throbber - Mozilla

This is a discussion on throbber - Mozilla ; How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in FF 2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: throbber

  1. throbber

    How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my
    throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in FF
    2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.

    browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred page but
    the throbber click-link no longer works.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    A bird in the hand makes it difficult to blow your nose.

  2. Re: throbber


    "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my throbber
    > to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in FF 2.x. I think
    > I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >
    > browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred page but
    > the throbber click-link no longer works.


    use the throbber button extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/

    --
    How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
    What kind of god would allow that?



  3. Re: throbber

    eisneun wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    > news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my throbber
    >> to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in FF 2.x. I think
    >> I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>
    >> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred page but
    >> the throbber click-link no longer works.

    >
    > use the throbber button extension:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    > a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >


    Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the throbber
    link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use FF for
    testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end regarding
    throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some other
    less-than-profound metaphor.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    A good scapegoat is almost as good as a solution.

  4. Re: throbber

    On 16/01/2007 04:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    generate the following:? :
    > eisneun wrote:
    >
    >> "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    >> news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>
    >>> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my throbber
    >>> to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in FF 2.x. I think
    >>> I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>>
    >>> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred page but
    >>> the throbber click-link no longer works.
    >>>

    >> use the throbber button extension:
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    >> a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the throbber
    > link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use FF for
    > testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end regarding
    > throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some other
    > less-than-profound metaphor.
    >
    >

    this "feature" (ummm-errr) has been taken OFF of the FF2 UI - there have
    been (as you noticed) several (not to say "many") complaints about this
    but, so the experts' replied, it was removed because according to the
    "we know what's best for you" developers "nobody used/wanted it"!

    So accept the fact that YOU are to blame..... :-P

    reg

  5. Re: throbber

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 16/01/2007 04:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> eisneun wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    >>> news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>
    >>>> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my
    >>>> throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in FF
    >>>> 2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>>>
    >>>> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred page
    >>>> but the throbber click-link no longer works.
    >>>>
    >>> use the throbber button extension:
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    >>> a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the
    >> throbber link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use FF
    >> for testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end regarding
    >> throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some other
    >> less-than-profound metaphor.
    >>
    >>

    > this "feature" (ummm-errr) has been taken OFF of the FF2 UI - there have
    > been (as you noticed) several (not to say "many") complaints about this
    > but, so the experts' replied, it was removed because according to the
    > "we know what's best for you" developers "nobody used/wanted it"!
    >
    > So accept the fact that YOU are to blame..... :-P
    >
    > reg


    No problem accepting the blame, I do it all the time at home!

    FYI, this is a fairly interesting read:

    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    If you can read this, I can slam on my brakes and sue you.

  6. Re: throbber

    On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 16/01/2007 04:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> eisneun wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    >>>> news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my
    >>>>> throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in FF
    >>>>> 2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred page
    >>>>> but the throbber click-link no longer works.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> use the throbber button extension:
    >>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    >>>> a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    >>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the
    >>> throbber link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use FF
    >>> for testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end regarding
    >>> throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some other
    >>> less-than-profound metaphor.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> this "feature" (ummm-errr) has been taken OFF of the FF2 UI - there have
    >> been (as you noticed) several (not to say "many") complaints about this
    >> but, so the experts' replied, it was removed because according to the
    >> "we know what's best for you" developers "nobody used/wanted it"!
    >>
    >> So accept the fact that YOU are to blame..... :-P
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    >
    > No problem accepting the blame, I do it all the time at home!
    >
    > FYI, this is a fairly interesting read:
    >
    > https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601
    >
    >

    oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....

    two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    QUOTE
    Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST

    As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really good
    reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major browser
    seems
    to do this anymore either.

    Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST

    The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to another
    page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from Netscape.

    UNQUOTE

    so - because "no other major browser...." and
    because "not sure how useful that is...."

    it has to go!

