Google search from URL field? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Google search from URL field? - Mozilla ; Is there any way to persuade FF to perform the Google search from the URL field on the top of the browser, the same way as it is working in Mozilla? The Mozilla's behavior is very useful, one just types ...

  1. Google search from URL field?

    Is there any way to persuade FF to perform the Google search from the
    URL field on the top of the browser, the same way as it is working in
    Mozilla?

    The Mozilla's behavior is very useful, one just types the search string
    in the URL field and presses the ARROW DOWN key, and the request is sent
    to Google.

    Such overloading of the URL field is (in my experience) more
    natural/intuitive than the current FF behavior where one has to click
    into the short Google search field in the top right corner of the
    browser window. This is probably due to the two factors: (1) the URL
    field is larger and scales proportionally to the with of the browser
    window (as opposite to the search field that is fixed and very short
    length, frequently too short to see the whole quoted phrase being sought
    for); and (2) the URL field is in the left-vs-right center of the
    browser, and it is much easier target to hit than the search field.

    Is this possible to achieve, perhaps using some chrome setting or maybe
    some extension?

    Thanks,
    John

  2. Re: Google search from URL field?

    _John Smith_ spoke thusly on 18/01/2007 12:55 AM:
    > Is there any way to persuade FF to perform the Google search from the
    > URL field on the top of the browser, the same way as it is working in
    > Mozilla?
    >
    > The Mozilla's behavior is very useful, one just types the search string
    > in the URL field and presses the ARROW DOWN key, and the request is sent
    > to Google.
    >
    > Such overloading of the URL field is (in my experience) more
    > natural/intuitive than the current FF behavior where one has to click
    > into the short Google search field in the top right corner of the
    > browser window. This is probably due to the two factors: (1) the URL
    > field is larger and scales proportionally to the with of the browser
    > window (as opposite to the search field that is fixed and very short
    > length, frequently too short to see the whole quoted phrase being sought
    > for); and (2) the URL field is in the left-vs-right center of the
    > browser, and it is much easier target to hit than the search field.
    >
    > Is this possible to achieve, perhaps using some chrome setting or maybe
    > some extension?

    Which version are you using? If it's Firefox to, simply entering text
    into the address bar and pressing will trigger a Google search.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: Google search from URL field?

    On 2007-01-17 22:55 (-0700 UTC), John Smith wrote:

    > Is there any way to persuade FF to perform the Google search from the
    > URL field on the top of the browser, the same way as it is working in
    > Mozilla?
    >
    > The Mozilla's behavior is very useful, one just types the search string
    > in the URL field and presses the ARROW DOWN key, and the request is sent
    > to Google.
    >
    > Such overloading of the URL field is (in my experience) more
    > natural/intuitive than the current FF behavior where one has to click
    > into the short Google search field in the top right corner of the
    > browser window. This is probably due to the two factors: (1) the URL
    > field is larger and scales proportionally to the with of the browser
    > window (as opposite to the search field that is fixed and very short
    > length, frequently too short to see the whole quoted phrase being sought
    > for); and (2) the URL field is in the left-vs-right center of the
    > browser, and it is much easier target to hit than the search field.
    >
    > Is this possible to achieve, perhaps using some chrome setting or maybe
    > some extension?

    I realise this doesn't exactly address your question, but. . . : ;-)

    I became so accustomed to to the Moz/SM behaviour, that it took me forever
    to get used the the Fx behaviour . . . but, now that I'm used to it, I'm not
    sure I'd want to be without it.

    + K (^k) will put the cursor into the search field, just as +
    L (^l) does for the URL bar. What I've come to appreciate about the way
    it's been set up in Fx is that I can customise the search engines I use and
    use + [ | ] to select which one to use. It's
    actually quite handy, once you get used to it. . . .

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  4. Re: Google search from URL field?

    On 1/18/2007 12:54 AM, Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-01-17 22:55 (-0700 UTC), John Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to persuade FF to perform the Google search from the
    >> URL field on the top of the browser, the same way as it is working in
    >> Mozilla?
    >>
    >> The Mozilla's behavior is very useful, one just types the search
    >> string in the URL field and presses the ARROW DOWN key, and the
    >> request is sent to Google.
    >>
    >> Such overloading of the URL field is (in my experience) more
    >> natural/intuitive than the current FF behavior where one has to click
    >> into the short Google search field in the top right corner of the
    >> browser window. This is probably due to the two factors: (1) the URL
    >> field is larger and scales proportionally to the with of the browser
    >> window (as opposite to the search field that is fixed and very short
    >> length, frequently too short to see the whole quoted phrase being
    >> sought for); and (2) the URL field is in the left-vs-right center of
    >> the browser, and it is much easier target to hit than the search field.
    >>
    >> Is this possible to achieve, perhaps using some chrome setting or
    >> maybe some extension?

