.com wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > i have firefix 2.0
    >
    > i cant get it to open a file in a new tab. I have mac os x 10.4.8 and
    > when i try to open a file (e.g a saved one on my mac ) firefox opens it
    > in a new window, even by setting new pages to open in a browser window,
    > the new file (e.g. a hmtl file) still opens in its own window. is there
    > some way to override this and get all files to open in the same window?
    > I have a feeling this might be determined by the os but if anyone can
    > help with this that would be great.
    >
    > i really hate having multiple windows open :-(

    Actually I would love to have your problem where every new page open in
    the same window. I don't like Tabs and don't like spawning new windows.

  4. Re: opening file in a new tab

    I found on Mac OS (using 1.x) that ALL the tab-related extensions simply
    did not work. The integral tab things mostly _did_ however.

    Still, on the Mac I use Camino and just really miss Session Saver.

  5. Re: opening file in a new tab

    _mcyi2mr3@googlemail.com_ spoke thusly on 20/01/2007 4:43 AM:
    > i have firefix 2.0
    >
    > i cant get it to open a file in a new tab. I have mac os x 10.4.8 and
    > when i try to open a file (e.g a saved one on my mac ) firefox opens it
    > in a new window, even by setting new pages to open in a browser window,
    > the new file (e.g. a hmtl file) still opens in its own window. is there
    > some way to override this and get all files to open in the same window?
    > I have a feeling this might be determined by the os but if anyone can
    > help with this that would be great.
    >
    > i really hate having multiple windows open :-(

    I don't know if this works on Mac, but I find you can dictate where a
    file is opened, by dragging it to where you want, rather than using the
    File menu.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: opening file in a new tab

    wrote
    > i have firefix 2.0 [ Firefox]
    > i cant get it to open a file in a new tab.

    Please use proper capitalizations for sentences,
    the idea is to make a question easy to read for
    those who supply answers, and for those who
    may have the same problems.

    I don't have a Mac, but would suggest that you
    take a look at my page on using Tabs
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm

    including the use of keyboard shortcuts (almost the same
    on a Mac as on Windows) check your Help file, or
    http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/moz_shortcuts.html

    And finally check against the
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm#target
    area with various links to see what you are actually doing
    with them.

    And for Phillip, who I believe is also on a Mac, but
    doesn't want to use Tabs see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef....htm#tabkiller
    I know the extension does not work on a Mac, but there are
    the individual settings that you can do with about:config
    and it's support document.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

+ Reply to Thread