    Assholes are useful!

    reg

  7. Re: throbber

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 16/01/2007 04:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>
    >>>> eisneun wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    >>>>> news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my
    >>>>>> throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in
    >>>>>> FF 2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred
    >>>>>> page but the throbber click-link no longer works.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> use the throbber button extension:
    >>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    >>>>> a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    >>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the
    >>>> throbber link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use
    >>>> FF for testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end
    >>>> regarding throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some
    >>>> other less-than-profound metaphor.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> this "feature" (ummm-errr) has been taken OFF of the FF2 UI - there
    >>> have been (as you noticed) several (not to say "many") complaints
    >>> about this but, so the experts' replied, it was removed because
    >>> according to the "we know what's best for you" developers "nobody
    >>> used/wanted it"!
    >>>
    >>> So accept the fact that YOU are to blame..... :-P
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >>
    >> No problem accepting the blame, I do it all the time at home!
    >>
    >> FYI, this is a fairly interesting read:
    >>
    >> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601
    >>
    >>

    > oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....
    >
    > two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    > QUOTE
    > Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST
    >
    > As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really good
    > reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major browser
    > seems
    > to do this anymore either.
    >
    > Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST
    >
    > The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to another
    > page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from Netscape.
    >
    > UNQUOTE
    >
    > so - because "no other major browser...." and
    > because "not sure how useful that is...."
    >
    > it has to go!
    >
    > Assholes are useful!
    >
    > reg


    Well, um, YEAH! And not to mention that they totally ignored IBM (you
    did catch that Mike Kaply is from IBM, eh?) which has a fairly
    widespread internal distribution of a customized Firefox, and numerous
    corporate-specific extensions, AND is an active open-source participant.
    And IBM has long had strong internal support for Mozilla (going back
    to Netscape days). Dumb, just dumb. As one of the posts in that bug
    alluded, surely the devs had something more important they could have
    spent their coding and discussion time on. Good grief. *Stop the
    madness!!!* :-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

  8. [OT]Re: throbber

    On 1/16/2007 8:14 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> squaredancer wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 16/01/2007 04:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>>
    >>>>> eisneun wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    >>>>>> news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my
    >>>>>>> throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works in
    >>>>>>> FF 2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred
    >>>>>>> page but the throbber click-link no longer works.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> use the throbber button extension:
    >>>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    >>>>>> a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    >>>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the
    >>>>> throbber link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use
    >>>>> FF for testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end
    >>>>> regarding throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some
    >>>>> other less-than-profound metaphor.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> this "feature" (ummm-errr) has been taken OFF of the FF2 UI - there
    >>>> have been (as you noticed) several (not to say "many") complaints
    >>>> about this but, so the experts' replied, it was removed because
    >>>> according to the "we know what's best for you" developers "nobody
    >>>> used/wanted it"!
    >>>>
    >>>> So accept the fact that YOU are to blame..... :-P
    >>>>
    >>>> reg
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> No problem accepting the blame, I do it all the time at home!
    >>>
    >>> FYI, this is a fairly interesting read:
    >>>
    >>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601
    >>>
    >>>

    >> oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....
    >>
    >> two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    >> QUOTE
    >> Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST
    >>
    >> As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really good
    >> reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major
    >> browser seems
    >> to do this anymore either.
    >>
    >> Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST
    >>
    >> The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to
    >> another
    >> page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from Netscape.
    >>
    >> UNQUOTE
    >>
    >> so - because "no other major browser...." and
    >> because "not sure how useful that is...."
    >>
    >> it has to go!
    >>
    >> Assholes are useful!
    >>
    >> reg

    >
    > Well, um, YEAH! And not to mention that they totally ignored IBM (you
    > did catch that Mike Kaply is from IBM, eh?) which has a fairly
    > widespread internal distribution of a customized Firefox, and numerous
    > corporate-specific extensions, AND is an active open-source participant.
    > And IBM has long had strong internal support for Mozilla (going back to
    > Netscape days). Dumb, just dumb. As one of the posts in that bug
    > alluded, surely the devs had something more important they could have
    > spent their coding and discussion time on. Good grief. *Stop the
    > madness!!!* :-)
    >


    Ah, the Marketeer in you is showing again

    --
    Irwin

    Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.