    > I realise this doesn't exactly address your question, but. . . : ;-)
    >
    > I became so accustomed to to the Moz/SM behaviour, that it took me
    > forever to get used the the Fx behaviour . . . but, now that I'm used to
    > it, I'm not sure I'd want to be without it.
    >
    > + K (^k) will put the cursor into the search field, just as
    > + L (^l) does for the URL bar. What I've come to appreciate
    > about the way it's been set up in Fx is that I can customise the search
    > engines I use and use + [ | ] to select
    > which one to use. It's actually quite handy, once you get used to it. .
    > . .
    >
    > /b.

    In addition one can not search for anything that contains a period (.)
    using the location bar.

    --
    Irwin

  5. Re: Google search from URL field?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _John Smith_ spoke thusly on 18/01/2007 12:55 AM:
    >> Is there any way to persuade FF to perform the Google search from the
    >> URL field on the top of the browser, the same way as it is working in
    >> Mozilla?
    >>
    >> The Mozilla's behavior is very useful, one just types the search
    >> string in the URL field and presses the ARROW DOWN key, and the
    >> request is sent to Google.
    >>
    >> Such overloading of the URL field is (in my experience) more
    >> natural/intuitive than the current FF behavior where one has to click
    >> into the short Google search field in the top right corner of the
    >> browser window. This is probably due to the two factors: (1) the URL
    >> field is larger and scales proportionally to the with of the browser
    >> window (as opposite to the search field that is fixed and very short
    >> length, frequently too short to see the whole quoted phrase being
    >> sought for); and (2) the URL field is in the left-vs-right center of
    >> the browser, and it is much easier target to hit than the search field.
    >>
    >> Is this possible to achieve, perhaps using some chrome setting or
    >> maybe some extension?

    > Which version are you using? If it's Firefox to, simply entering text
    > into the address bar and pressing will trigger a Google search.

    I have FF 2.0.0.1 on my Laptop machine. It has separate URL Bar (window)
    and separate Google Bar/window. typing just the tern to look up on
    Google in the URL window does nothing but return an error message.

  6. Re: Google search from URL field?

    "Phillip M. Jones,
    > I have FF 2.0.0.1 on my Laptop machine. It has separate URL Bar (window)
    > and separate Google Bar/window. typing just the tern to look up on
    > Google in the URL window does nothing but return an error message.

    So does mine, and I have it that way on purpose,
    with keyword.enabled set to False,
    so that no accidental searches will launch from
    the location bar.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...tm#nodedefault

    Would suggest that the Firefox search bar be moved with
    customize to the Menu bar, then both location bar (Ctrl+L),
    and search bar (Ctrl+K or F6 for top) will expand in Fx2.

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  7. Re: Google search from URL field?

    "Irwin Greenwald"
    > In addition one can not search for anything that contains a period (.)
    > using the location bar.

    Not entirely true, I can use a keyword shortcut that
    I've assigned a bookmark location of

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=gr...=en&num=100&%s

    and a keyword of ggff:

    and use ggff: author:irwin.greenwald
    which would do a google groups search on groups for
    articles that you authored. It's easier to use a period
    than putting your name within double quotes or using
    author: author: (humor).

    Firefox Keyword Shortcuts
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm

  8. Re: Google search from URL field?

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > Which version are you using? If it's Firefox to, simply entering text
    > into the address bar and pressing will trigger a Google search.

    Version is 1.5.0.9 for MS windows.
    And no, your suggestion does not work, I just checked it moment ago. :-(
    As I remember, that behaviour is here since at least pre 1.5 versions.

    --John

  9. Re: Google search from URL field?

    "John Smith" wrote in message
    news:3fmdnQhKgeklljLYnZ2dnUVZ_s6onZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Is there any way to persuade FF to perform the Google search from the URL
    > field on the top of the browser, the same way as it is working in Mozilla?

    use the keyword search feature in Fx
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/List_of_keyword_searches
    --
    How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
    What kind of god would allow that?

  10. Re: Google search from URL field?

    eisneun wrote:
    > use the keyword search feature in Fx
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/List_of_keyword_searches

    Thanks!
    What a cool feature: almost like Mozilla's behavior (i.e. only a minimal
    change of existing habit is necessary) but is so much more
    powerful/extensible. I think that solves my initial problem.

    Thanks again!
    John

  11. Re: Google search from URL field?

    _Irwin Greenwald_ spoke thusly on 18/01/2007 5:10 PM:
    > In addition one can not search for anything that contains a period (.)
    > using the location bar.

    Are you referring to Firefox or SeaMonkey? I just tested this in a new
    profile (Fx2.0.0.1/WinXP), and all works well:

    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  12. Re: Google search from URL field?

