Transparent menu items, not very useful - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Transparent menu items, not very useful - Mozilla ; Hello, I have in Content | Colors the following option unchecked: Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above. This is because I'm color blind and thus I have problems with the background color chosen by ...

  1. Transparent menu items, not very useful

    Hello, I have in Content | Colors the following option unchecked:
    Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above.

    This is because I'm color blind and thus I have problems with the background
    color chosen by some psychodelic web designers in the net.

    However, when a site has menus, their background is not white for example,
    but transparent! This makes almost impossible to read the menu text. Not the
    best example, but have a look here:
    http://www.adobe.com/
    If you put the mouse over SUPPORT or any other top menu item, you will
    understand. In this case, if I have both disabled:
    - Use system colors and
    - Allow pages to choose their own colors
    then the effect is almost unreadable text. I know other sites where the
    problem is even more visible, but can't remember them for now. In this case,
    it would be a good idea to make the dropdown menu's background opaque, using
    the same default color of a new page in Firefox.

    Another example:
    http://www.intel.com/products/index...._nav1_products

    Thanks.

    C.

  2. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    On 2007.01.19 03:54 Claudio Valderrama C. wrote:
    > Hello, I have in Content | Colors the following option unchecked:
    > Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above.
    >
    > This is because I'm color blind and thus I have problems with the background
    > color chosen by some psychodelic web designers in the net.
    >
    > However, when a site has menus, their background is not white for example,
    > but transparent! This makes almost impossible to read the menu text. Not the
    > best example, but have a look here:
    > http://www.adobe.com/
    > If you put the mouse over SUPPORT or any other top menu item, you will
    > understand. In this case, if I have both disabled:
    > - Use system colors and
    > - Allow pages to choose their own colors
    > then the effect is almost unreadable text. I know other sites where the
    > problem is even more visible, but can't remember them for now. In this case,
    > it would be a good idea to make the dropdown menu's background opaque, using
    > the same default color of a new page in Firefox.
    >
    > Another example:
    > http://www.intel.com/products/index...._nav1_products
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > C.

    Yes, the dropdown menu's background becomes transparent when you
    unselect the webpage colors. In the past I encountered this problem and
    I came to the conclusion that it is generally preferable always to have
    the webpage colors activated and use bookmarklets at the bookmarks bar
    to change the colors when I have to read a long article.

    I suspect it is a rendering bug: when you unselect the webpage colors,
    FF should specify a default background color for the dropdown menus; it
    doesn't seem to do this.

  3. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    Tbird Leader Eustace radioed the tower, On 1/19/2007 2:04 PM:
    > On 2007.01.19 03:54 Claudio Valderrama C. wrote:
    >> Hello, I have in Content | Colors the following option unchecked:
    >> Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above.
    >>
    >> This is because I'm color blind and thus I have problems with the
    >> background
    >> color chosen by some psychodelic web designers in the net.
    >>
    >> However, when a site has menus, their background is not white for
    >> example,
    >> but transparent! This makes almost impossible to read the menu text.
    >> Not the
    >> best example, but have a look here:
    >> http://www.adobe.com/
    >> If you put the mouse over SUPPORT or any other top menu item, you will
    >> understand. In this case, if I have both disabled:
    >> - Use system colors and
    >> - Allow pages to choose their own colors
    >> then the effect is almost unreadable text. I know other sites where the
    >> problem is even more visible, but can't remember them for now. In
    >> this case,
    >> it would be a good idea to make the dropdown menu's background
    >> opaque, using
    >> the same default color of a new page in Firefox.
    >>
    >> Another example:
    >> http://www.intel.com/products/index...._nav1_products
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> C.

    > Yes, the dropdown menu's background becomes transparent when you
    > unselect the webpage colors. In the past I encountered this problem
    > and I came to the conclusion that it is generally preferable always to
    > have the webpage colors activated and use bookmarklets at the
    > bookmarks bar to change the colors when I have to read a long article.
    >
    > I suspect it is a rendering bug: when you unselect the webpage colors,
    > FF should specify a default background color for the dropdown menus;
    > it doesn't seem to do this.

    The theme developers have the option to skin the drop down menus. If
    your theme does not, it can be modified through the user.chrome.css.
    One of the options then is to turn off the transparency and or set a
    color of your choice. My theme preference is a full skin model, so drop
    downs were set to coordinate with the theme.

