http-equiv expires - Mozilla

This is a discussion on http-equiv expires - Mozilla ; Hi, I've gone to quite a bit of trouble to set up a web site which controls the expiry date of it's pages using http-equiv expires. Everything works under IE, but discovered that Netscape isn't caching the pages. The pages ...

  1. http-equiv expires

    Hi,

    I've gone to quite a bit of trouble to set up a web site which controls the
    expiry date of it's pages using http-equiv expires.

    Everything works under IE, but discovered that Netscape isn't caching the
    pages. The pages get a clean bill of health from the w3c HTML validator, so
    I think they are formulates correctly.

    Does anybody know what the problem is? I've pasted an example below. It
    caches perfectly under IE.

    Regards

    Duncan

    Matches Included In The Points Calculation

    Back

    DateTypeCompetitionHomeAway
    href="rpt_MatchReport.htm?match_no=1&home_name=ENGLAND&away_name=AUSTRALIA">
    11/01/2007
    FC 1 ENGLAND AUSTRALIA

    Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:39:40 GMT

  2. Re: http-equiv expires

    On 16.01.2007 12:43, Duncan Garland wrote:

    > I've gone to quite a bit of trouble to set up a web site which controls the
    > expiry date of it's pages using http-equiv expires.
    >
    > Everything works under IE, but discovered that Netscape isn't caching the
    > pages. The pages get a clean bill of health from the w3c HTML validator, so
    > I think they are formulates correctly.
    >
    > Does anybody know what the problem is? I've pasted an example below. It
    > caches perfectly under IE.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Duncan
    >

    > > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    Matches Included In The Points Calculation

    > Back

    DateTypeCompetitionHomeAway
    > href="rpt_MatchReport.htm?match_no=1&home_name=ENGLAND&away_name=AUSTRALIA">
    > 11/01/2007
    FC1ENGLANDAUSTRALIA

    Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:39:40 GMT

    HTTP 1.1 (RFC 2068) specifies that all HTTP date/time stamps MUST be
    generated in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and in RFC 1123 format.
    RFC 1123 format = wkday "," SP date SP time SP "GMT"

    wkday = (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun)
    date = 2DIGIT SP month SP 4DIGIT ; day month year (e.g., 02 Jun 1982)
    time = 2DIGIT ":" 2DIGIT ":" 2DIGIT ; 00:00:00 - 23:59:59
    month = (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec)

    Looks like you have it correct, dunno why it doesn't work tho.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  3. Re: http-equiv expires

    Duncan Garland wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've gone to quite a bit of trouble to set up a web site which controls the
    > expiry date of it's pages using http-equiv expires.
    >
    > Everything works under IE, but discovered that Netscape isn't caching the
    > pages. The pages get a clean bill of health from the w3c HTML validator, so
    > I think they are formulates correctly.
    >
    > Does anybody know what the problem is? I've pasted an example below. It
    > caches perfectly under IE.

    [snip]

    You expect people to copy/paste your code into a new doc, save it, then
    upload it to their Web server to test it for you? Well, hell, ok, for
    what it's worth: http://edmullen.net/temp/duncan.html

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html

    See Section 7.4.4 ...

    "User agents are not required to support meta data mechanisms. For those
    that choose to support meta data, this specification does not define how
    meta data should be interpreted."

    I have no idea if or how Mozilla-based browsers handle the http-equiv
    element, however, using "Live http Headers" and loading the page from my
    Web server results in this:

    http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/temp/duncan.html

    GET /temp/duncan.html HTTP/1.1
    Host: ed.mullen.home.comcast.net
    Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
    Connection: close
    Cookie: RMFD=011H6s7RO104zpj; RMID=43bff69f44e1c070;
    RMFW=011H5Xnc7104uwf;
    NXCLICK2=011GwA4tNX_comcast.net/thefan!y!M!4zIS!5HuQ!M3!4zIS!5HuP
    If-Modified-Since: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:18:54 GMT
    If-None-Match: "312f74e6-12-353-45ae92be"
    Cache-Control: max-age=0

    HTTP/1.x 304 Use local copy
    Server: Netscape-Enterprise/4.1
    Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:29:16 GMT
    Connection: close

    So, I think that means that SeaMonkey IS reading the meta tag.

    I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish here. What if I
    (or another user) has their cache turned off?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  4. Re: http-equiv expires

    On 17/01/2007 22:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    generate the following:? :
    > Duncan Garland wrote:

    <>
    > I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish here. What if I
    > (or another user) has their cache turned off?

    Then, Ed, the devs would realize that the cache is a waste of time, as
    *NO-ONE* uses it, and then (see original thread in dev-group *lol* )
    remove it from Moz-products!

    And that would be *YOUR FAULT* (again) :-P :-P :-P

    reg

  5. Re: http-equiv expires

    On 17.01.2007 15:44, squaredancer wrote:

    > On 17/01/2007 22:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Duncan Garland wrote:
    >>

    > <>
    >> I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish here. What if I
    >> (or another user) has their cache turned off?
    >>

    > Then, Ed, the devs would realize that the cache is a waste of time, as
    > *NO-ONE* uses it, and then (see original thread in dev-group *lol* )
    > remove it from Moz-products!
    >
    > And that would be *YOUR FAULT* (again) :-P :-P :-P
    >
    > reg

    Waddaya mean nobody uses it. Ask those DIALUP users that have 56k
    connections at best.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org