    _John Smith_ spoke thusly on 18/01/2007 9:04 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> Which version are you using? If it's Firefox to, simply entering text
    >> into the address bar and pressing will trigger a Google search.

    > Version is 1.5.0.9 for MS windows.
    > And no, your suggestion does not work, I just checked it moment ago. :-(
    > As I remember, that behaviour is here since at least pre 1.5 versions.

    This is how it works in Firefox2:

    Feel free to upgrade. :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  13. Re: Google search from URL field?

    On 1/18/2007 11:00 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Irwin Greenwald_ spoke thusly on 18/01/2007 5:10 PM:
    >> In addition one can not search for anything that contains a period (.)
    >> using the location bar.

    > Are you referring to Firefox or SeaMonkey? I just tested this in a new
    > profile (Fx2.0.0.1/WinXP), and all works well:

    I see that it has improved in FF. A search with an embedded period such
    as irwin.greenwald fails; if there is additional text such as
    "irwin.greenwald text" (without the quotes) it works. So my original
    statement is only partially true in FF 2.0.0.1

    --
    Irwin

  14. Re: Google search from URL field?

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 1/18/2007 11:00 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Irwin Greenwald_ spoke thusly on 18/01/2007 5:10 PM:
    >>> In addition one can not search for anything that contains a
    >>> period (.) using the location bar.

    >> Are you referring to Firefox or SeaMonkey? I just tested this in a
    >> new profile (Fx2.0.0.1/WinXP), and all works well:
    >>

    > I see that it has improved in FF. A search with an embedded period
    > such as irwin.greenwald fails; if there is additional text such as
    > "irwin.greenwald text" (without the quotes) it works. So my original
    > statement is only partially true in FF 2.0.0.1

    don't know about FF 2.0.0.1 , but seems to me like almost true in
    Minefield . take
    name of any preference of FF as example

  15. Re: Google search from URL field?

    "Irwin Greenwald" wrote
    > I see that it has improved in FF. A search with an embedded period such
    > as irwin.greenwald fails; if there is additional text such as
    > "irwin.greenwald text" (without the quotes) it works. So my original
    > statement is only partially true in FF 2.0.0.1

    Works on any version of Firefox, in fact I created my http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
    on June 5, 2005. There were problems with fragment-id
    which was fixed, no problems involving periods that I know of.
    I am talking only about searches directed to Google, from
    the builtin Firefox seachbar, or at the Google pages.

  16. Re: Google search from URL field?

    On 1/19/2007 12:01 PM, Nir wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> On 1/18/2007 11:00 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _Irwin Greenwald_ spoke thusly on 18/01/2007 5:10 PM:
    >>>
    >>> Are you referring to Firefox or SeaMonkey? I just tested this in a
    >>> new profile (Fx2.0.0.1/WinXP), and all works well:
    >>>

    >> I see that it has improved in FF. A search with an embedded period
    >> such as irwin.greenwald fails; if there is additional text such as
    >> "irwin.greenwald text" (without the quotes) it works. So my original
    >> statement is only partially true in FF 2.0.0.1
    >>

    > don't know about FF 2.0.0.1 , but seems to me like almost true in
    > Minefield . take
    > name of any preference of FF as example

    Using Minefield 3.0a1. Seems to work like FF2.0.0.1. When I feed it
    the name of a preference (from about:config) it produces a "server not
    found" error.

    --
    Irwin

  17. Re: Google search from URL field?

    and specifically keyword shortcuts from the
    location bar with the periods. (that was the
    whole point of the reply, and most of the
    webpage).

  18. Re: Google search from URL field?

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 1/19/2007 12:01 PM, Nir wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> I see that it has improved in FF. A search with an embedded
    >>> period such as irwin.greenwald fails; if there is additional text
    >>> such as "irwin.greenwald text" (without the quotes) it works. So
    >>> my original statement is only partially true in FF 2.0.0.1
    >>>

    >> don't know about FF 2.0.0.1 , but seems to me like almost true in
    >> Minefield . take name of any preference of FF as example

    > Using Minefield 3.0a1. Seems to work like FF2.0.0.1. When I feed it
    > the name of a preference (from about:config) it produces a "server
    > not found" error.

    I always got same result with pref name ( just like you "server not
    found" ) . probably i was unable to clearly mention my
    findings in previous post

  19. Re: Google search from URL field?

    _Irwin Greenwald_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 2:56 PM:
    > I see that it has improved in FF. A search with an embedded period such
    > as irwin.greenwald fails; if there is additional text such as
    > "irwin.greenwald text" (without the quotes) it works. So my original
    > statement is only partially true in FF 2.0.0.1

    Yup. Looks like this:
    - single word will trigger a Google I'm Feeling Lucky search.
    - a series of characters, with at least a period and no space, will be
    treated like a domain name.
    - a series of characters, with at least a space between between two
    characters that are not spaces, will trigger a Google search