    In this block from my user.chrome.css I point you to the last line
    highlighted in red. The drop down / fly out menus are effected by this
    block of styling.

    //* Windows Classic (9x/Me/2000) style Menus */
    menupopup, popup {
    font-size: 1.1em !important;
    border: 2px solid !important;
    -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    padding: 1px !important;
    margin: 1px !important;
    min-width: 2px !important;
    **//

    /So the suggested entry for your file is this:

    menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }

    If that does not help then I suggest replacing the word menu with color
    name gray. The key here is to over ride the transparency to get a solid
    menu background.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  4. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    Tbird Leader Ron K. radioed the tower, On 1/19/2007 4:22 PM:
> [...]

    > this block of styling.
    >
    > //* Windows Classic (9x/Me/2000) style Menus */
    > menupopup, popup {
    > font-size: 1.1em !important;
    > border: 2px solid !important;
    > -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > padding: 1px !important;
    > margin: 1px !important;
    > min-width: 2px !important;
    > **//
    >
    > /So the suggested entry for your file is this:
    >
    > menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }
    >
    > If that does not help then I suggest replacing the word menu with
    > color name gray. The key here is to over ride the transparency to get

    Oops, composed in HTML and got sent as plain text so the highlighted
    text disappeared. That last entry was: background-color: menu
    !important; as shown in the suggested CSS code.
    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  5. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    "Ron K." wrote in message

    > In this block from my user.chrome.css I point you to the last line
    > highlighted in red. The drop down / fly out menus are effected by this
    > block of styling.
    >
    > //* Windows Classic (9x/Me/2000) style Menus */
    > menupopup, popup {
    > font-size: 1.1em !important;
    > border: 2px solid !important;
    > -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > padding: 1px !important;
    > margin: 1px !important;
    > min-width: 2px !important;
    > **//
    >
    > /So the suggested entry for your file is this:
    >
    > menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }
    >
    > If that does not help then I suggest replacing the word menu with color
    > name gray. The key here is to over ride the transparency to get a solid
    > menu background.

    I'm not used to any customization beyond the options and some direct changes
    to about:config, so excuse the stupid question:
    Is is enough if I include this only line in a file named user.chrome.css?
    I couldn't find this file in my disk, so I assume all is working at default
    settings.

    Thanks.

    C.

  6. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    Claudio Valderrama C. wrote:
    > "Ron K." wrote in message
    >> In this block from my user.chrome.css I point you to the last line
    >> highlighted in red. The drop down / fly out menus are effected by
    >> this block of styling.
    >>
    >> //* Windows Classic (9x/Me/2000) style Menus */ menupopup, popup {
    >> font-size: 1.1em !important; border: 2px solid !important;
    >> -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    >> -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    >> -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    >> -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    >> padding: 1px !important; margin: 1px !important; min-width: 2px
    >> !important; **//
    >>
    >> /So the suggested entry for your file is this:
    >>
    >> menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }
    >>
    >> If that does not help then I suggest replacing the word menu with
    >> color name gray. The key here is to over ride the transparency to
    >> get a solid menu background.

    > I'm not used to any customization beyond the options and some direct
    > changes to about:config, so excuse the stupid question: Is is enough
    > if I include this only line in a file named user.chrome.css? I
    > couldn't find this file in my disk, so I assume all is working at
    > default settings.

    actual file name is 'userChrome.css' .
    This file doesn't exist by default .
    first goto Firefox profile folder
    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles"]
    create a folder named 'chrome'
    open 'chrome' folder . create a file named 'userChrome.css'
    Open this file in any word editor.
    put those codes within this file
    save this file
    start FF

  7. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    On 2007.01.19 16:22 Ron K. wrote:
> [...]

    > block of styling.
    >
    > //* Windows Classic (9x/Me/2000) style Menus */
    > menupopup, popup {
    > font-size: 1.1em !important;
    > border: 2px solid !important;
    > -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > padding: 1px !important;
    > margin: 1px !important;
    > min-width: 2px !important;
    > **//
    >
    > /So the suggested entry for your file is this:
    >
    > menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }
    >
    > If that does not help then I suggest replacing the word menu with color
    > name gray. The key here is to over ride the transparency to get a solid

    Unfortunately

    menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }

    didn't work. But I wouldn't like to specify a specific drop-down menu
    background color; I'd prefer it to be:

    * either the webpage specified color when the webpage colors are allowed,

    * or

    * either the Windows background color when System Colors is checked
    * or the FF background color when System Colors is not checked (these
    two are different here).

    Otherwise forget it, nowadays I almost always prefer to have the webpage
    colors on, and the issue affects only a specific element of some page.

    Besides when you specify a color like gray, it affects the dropdown
    menus of the FF menu bar, not of the webpage! The (default theme) FF
    dropdown menus over here use the system's colors, and that is as it
    should be. Are you sure that we are talking of the same thing? Me and
    Claudio are talking about the dropdown menus within webpages (as well as
    the tooltips that appear when the pointer is over a My Yahoo news link),
    not of FF menu bar...

    Eustace

    --
    Downloadable JavaScript Date Calculator
    http://www.geocities.com/emfrilingos/tm/datecalc.html

  8. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    Tbird Leader Eustace radioed the tower, On 1/20/2007 10:53 PM:
> [...]

    > * either the webpage specified color when the webpage colors are allowed,
    >
    > * or
    >
    > * either the Windows background color when System Colors is checked
    > * or the FF background color when System Colors is not checked
    > (these two are different here).
    >
    > Otherwise forget it, nowadays I almost always prefer to have the
    > webpage colors on, and the issue affects only a specific element of
    > some page.
    >
    > Besides when you specify a color like gray, it affects the dropdown
    > menus of the FF menu bar, not of the webpage! The (default theme) FF
    > dropdown menus over here use the system's colors, and that is as it
    > should be. Are you sure that we are talking of the same thing? Me and
    > Claudio are talking about the dropdown menus within webpages (as well
    > as the tooltips that appear when the pointer is over a My Yahoo news

    We are talking about two different things, my misunderstanding. A
    solution for web pages would require creation of a complete style sheet
    that may only work with one or two web sites. Such is beyond my experience.
    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  9. Re: Transparent menu items, not very useful

    "Eustace" wrote in message
    news:SYCdnabuIJ4Ofi_YnZ2dnUVZ_segnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > > The theme developers have the option to skin the drop down menus. If
    > > your theme does not, it can be modified through the user.chrome.css.
    > > One of the options then is to turn off the transparency and or set a
    > > color of your choice. My theme preference is a full skin model, so drop
    > > downs were set to coordinate with the theme.
    > >
    > > In this block from my user.chrome.css I point you to the last line
    > > highlighted in red. The drop down / fly out menus are effected by this
    > > block of styling.
    > >
    > > //* Windows Classic (9x/Me/2000) style Menus */
    > > menupopup, popup {
    > > font-size: 1.1em !important;
    > > border: 2px solid !important;
    > > -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > > -moz-border-right-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > > -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDShadow;
    > > -moz-border-left-colors: ThreeDLightShadow ThreeDHighlight;
    > > padding: 1px !important;
    > > margin: 1px !important;
    > > min-width: 2px !important;
    > > **//
    > >
    > > /So the suggested entry for your file is this:
    > >
    > > menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }
    > >
    > > If that does not help then I suggest replacing the word menu with color
    > > name gray. The key here is to over ride the transparency to get a solid
    > > menu background.

    > Unfortunately
    >
    > menupopup, popup { background-color: Menu !important; }
    >
    > didn't work. But I wouldn't like to specify a specific drop-down menu
    > background color; I'd prefer it to be:
    >
    > * either the webpage specified color when the webpage colors are allowed,
    >
    > * or
    >
    > * either the Windows background color when System Colors is checked
    > * or the FF background color when System Colors is not checked (these
    > two are different here).

    Yes, it didn't work at all. I continue having the same problem,
    unfortunately.

    > Otherwise forget it, nowadays I almost always prefer to have the webpage
    > colors on, and the issue affects only a specific element of some page.

    Maybe you aren't color blind like me?
    :-)

    > Besides when you specify a color like gray, it affects the dropdown
    > menus of the FF menu bar, not of the webpage! The (default theme) FF
    > dropdown menus over here use the system's colors, and that is as it
    > should be. Are you sure that we are talking of the same thing? Me and
    > Claudio are talking about the dropdown menus within webpages (as well as
    > the tooltips that appear when the pointer is over a My Yahoo news link),
    > not of FF menu bar...

    Well, it seems there's no solution for now.
    :-(

    C.

+ Reply to Thread