    Knowledge Base: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

  9. Re: [OT]Re: throbber

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 1/16/2007 8:14 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>> On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>> squaredancer wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 16/01/2007 04:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>>>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> eisneun wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    >>>>>>> news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my
    >>>>>>>> throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works
    >>>>>>>> in FF 2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred
    >>>>>>>> page but the throbber click-link no longer works.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> use the throbber button extension:
    >>>>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    >>>>>>> a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    >>>>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the
    >>>>>> throbber link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use
    >>>>>> FF for testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end
    >>>>>> regarding throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some
    >>>>>> other less-than-profound metaphor.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> this "feature" (ummm-errr) has been taken OFF of the FF2 UI - there
    >>>>> have been (as you noticed) several (not to say "many") complaints
    >>>>> about this but, so the experts' replied, it was removed because
    >>>>> according to the "we know what's best for you" developers "nobody
    >>>>> used/wanted it"!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So accept the fact that YOU are to blame..... :-P
    >>>>>
    >>>>> reg
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> No problem accepting the blame, I do it all the time at home!
    >>>>
    >>>> FYI, this is a fairly interesting read:
    >>>>
    >>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....
    >>>
    >>> two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    >>> QUOTE
    >>> Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST
    >>>
    >>> As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really
    >>> good
    >>> reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major
    >>> browser seems
    >>> to do this anymore either.
    >>>
    >>> Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST
    >>>
    >>> The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to
    >>> another
    >>> page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from
    >>> Netscape.
    >>>
    >>> UNQUOTE
    >>>
    >>> so - because "no other major browser...." and
    >>> because "not sure how useful that is...."
    >>>
    >>> it has to go!
    >>>
    >>> Assholes are useful!
    >>>
    >>> reg

    >>
    >> Well, um, YEAH! And not to mention that they totally ignored IBM (you
    >> did catch that Mike Kaply is from IBM, eh?) which has a fairly
    >> widespread internal distribution of a customized Firefox, and numerous
    >> corporate-specific extensions, AND is an active open-source
    >> participant. And IBM has long had strong internal support for Mozilla
    >> (going back to Netscape days). Dumb, just dumb. As one of the posts
    >> in that bug alluded, surely the devs had something more important they
    >> could have spent their coding and discussion time on. Good grief.
    >> *Stop the madness!!!* :-)
    >>

    >
    > Ah, the Marketeer in you is showing again
    >


    It's an illness. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    If 7-11 stores are open 24 hours/7-days a week, why do they have locks
    on the front door?

  10. Re: throbber

    _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 16/01/2007 11:14 PM:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601

    >>
    >> oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....
    >>
    >> two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    >> QUOTE
    >> Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST
    >>
    >> As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really good
    >> reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major
    >> browser seems
    >> to do this anymore either.
    >>
    >> Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST
    >>
    >> The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to
    >> another
    >> page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from Netscape.
    >>
    >> UNQUOTE
    >>
    >> so - because "no other major browser...." and
    >> because "not sure how useful that is...."
    >>
    >> it has to go!

    >
    > Well, um, YEAH! And not to mention that they totally ignored IBM (you
    > did catch that Mike Kaply is from IBM, eh?) which has a fairly
    > widespread internal distribution of a customized Firefox, and numerous
    > corporate-specific extensions, AND is an active open-source participant.
    > And IBM has long had strong internal support for Mozilla (going back to
    > Netscape days). Dumb, just dumb. As one of the posts in that bug
    > alluded, surely the devs had something more important they could have
    > spent their coding and discussion time on. Good grief. *Stop the
    > madness!!!* :-)


    There are a number of things wrong with your argument:

    1. Mike Beltzner (the quote that says "I say we toss it") also has an
    affiliation with IBM.

    2. If one person from IBM has a concern about one bug, that does not
    represent Mozilla's relationship with all of IBM.

    3. Mike Kaply was not ignored. If you read the rest of the comments,
    you'll see that his concern was considered, and it was determined that
    CCK users should implement it via extension.

    4. Mozilla is not a politician trying to please those who fund its
    campaign. Just because one person from IBM states one concern, does that
    mean everyone else should be ignored?

    Instead of insulting and cursing arbitrary devs, behind their back, how
    about answering the question they asked: Why should the throbber link
    anywhere? In Firefox, the throbber is not a Firefox logo; it's just an
    activity indicator. Why should an activity indicator link anywhere? If
    you read the discussion in m.d.a.firefox (linked in the bug), you'll see
    that I agreed with the removal. As I said, if it were a Firefox logo, I
    could understand linking it. If it's not a logo, I would rather turn it
    into a stop button.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  11. Re: throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > As I said, if it were a Firefox logo, I
    > could understand linking it. If it's not a logo, I would rather turn it
    > into a stop button.


    I think it should be left up to the individual user on what his/her
    throbber does.

    --
    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  12. Re: throbber

    _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2007 2:27 AM:
    > I think it should be left up to the individual user on what his/her
    > throbber does.


    That's noble of you. I think it should be up to the user what the Back,
    Forward, and Stop buttons do. :-P
    --
    Chris Ilias
    List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  13. Re: [OT]Re: throbber

    On 17/01/2007 05:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    generate the following:? :
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/16/2007 8:14 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>
    >>> squaredancer wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>>
    >>>>> squaredancer wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On 16/01/2007 04:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>>>>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> eisneun wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    >>>>>>>> news:446dnQU8opZ1pDHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> How does one re-enable the throbber link? That is, I had set my
    >>>>>>>>> throbber to take me to a page of my choosing. No longer works
    >>>>>>>>> in FF 2.x. I think I've seen it here before but couldn't find it.
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> browser.throbber.url is still set in my profile to my preferred
    >>>>>>>>> page but the throbber click-link no longer works.
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> use the throbber button extension:
    >>>>>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2821/
    >>>>>>>> a throbber url setting is also available in MR Tech Local Install:
    >>>>>>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Much appreciate the reply. So, there is no way to re-enable the
    >>>>>>> throbber link except using an extension? Just curious, I only use
    >>>>>>> FF for testing. SeaMonkey still hasn't gone off the deep end
    >>>>>>> regarding throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or, uh, some
    >>>>>>> other less-than-profound metaphor.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> this "feature" (ummm-errr) has been taken OFF of the FF2 UI - there
    >>>>>> have been (as you noticed) several (not to say "many") complaints
    >>>>>> about this but, so the experts' replied, it was removed because
    >>>>>> according to the "we know what's best for you" developers "nobody
    >>>>>> used/wanted it"!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> So accept the fact that YOU are to blame..... :-P
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> reg
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> No problem accepting the blame, I do it all the time at home!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> FYI, this is a fairly interesting read:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....
    >>>>
    >>>> two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    >>>> QUOTE
    >>>> Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST
    >>>>
    >>>> As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really
    >>>> good
    >>>> reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major
    >>>> browser seems
    >>>> to do this anymore either.
    >>>>
    >>>> Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST
    >>>>
    >>>> The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to
    >>>> another
    >>>> page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from
    >>>> Netscape.
    >>>>
    >>>> UNQUOTE
    >>>>
    >>>> so - because "no other major browser...." and
    >>>> because "not sure how useful that is...."
    >>>>
    >>>> it has to go!
    >>>>
    >>>> Assholes are useful!
    >>>>
    >>>> reg
    >>>>
    >>> Well, um, YEAH! And not to mention that they totally ignored IBM (you
    >>> did catch that Mike Kaply is from IBM, eh?) which has a fairly
    >>> widespread internal distribution of a customized Firefox, and numerous
    >>> corporate-specific extensions, AND is an active open-source
    >>> participant. And IBM has long had strong internal support for Mozilla
    >>> (going back to Netscape days). Dumb, just dumb. As one of the posts
    >>> in that bug alluded, surely the devs had something more important they
    >>> could have spent their coding and discussion time on. Good grief.
    >>> *Stop the madness!!!* :-)
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Ah, the Marketeer in you is showing again
    >>
    >>

    >
    > It's an illness. ;-)
    >
    >

    possibly bought on by canadian Whisky ??

    reg

  14. Re: throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 16/01/2007 11:14 PM:
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>> On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>
    >>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601
    >>> oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....
    >>>
    >>> two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    >>> QUOTE
    >>> Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST
    >>>
    >>> As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really
    >>> good
    >>> reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major
    >>> browser seems
    >>> to do this anymore either.
    >>>
    >>> Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST
    >>>
    >>> The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to
    >>> another
    >>> page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from
    >>> Netscape.
    >>>
    >>> UNQUOTE
    >>>
    >>> so - because "no other major browser...." and
    >>> because "not sure how useful that is...."
    >>>
    >>> it has to go!

    >>
    >> Well, um, YEAH! And not to mention that they totally ignored IBM (you
    >> did catch that Mike Kaply is from IBM, eh?) which has a fairly
    >> widespread internal distribution of a customized Firefox, and numerous
    >> corporate-specific extensions, AND is an active open-source
    >> participant. And IBM has long had strong internal support for Mozilla
    >> (going back to Netscape days). Dumb, just dumb. As one of the posts
    >> in that bug alluded, surely the devs had something more important they
    >> could have spent their coding and discussion time on. Good grief.
    >> *Stop the madness!!!* :-)

    >
    > There are a number of things wrong with your argument:
    >
    > 1. Mike Beltzner (the quote that says "I say we toss it") also has an
    > affiliation with IBM.
    >
    > 2. If one person from IBM has a concern about one bug, that does not
    > represent Mozilla's relationship with all of IBM.
    >
    > 3. Mike Kaply was not ignored. If you read the rest of the comments,
    > you'll see that his concern was considered, and it was determined that
    > CCK users should implement it via extension.
    >
    > 4. Mozilla is not a politician trying to please those who fund its
    > campaign. Just because one person from IBM states one concern, does that
    > mean everyone else should be ignored?
    >
    > Instead of insulting and cursing arbitrary devs, behind their back, how
    > about answering the question they asked: Why should the throbber link
    > anywhere? In Firefox, the throbber is not a Firefox logo; it's just an
    > activity indicator. Why should an activity indicator link anywhere? If
    > you read the discussion in m.d.a.firefox (linked in the bug), you'll see
    > that I agreed with the removal. As I said, if it were a Firefox logo, I
    > could understand linking it. If it's not a logo, I would rather turn it
    > into a stop button.


    OK, let's calm down, not insult or curse anybody, and try to reason this thing
    out.

    Obviously, there are _some_ people out there who used to find the throbber
    link useful.

    Now let's try to find the flip side of the coin: In what circumstances would
    that link be a positive _nuisance_ to anyone? I've been thinking, but I can't
    find any, especially since it can (well, could, when it existed) be disabled
    without too much hassle, for instance by setting browser.throbber.url to the
    empty string.

    If some existing feature is a plus for some (even if only a few), and a minus
    for nobody, I can't see why it should be removed.


    Best regards,
    Tony.

  15. Re: throbber

    _Tony Mechelynck_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2007 4:27 AM:
    > Now let's try to find the flip side of the coin: In what circumstances
    > would that link be a positive _nuisance_ to anyone?


    It was actually explained in the original thread.

    --
    Chris Ilias
    List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  16. Re: throbber

    On 17/01/2007 10:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tony
    Mechelynck to generate the following:? :
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly on 16/01/2007 11:14 PM:
    >>
    >>> squaredancer wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 16/01/2007 17:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    >>>> to generate the following:? :
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329601
    >>>>>
    >>>> oh great! as I said - the "we know what's best for you" devs....
    >>>>
    >>>> two quotes, to show *just how much they know*
    >>>> QUOTE
    >>>> Mike Beltzner 2006-03-07 06:45:00 PST
    >>>>
    >>>> As mentioned elsewhere, unless someone can provide me with a *really
    >>>> good
    >>>> reason* to keep this function, I say we toss it. No other major
    >>>> browser seems
    >>>> to do this anymore either.
    >>>>
    >>>> Comment #3 Michael Kaply (IBM) (mkaply) 2006-03-07 07:36:04 PST
    >>>>
    >>>> The CCK allows you to change the throbber image and have it link to
    >>>> another
    >>>> page...not sure how useful that is - I just did it to copy from
    >>>> Netscape.
    >>>>
    >>>> UNQUOTE
    >>>>
    >>>> so - because "no other major browser...." and
    >>>> because "not sure how useful that is...."
    >>>>
    >>>> it has to go!
    >>>>
    >>> Well, um, YEAH! And not to mention that they totally ignored IBM (you
    >>> did catch that Mike Kaply is from IBM, eh?) which has a fairly
    >>> widespread internal distribution of a customized Firefox, and numerous
    >>> corporate-specific extensions, AND is an active open-source
    >>> participant. And IBM has long had strong internal support for Mozilla
    >>> (going back to Netscape days). Dumb, just dumb. As one of the posts
    >>> in that bug alluded, surely the devs had something more important they
    >>> could have spent their coding and discussion time on. Good grief.
    >>> *Stop the madness!!!* :-)
    >>>

    >> There are a number of things wrong with your argument:
    >>
    >> 1. Mike Beltzner (the quote that says "I say we toss it") also has an
    >> affiliation with IBM.
    >>
    >> 2. If one person from IBM has a concern about one bug, that does not
    >> represent Mozilla's relationship with all of IBM.
    >>
    >> 3. Mike Kaply was not ignored. If you read the rest of the comments,
    >> you'll see that his concern was considered, and it was determined that
    >> CCK users should implement it via extension.
    >>
    >> 4. Mozilla is not a politician trying to please those who fund its
    >> campaign. Just because one person from IBM states one concern, does that
    >> mean everyone else should be ignored?
    >>
    >> Instead of insulting and cursing arbitrary devs, behind their back, how
    >> about answering the question they asked: Why should the throbber link
    >> anywhere? In Firefox, the throbber is not a Firefox logo; it's just an
    >> activity indicator. Why should an activity indicator link anywhere? If
    >> you read the discussion in m.d.a.firefox (linked in the bug), you'll see
    >> that I agreed with the removal. As I said, if it were a Firefox logo, I
    >> could understand linking it. If it's not a logo, I would rather turn it
    >> into a stop button.
    >>

    >
    > OK, let's calm down, not insult or curse anybody, and try to reason this thing
    > out.
    >
    > Obviously, there are _some_ people out there who used to find the throbber
    > link useful.
    >
    > Now let's try to find the flip side of the coin: In what circumstances would
    > that link be a positive _nuisance_ to anyone? I've been thinking, but I can't
    > find any, especially since it can (well, could, when it existed) be disabled
    > without too much hassle, for instance by setting browser.throbber.url to the
    > empty string.
    >
    > If some existing feature is a plus for some (even if only a few), and a minus
    > for nobody, I can't see why it should be removed.
    >
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.
    >

    exactly, Tony.... and another "reverse side" is that, when removing the
    code (for the throbber) something else may well get quirked, that is
    linked to that code... and strange things start to happen to the
    "revised and improved" version... installer doesn't work properly,
    bookmarks vanish... profiles get changed - all sorts of unpredictables.

    If it ain't broke, don't mend it.... but go tell that to the devs!

    reg


  17. Re: throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Tony Mechelynck_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2007 4:27 AM:
    >> Now let's try to find the flip side of the coin: In what circumstances
    >> would that link be a positive _nuisance_ to anyone?

    >
    > It was actually explained in the original thread.
    >
    >


    Let's copy that here:

    Well it has an action that is impossible to discover (it doesn't look
    like a button), possible to invoke accidentally (by clicking on an
    assumed dead area of the screen) and confusing if invoked ("where did
    this website come from?") as at least a little harmful...


    That argument doesn't convince me:
    - impossible to discover? How come people did discover it then, as shown by
    the number of people asking on these NGs why it doesn't work anymore? Even if
    _all_ of the people who use it discovered it by clicking the big N of Netscape
    long before finding out that Mozilla (or Firefox) existed (which I don't
    believe but let's assume it for the sake of argument), it's already a reason
    to keep it.

    - doesn't look like a button? On some themes it doesn't, on some themes it
    does. That argument doesn't sway me.

    - by clicking on a dead area? A revolving widget is hardly a dead area,
    especially if hovering the mouse over it displays a tooltip with a URL. I
    don't know if that tooltip in my Firefox installation comes from MR-Tech Local
    Install or from Firefox, but regardless, it's one possible way to make the
    link "discoverable" and the underlying area "obviously not dead". Another
    possible way would have been to have the mouse pointer change from "pointing
    arrow" to "pointing hand" since the latter means "you're on a link". Anyway,
    when I want to click on a dead area, I look for some empty space with plain
    background color and no foreground feature over it. Or maybe the titlebar,
    whose only "action when clicked" AFAIK is to give its window focus.

    - Confusing if invoked? Maybe, maybe not. The fact that (if about.config
    wasn't changed) it used to links (or used to) to a Mozilla Firefox page (and
    not to, let's say, a Google page), plus a little thinking back ("what did I do
    just now?"), would IMO lead to its "discovery", thus negating the argument
    according to which it is "impossible to discover".


    Best regards,
    Tony.

  18. Re: throbber

    _Tony Mechelynck_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2007 5:16 AM:
    > - impossible to discover? How come people did discover it then, as shown
    > by the number of people asking on these NGs why it doesn't work anymore?


    Because it was much much bigger in Mozilla/Netscape.

    > Even if _all_ of the people who use it discovered it by clicking the big
    > N of Netscape long before finding out that Mozilla (or Firefox) existed
    > (which I don't believe but let's assume it for the sake of argument),
    > it's already a reason to keep it.


    I don't agree with keeping a feature just for legacy purposes.

    > - doesn't look like a button? On some themes it doesn't, on some themes
    > it does. That argument doesn't sway me.


    On the default theme, which is what all new users are on, it doesn't
    look like a button.

    > - by clicking on a dead area? A revolving widget is hardly a dead area,


    Revolving, only when there's activity. Most of the time, it just sits
    there not revolving; and that's usually the time when clicking is done.

    > especially if hovering the mouse over it displays a tooltip with a URL.


    If a user places the pointer over the throbber, and holds it there long
    enough for a tooltip to show, that click ain't no accident.

    > - Confusing if invoked? Maybe, maybe not. The fact that (if about.config
    > wasn't changed) it used to links (or used to) to a Mozilla Firefox page
    > (and not to, let's say, a Google page), plus a little thinking back
    > ("what did I do just now?"), would IMO lead to its "discovery", thus
    > negating the argument according to which it is "impossible to discover".


    I don't want users thinking "What did I just do now?"
    --
    Chris Ilias
    List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  19. Re: throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Tony Mechelynck_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2007 4:27 AM:
    >> Now let's try to find the flip side of the coin: In what circumstances
    >> would that link be a positive _nuisance_ to anyone?

    >
    > It was actually explained in the original thread.
    >
    >


    There's the problem right there. It was discuss in the "developers"
    newsgroup. I think if it was discussed amongst the users and in the
    support group, I think you would get a different answer.

    --
    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  20. Re: throbber

    On 17.01.2007 01:28, Chris Ilias wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2007 2:27 AM:
    >> I think it should be left up to the individual user on what his/her
    >> throbber does.

    >
    > That's noble of you. I think it should be up to the user what the Back,
    > Forward, and Stop buttons do. :-P


    That's irrational thinking because the "activity monitor" isn't labeled,
    even when hovering over it and users relate it to the logo/throbber.
    Yes, I noted the smiley. :-P

    My own thought is that it should have been left as-is to appease those
    that used it in previous versions of most anything produced by
    Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Firefox, etc. At the very least, there should
    be an aboutconfig entry to let the user decide mainly because we've come
    a very long way in user-available customization options so why take a
    step backward in this adventure.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast