Extra extension trimming - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Extra extension trimming - Mozilla ; Ok, probably I'm looking for too much, but anyways. Take for example this page (you don't need to load it, just look at the extension) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...es/zoomit.mspx I click Ctrl+S and I get Save as type Web Page, HTML only Is ...

  1. Extra extension trimming

    Ok, probably I'm looking for too much, but anyways.

    Take for example this page (you don't need to load it, just look at the
    extension)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...es/zoomit.mspx
    I click Ctrl+S and I get Save as type Web Page, HTML only

    Is there a way to have FF trim the mspx extension before saving? I mean
    automatically. If I don't delete it by hand, I will save
    zoomit.mspx.htm
    when I would want simply to save
    zoomit.htm

    I remember old Mozilla versions on Windows would save .html files as
    ..html.htm that was funny, but I can't remember how much time ago.

    Probably mad question and the answer is to do it manually.
    :-)

    C.

  2. Re: Extra extension trimming

    "Claudio Valderrama C." >
    > Is there a way to have FF trim the mspx extension before saving? I mean
    > automatically. If I don't delete it by hand, I will save
    > zoomit.mspx.htm
    > when I would want simply to save
    > zoomit.htm

    I think you want too much.

    I think the tendency by many is to create long supposedly
    descriptive name (which I had to see for links) like
    Zoomit_zoom_screen_and_mark_by_Mark_Russinovich.ht m

    Personally I prefer bookmarks adding a description,
    and maybe even a keyword shortcut.

    If the site disappears change the bookmark to it's internet
    archive url, which may or may not exist. Of course if it
    were a news article you would have to save the actual
    article as you are doing, and Microsoft sites which often
    generate content on the fly so may not get archived
    at archive.org

    You can have Ctrl+D (Add Bookmark) include
    key word with a userChrome.css addition, but
    to include the Description area without resorting
    to reentering under properties, I think you have
    to use an extension like "OpenBook".

    But perhaps your technique and interest is one that I kind of
    tried. When saving a download save a text
    copy (in your case HTML copy) of the descriptive
    information by the same name. So if you save
    zoomit.zip you also have a zoomit.htm in the same
    directory. I've kind of come to the conclusion that
    it is better to document what you have, and go out
    get fresh copies if you lose something, and to backup
    all of your personal data.

    I know what I have in my downloads for everything not
    just Firefox is very cluttered and I could double my free
    space if I regained 1GB from it. But it contains zip files,
    expanded zips. I could just put it all onto an external
    drive and remove it except that many applications are
    actually run from applications in that drectory.
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

+ Reply to Thread