Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself? - Mozilla ; Hi I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 with both Firefox 2.0 and Swiftfox available for browsing. Swiftfox works fine with few problems other than that it continually reminds me that I have just updated Firefox before getting to the homepage. In addition, ...

  1. Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Hi
    I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 with both Firefox 2.0 and Swiftfox available for
    browsing.
    Swiftfox works fine with few problems other than that it continually
    reminds me that I have just updated Firefox before getting to the
    homepage. In addition, it insists on carrying out a check for add-on
    compatibility on its way to the homepage.

    These are, however, tolerable problems as they don't take up too much
    time.

    Firefox, on the other hand, in general launches very slowly (1-2
    minutes to complete launching of the opening page). Even then, the
    opening page is NOT Google which is the designated homepage but the
    Ubuntu Edgy Release notes (for reasons that I do not understand).

    When I open about:config, under these circumstances and check the
    network.dns.disable.IPV6 switch, it is set to False even though I have
    always tried to keep it set to True.
    If I switch back to True, FF opens quickly on the Google homepage and
    continues to do so through many cycles of launching and shutting down.
    However, should I launch Swiftfox and then try FF once more, I find the
    old sluggish behaviour has returned and the IPV6 switch is back at
    False.

    Anybody know what's going on here?

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    PaulFXH wrote:
    > Hi I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 with both Firefox 2.0 and Swiftfox available
    > for browsing. Swiftfox works fine with few problems other than that
    > it continually reminds me that I have just updated Firefox before
    > getting to the homepage. In addition, it insists on carrying out a
    > check for add-on compatibility on its way to the homepage.
    >
    > These are, however, tolerable problems as they don't take up too much
    > time.
    >
    > Firefox, on the other hand, in general launches very slowly (1-2
    > minutes to complete launching of the opening page). Even then, the
    > opening page is NOT Google which is the designated homepage but the
    > Ubuntu Edgy Release notes (for reasons that I do not understand).
    >
    > When I open about:config, under these circumstances and check the
    > network.dns.disable.IPV6 switch, it is set to False even though I
    > have always tried to keep it set to True.

    check file permission of 'prefs.js' file ( located within profile
    folder "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles" )
    > If I switch back to True, FF opens quickly on the Google homepage and
    > continues to do so through many cycles of launching and shutting
    > down. However, should I launch Swiftfox and then try FF once more, I
    > find the old sluggish behaviour has returned and the IPV6 switch is
    > back at False.

    you can use 'user.js' file to solve it ( if it doesn't exist in your
    profile folder , create it )
    completely close Firefox ( including firefox and firefox-bin process )
    open 'user.js' in word editor
    put this line in user.js file
    user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", false);
    save this file

    Start FF, check value of this pref in about:config

  3. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Nir wrote:
    > PaulFXH wrote:
    >> Hi I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 with both Firefox 2.0 and Swiftfox available
    >> for browsing. Swiftfox works fine with few problems other than that
    >> it continually reminds me that I have just updated Firefox before
    >> getting to the homepage. In addition, it insists on carrying out a
    >> check for add-on compatibility on its way to the homepage.
    >>
    >> These are, however, tolerable problems as they don't take up too much
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Firefox, on the other hand, in general launches very slowly (1-2
    >> minutes to complete launching of the opening page). Even then, the
    >> opening page is NOT Google which is the designated homepage but the
    >> Ubuntu Edgy Release notes (for reasons that I do not understand).
    >>
    >> When I open about:config, under these circumstances and check the
    >> network.dns.disable.IPV6 switch, it is set to False even though I have
    >> always tried to keep it set to True.

    > check file permission of 'prefs.js' file ( located within profile
    > folder "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles" )
    >> If I switch back to True, FF opens quickly on the Google homepage and
    >> continues to do so through many cycles of launching and shutting
    >> down. However, should I launch Swiftfox and then try FF once more, I
    >> find the old sluggish behaviour has returned and the IPV6 switch is
    >> back at False.

    > you can use 'user.js' file to solve it ( if it doesn't exist in your
    > profile folder , create it )
    > completely close Firefox ( including firefox and firefox-bin process )
    > open 'user.js' in word editor
    > put this line in user.js file
    > user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", false);

    ....., true);

    (OP: "...I have always tried to keep it set to True.")

