Windows validation tool - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Windows validation tool - Mozilla ; I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to download to my computer. Can anyone help? Cynthia Dagnal Myron...

  1. Windows validation tool

    I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to download to my computer. Can anyone help?

    Cynthia Dagnal Myron

  2. Re: Windows validation tool

    Cynthia Dagnal Myron wrote, on 1/16/2007 3:13 PM:
    > I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to download
    > to my computer. Can anyone help?

    The validation process/program needs IE.

    1. Use IE Tab
    2. If this is for Windows Updates, you could try http://windizupdate.com/

  3. Re: Windows validation tool

    Cynthia Dagnal Myron wrote:
    > I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to download
    > to my computer. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Cynthia Dagnal Myron

    I don't know what you call the "Windows" validation tool, but I'm using the
    "HTML Validator" extension here on Linux, and I've used it before, when I was
    on Windows. I think it is on addons.mozilla.org but in any case its homepage
    is http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ . I am very happy with it.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  4. Re: Windows validation tool

    On 17/01/2007 03:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tony
    Mechelynck to generate the following:? :
    > Cynthia Dagnal Myron wrote:
    >
    >> I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to download
    >> to my computer. Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> Cynthia Dagnal Myron
    >>

    > I don't know what you call the "Windows" validation tool, but I'm using the
    > "HTML Validator" extension here on Linux, and I've used it before, when I was
    > on Windows. I think it is on addons.mozilla.org but in any case its homepage
    > is http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ . I am very happy with it.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Cynthia probably means the Windows OS-legality tester... now-a-days,
    before you can install any new bit to Windaft, it runs a validity check
    on your installed version (and dumps a one-time *,dll) to see if you are
    a software-pirate.

    reg

  5. Re: Windows validation tool

    > Cynthia Dagnal Myron wrote:
    >> I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to
    >> download to my computer. Can anyone help?

    You should be able to gett it to work on FF. Have you tried in using Intenet
    Explorer? (does it actually fail validation?)

    What version of windows are you using?

    You should also be able to go to www.windowsupdate.com anmd
    download the latest updates with FF. What message do you get?

  6. Re: Windows validation tool

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 17/01/2007 03:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tony
    > Mechelynck to generate the following:? :
    >> Cynthia Dagnal Myron wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to
    >>> download to my computer. Can anyone help?
    >>>
    >>> Cynthia Dagnal Myron
    >>>

    >> I don't know what you call the "Windows" validation tool, but I'm
    >> using the "HTML Validator" extension here on Linux, and I've used it
    >> before, when I was on Windows. I think it is on addons.mozilla.org but
    >> in any case its homepage is http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ .
    >> I am very happy with it.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.
    >>

    > Cynthia probably means the Windows OS-legality tester... now-a-days,
    > before you can install any new bit to Windaft, it runs a validity check
    > on your installed version (and dumps a one-time *,dll) to see if you are
    > a software-pirate.
    >
    > reg

    Hmm. All this newfangled running around in circles and jumping through hoops
    makes me believe that by switching to Linux I did the right thing; but this is
    beside the point. How could downloading some open software like Firefox make
    one a software pirate? There are things in this win-dough-for-Bill-Gates thing
    that I'll never understand.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  7. Re: Windows validation tool

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 17/01/2007 03:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tony
    >> Mechelynck to generate the following:? :

    >>> I don't know what you call the "Windows" validation tool, but I'm
    >>> using the "HTML Validator" extension here on Linux, and I've used it
    >>> before, when I was on Windows. I think it is on addons.mozilla.org
    >>> but in any case its homepage is
    >>> http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ . I am very happy with it.
    >>>

    >>> Best regards,
    >>> Tony.
    >>>

    >> Cynthia probably means the Windows OS-legality tester... now-a-days,
    >> before you can install any new bit to Windaft, it runs a validity
    >> check on your installed version (and dumps a one-time *,dll) to see
    >> if you are a software-pirate.
    >>
    >> reg

    > Hmm. All this newfangled running around in circles and jumping
    > through hoops makes me believe that by switching to Linux I did the
    > right thing; but this is beside the point. How could downloading some
    > open software like Firefox make one a software pirate? There are
    > things in this win-dough-for-Bill-Gates thing that I'll never
    > understand.

    It doesn't (now) not with FF2.

    Some pages at M$ still don't display properly :-) thanks Bill!

  8. Re: Windows validation tool

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 17/01/2007 03:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tony
    >> Mechelynck to generate the following:? :

    >>> I don't know what you call the "Windows" validation tool, but I'm
    >>> using the "HTML Validator" extension here on Linux, and I've used it
    >>> before, when I was on Windows. I think it is on addons.mozilla.org
    >>> but in any case its homepage is
    >>> http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ . I am very happy with it.

    >> Cynthia probably means the Windows OS-legality tester... now-a-days,
    >> before you can install any new bit to Windaft, it runs a validity
    >> check on your installed version (and dumps a one-time *,dll) to see if
    >> you are a software-pirate.

    > Hmm. All this newfangled running around in circles and jumping through
    > hoops makes me believe that by switching to Linux I did the right thing;
    > but this is beside the point. How could downloading some open software
    > like Firefox make one a software pirate? There are things in this
    > win-dough-for-Bill-Gates thing that I'll never understand.

    I just had this discussion in another NG. Free(ware) and freely
    distributable are not synonymous. Take this freeware offering from AOL/KL:

    Active Virus Shield - free for personal use, read the EULA*

    http://www.activevirusshield.com/ant...eav/index.adp?

    Downloading AVS from anywhere but AVS, and/or getting the (free)
    license/activation code from anyone but AOL, violates the TOS and
    EULA, and is tantamount to software piracy even though it is freeware.

    Take this freeware offering from Microsoft (aren't they sweet):

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx
    Short Version: http://tinyurl.com/6g675

    I ordered it a while back (got it the next day), and on the jacket it
    says,

    "Share this CD with a friend!

    After you have installed Service Pack 2,
    you can give this CD to a friend or family
    member using Windows XP."

    What a great bunch of guys! [bg]

    *BTW, if you want to download and install AVS, do _not_ install the
    AOL security toolbar. Many people consider it to be spyware/adware.
    YMMV. Without the AOL security toolbar, AVS is a stripped down version
    of KAV 6.0.0.303 (no PDM, no Web AV, less customization) with a green
    AOL skin. Identical KAV engines and signatures.

    Ron

  9. Re: Windows validation tool

    jasee wrote, on 1/17/2007 3:46 AM:
    >> Cynthia Dagnal Myron wrote:
    >>> I can't get the windows validation tool software for Firefox to
    >>> download to my computer. Can anyone help?

    > You should be able to gett it to work on FF. Have you tried in using Intenet
    > Explorer? (does it actually fail validation?)
    >
    > What version of windows are you using?
    >
    > You should also be able to go to www.windowsupdate.com anmd
    > download the latest updates with FF. What message do you get?

    I beg to differ. Windows Update requires the installation of an ActiveX
    component - and needless to say, FF doesn't allow ActiveX installs and
    therefore WindowsUpdate.com does NOT work in FF.

    Below is the exact text that appears if you try to access
    http://www.windowsupdate.com from a browser other than IE:
    > Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
    >
    > To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.
    >
    > To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.
    >
    > If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:
    >
    > 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    > 2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
    > * Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
    > * Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
    > 3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

    I believe it's possible to use FF at windowsupdate.com if you use the IE
    Tab extension.

    You can also get limited ActiveX functionality in FF by installing an
    extension. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/ActiveX

  10. Re: Windows validation tool

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > jasee wrote, on 1/17/2007 3:46 AM:

    At the top of the page there is a button marked 'Download the plugin-in' you
    are pushing that?
    There's a lot of instructions & graphics on the page which may be confusing.
    After installing it from FF, close all open windows before going back to Ms
    If you still can't get it to download, then try the allternative download
    method which is mentioned at the bottom of the page.

    >> You should also be able to go to www.windowsupdate.com anmd
    >> download the latest updates with FF. What message do you get?

    > I beg to differ. Windows Update requires the installation of an
    > ActiveX component - and needless to say, FF doesn't allow ActiveX
    > installs and therefore WindowsUpdate.com does NOT work in FF.
    >
    > Below is the exact text that appears if you try to access
    > http://www.windowsupdate.com from a browser other than IE:
    >> Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
    >>
    >> To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5
    >> or later. To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the
    >> Internet
    >> Explorer Downloads website. If you prefer to use a different web browser,
    >> you can obtain updates
    >> from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with
    >> the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates.
    >> To turn on Automatic Updates: 1. Click Start, and then click Control
    >> Panel.
    >> 2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or
    >> Category, do one of the following: * Click System, and then click the
    >> Automatic Updates tab.
    >> * Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and
    >> then click the Automatic Updates tab. 3. Click the option that you want.
    >> Make sure Automatic Updates is
    >> not turned off.

    That is the way to ensure you get updates without having to go to windows
    update. In particular for those who's version fails verification for some
    reason or other (mabe a pirate version) they will still get the updates

    > I believe it's possible to use FF at windowsupdate.com if you use the
    > IE Tab extension.

    Yes. (sorry) that's my mistake, there's an option in ie tab to automatically
    switch the rendering engine for some sites and this had been set for windows
    update (either by me or ietab default settings) and so this was happening
    automatically for that site.

    > You can also get limited ActiveX functionality in FF by installing an
    > extension. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/ActiveX

    I haven't installed the active X extension.
    However Firefox still will use some active-x applications like the
    citrix.ica client without installing this extension.
    The exact situation with firefox and active-x is not clear to me.
    "Firefox by default does not generally support active-x applications" is my
    reading of the situation

+ Reply to Thread