    > save this file
    >
    > Start FF, check value of this pref in about:config

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  4. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> PaulFXH wrote:
    >>> Hi I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 with both Firefox 2.0 and Swiftfox available
    >>> for browsing. Swiftfox works fine with few problems other than that
    >>> it continually reminds me that I have just updated Firefox before
    >>> getting to the homepage. In addition, it insists on carrying out a
    >>> check for add-on compatibility on its way to the homepage.
    >>>
    >>> These are, however, tolerable problems as they don't take up too much
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox, on the other hand, in general launches very slowly (1-2
    >>> minutes to complete launching of the opening page). Even then, the
    >>> opening page is NOT Google which is the designated homepage but the
    >>> Ubuntu Edgy Release notes (for reasons that I do not understand).
    >>>
    >>> When I open about:config, under these circumstances and check the
    >>> network.dns.disable.IPV6 switch, it is set to False even though I
    >>> have always tried to keep it set to True.

    >> check file permission of 'prefs.js' file ( located within profile
    >> folder "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles" )
    >>> If I switch back to True, FF opens quickly on the Google homepage and
    >>> continues to do so through many cycles of launching and shutting
    >>> down. However, should I launch Swiftfox and then try FF once more, I
    >>> find the old sluggish behaviour has returned and the IPV6 switch is
    >>> back at False.

    >> you can use 'user.js' file to solve it ( if it doesn't exist in your
    >> profile folder , create it )
    >> completely close Firefox ( including firefox and firefox-bin process )
    >> open 'user.js' in word editor
    >> put this line in user.js file
    >> user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", false);

    > ....., true);
    >
    > (OP: "...I have always tried to keep it set to True.")
    >
    >> save this file
    >>
    >> Start FF, check value of this pref in about:config

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Thanks Tony

    To Paul : actual line is
    user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", true);

  5. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Nir wrote:

    > To Paul : actual line is
    > user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6", true);

    Hi Nir
    OK, I created the user.js file as you suggested and that certainly
    seems to have overcome the problem of the IPv6 switch toggling itself
    off whenever Swiftfox was launched (apparently).
    As a result, Firefox launches much more quickly and links are retrieved
    with the expected speed.

    Nevertheless, things are still not quite right.

    If I launch Swiftfox, shut it down and try Firefox again, it tries to
    open TWO home pages (as already noted, although this time MUCH more
    quickly). So, the Ubuntu 6.10 Release Notes show up in Tab #1 with
    Google (the designated home page) in Tab #2.
    The IPv6 switch, however, remains at True.
    If I now shut down FF and open it again, this time the Ubuntu Release
    Notes do NOT show up, only Google.
    It therefore seems that Swiftfox is still changing something in FFs
    preferences.

    Additionally, just after going back to FF after having shutdown
    Swiftfox, the first thing I see is FF checking the compatibility of
    add-ons. It does not do this UNLESS its opening is preceded by Swiftfox
    having been shut down.

    Thanks for your help so far
    Paul

  6. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    PaulFXH wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> To Paul : actual line is user_pref("network.dns.disableIPv6",
    >> true);

    > Hi Nir OK, I created the user.js file as you suggested and that
    > certainly seems to have overcome the problem of the IPv6 switch
    > toggling itself off whenever Swiftfox was launched (apparently). As a
    > result, Firefox launches much more quickly and links are retrieved
    > with the expected speed.
    >
    > Nevertheless, things are still not quite right.
    >
    > If I launch Swiftfox, shut it down and try Firefox again, it tries to
    > open TWO home pages (as already noted, although this time MUCH more
    > quickly). So, the Ubuntu 6.10 Release Notes show up in Tab #1 with
    > Google (the designated home page) in Tab #2. The IPv6 switch,
    > however, remains at True. If I now shut down FF and open it again,
    > this time the Ubuntu Release Notes do NOT show up, only Google. It
    > therefore seems that Swiftfox is still changing something in FFs
    > preferences.
    >
    > Additionally, just after going back to FF after having shutdown
    > Swiftfox, the first thing I see is FF checking the compatibility of
    > add-ons. It does not do this UNLESS its opening is preceded by
    > Swiftfox having been shut down.
    >
    > Thanks for your help so far Paul

    As its evident that Swiftfox has some control over firefox , most
    probably they are sharing a common file , create a test profile folder
    Firefox.

    cd /path to firefox program folder
    './firefox' -P

    after stating FF with test profile , set 'network.dns.disableIPv6' to
    'true' in about:config
    change Home page and other settings which were under influence in old
    profile.
    close FF
    start Swiftfox
    close it
    start FF
    same problem?

  7. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Nir wrote:

    > As its evident that Swiftfox has some control over firefox , most
    > probably they are sharing a common file , create a test profile folder
    > Firefox.
    >
    > cd /path to firefox program folder
    > './firefox' -P
    >
    > after stating FF with test profile , set 'network.dns.disableIPv6' to
    > 'true' in about:config
    > change Home page and other settings which were under influence in old
    > profile.
    > close FF
    > start Swiftfox
    > close it
    > start FF
    > same problem?

    Thanks for the reply, Nir.
    OK, I did that (actually I created a new folder called "firefox -P" in
    the Home/,mozilla/firefox/ folder).
    Now, ALL of the problems have gone in that clicking on the FF icon
    brings up a browser on the correct home page immediately and it doesn't
    go through that "checking for add-ons compatibility" stage.
    However, it's not Firefox. It's actually Swiftfox that opens.
    I don't know if this means that Swiftfox and FF are so intricately tied
    up together that you can either have one or the other but not both.
    In point of fact, I do not at all need both so the present situation is
    perfect.
    Interestingly, nothing at all seems to appear in the new folder I
    created although I do clear most personal data on shutiing down the
    browser.
    Many thanks for your help, Nir
    Paul

  8. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    PaulFXH wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> As its evident that Swiftfox has some control over firefox , most
    >> probably they are sharing a common file , create a test profile
    >> folder Firefox.
    >>
    >> cd /path to firefox program folder './firefox' -P
    >>
    >> after stating FF with test profile , set 'network.dns.disableIPv6'
    >> to 'true' in about:config change Home page and other settings
    >> which were under influence in old profile. close FF start Swiftfox
    >> close it start FF same problem?

    > Thanks for the reply, Nir. OK, I did that (actually I created a new
    > folder called "firefox -P" in the Home/,mozilla/firefox/ folder).

    No , I actually suggested to create a Test profile using Profile manager.
    This article contains info about who to open Profile manager in Linux :
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Linux"

    > Now, ALL of the problems have gone in that clicking on the FF icon
    > brings up a browser on the correct home page immediately and it
    > doesn't go through that "checking for add-ons compatibility" stage.
    > However, it's not Firefox. It's actually Swiftfox that opens.

    goto Firefox program folder.
    double click on 'firefox' file
    still opens 'Swiftfox'?

  9. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Nir wrote:
    > PaulFXH wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>
    >>> As its evident that Swiftfox has some control over firefox , most
    >>> probably they are sharing a common file , create a test profile
    >>> folder Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> cd /path to firefox program folder './firefox' -P
    >>>
    >>> after stating FF with test profile , set
    >>> 'network.dns.disableIPv6' to 'true' in about:config change Home
    >>> page and other settings which were under influence in old
    >>> profile. close FF start Swiftfox close it start FF same problem?

    >> Thanks for the reply, Nir. OK, I did that (actually I created a new
    >> folder called "firefox -P" in the Home/,mozilla/firefox/ folder).
    >>

    > No , I actually suggested to create a Test profile using Profile
    > manager.

    Sorry , This article contains info about how to open Profile manager in
    Linux :
    > "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Linux"

    and before going to open Profile manager , make it sure that no firefox
    or Swiftfox process is running.
    if you are using KDE , then run this
    command to open 'ksysguard' :

    ksysguard

    >> Now, ALL of the problems have gone in that clicking on the FF icon
    >> brings up a browser on the correct home page immediately and it
    >> doesn't go through that "checking for add-ons compatibility" stage.
    >> However, it's not Firefox. It's actually Swiftfox that opens.

    > goto Firefox program folder. double click on 'firefox' file still
    > opens 'Swiftfox'?

    also before opening FF , make it sure that no firefox or Swiftfox
    process is running.

  10. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Nir wrote:

    > > No , I actually suggested to create a Test profile using Profile
    > > manager.

    > Sorry , This article contains info about how to open Profile manager in
    > Linux :
    > > "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Linux"

    > and before going to open Profile manager , make it sure that no firefox
    > or Swiftfox process is running.
    > if you are using KDE , then run this
    > command to open 'ksysguard' :
    >
    > ksysguard
    >

    > also before opening FF , make it sure that no firefox or Swiftfox
    > process is running.

    Hi Nir
    Almost as soon as I had posted my last message. I found that clicking
    on the Firefox icon had reverted to giving the same problems as before.
    Essentially, then, everything I wrote in the last post was complete
    nonsense. The fact that the FF icon was launching Swiftfox (which it
    did at least 8 times) may well have been due to Swiftfox actually
    running "in the background" at the time, or something.

    I tried what you have now suggested but am not getting very far.
    In the terminal (from the Home folder), I change directory to /.mozilla
    and then insert ./firefox -profilemanager but this just gives a bash
    error stating that ./firefox is a directory.
    If I then change the directory in terminal to /.mozilla/firefox and try
    to execute ./firefox -profilemanager, bash then tells me that
    ../firefox: no such directory.

    As I believe I have followed the mozillaZine article to the letter, I'm
    not sure where to go from here.

    Thanks for your perseverance with this problem and my (occasional)
    inanity.
    Paul

  11. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    PaulFXH wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >>> No , I actually suggested to create a Test profile using Profile
    >>> manager.

    >> Sorry , This article contains info about how to open Profile
    >> manager in Linux :
    >>> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Linux"

    >> and before going to open Profile manager , make it sure that no
    >> firefox or Swiftfox process is running. if you are using KDE , then
    >> run this command to open 'ksysguard' :
    >>
    >> ksysguard
    >>

    >> also before opening FF , make it sure that no firefox or Swiftfox
    >> process is running.

    > Hi Nir Almost as soon as I had posted my last message. I found that
    > clicking on the Firefox icon had reverted to giving the same problems
    > as before. Essentially, then, everything I wrote in the last post
    > was complete nonsense. The fact that the FF icon was launching
    > Swiftfox (which it did at least 8 times) may well have been due to
    > Swiftfox actually running "in the background" at the time, or
    > something.
    >
    > I tried what you have now suggested but am not getting very far. In
    > the terminal (from the Home folder), I change directory to /.mozilla
    > and then insert ./firefox -profilemanager but this just gives a bash
    > error stating that ./firefox is a directory. If I then change the
    > directory in terminal to /.mozilla/firefox and try to execute
    > ./firefox -profilemanager, bash then tells me that ../firefox: no
    > such directory.
    >
    > As I believe I have followed the mozillaZine article to the letter,
    > I'm not sure where to go from here.

    well , this method may work.
    open console window
    type this command(without quote):
    "type firefox"

    it will return the path of firefox file, for example ,like this :
    firefox is /usr/bin/firefox

    now run this command:
    path_of_Firefox_file -P

    for example :
    /usr/bin/firefox -P

  12. Re: Firefox toggling IPV6 switch by itself?

    Nir wrote:

    > well , this method may work.
    > open console window
    > type this command(without quote):
    > "type firefox"
    >
    > it will return the path of firefox file, for example ,like this :
    > firefox is /usr/bin/firefox
    >
    > now run this command:
    > path_of_Firefox_file -P
    >
    > for example :
    > /usr/bin/firefox -P

    Hi Nir,
    Hmmm, so apparently I picked the wrong firefox folder.
    OK, I tried again as you suggested and certainly something seemed to
    happen this time in that I got a number of messages in the terminal
    before I got back to the command prompt.
    However, it didn't make any difference whatsoever to the behaviour I
    have described when changing from FF to SW or vice-versa.
    Howver, given that I will very rarely, if ever, need to use FF, it
    really is not such a big deal although I would like to understand the
    reason for this behaviour.
    I've posted also to the Swiftfox Forum on this problem. If anything
    comes out of this, i will post back here.

    Once again, many thanks for your help
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread