Restore session & start new session options - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Restore session & start new session options - Mozilla ; Since upgrading to Firefox 2, every time I open the browser I get a dialog box saying "Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You can restore the tabs and windows from your previous session or start a new session if ...

  1. Restore session & start new session options

    Since upgrading to Firefox 2, every time I open the browser I get a
    dialog box saying "Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You
    can restore the tabs and windows from your previous session or start a
    new session if you think the problem was related to a page you were
    viewing.
    It has the 2 buttons corresponding to those options. This seems like a
    glitch to me. Or is it a new feature?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    > Since upgrading to Firefox 2, every time I open the browser I get a
    > dialog box saying "Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You
    > can restore the tabs and windows from your previous session or start a
    > new session if you think the problem was related to a page you were
    > viewing.
    > It has the 2 buttons corresponding to those options. This seems like a
    > glitch to me.

    in what way is it a glitch?

    > Or is it a new feature?

    yes!

    > Thanks.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  3. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Since upgrading to Firefox 2, every time I open the browser I get a
    > > dialog box saying "Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You
    > > can restore the tabs and windows from your previous session or start a
    > > new session if you think the problem was related to a page you were
    > > viewing.
    > > It has the 2 buttons corresponding to those options. This seems like a
    > > glitch to me.

    > in what way is it a glitch?

    It struck me as a form of error message, because my previous session
    didn't "close unexpectedly." It ended because I shut down Windows and
    intentionally ended the session. Guess it's kind of a semantic issue.

  4. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Since upgrading to Firefox 2, every time I open the browser I get
    >>> a dialog box saying "Your last Firefox session closed
    >>> unexpectedly. You can restore the tabs and windows from your
    >>> previous session or start a new session if you think the problem
    >>> was related to a page you were viewing. It has the 2 buttons
    >>> corresponding to those options. This seems like a glitch to me.

    >> in what way is it a glitch?
    >>

    > It struck me as a form of error message, because my previous session
    > didn't "close unexpectedly." It ended because I shut down Windows and
    > intentionally ended the session. Guess it's kind of a semantic
    > issue.

    before shut down Windows , click on 'X' button to close FF in normal way.

  5. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Since upgrading to Firefox 2, every time I open the browser I get a
    >>> dialog box saying "Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You
    >>> can restore the tabs and windows from your previous session or start a
    >>> new session if you think the problem was related to a page you were
    >>> viewing.
    >>> It has the 2 buttons corresponding to those options. This seems like a
    >>> glitch to me.

    >> in what way is it a glitch?
    >>

    > It struck me as a form of error message, because my previous session
    > didn't "close unexpectedly." It ended because I shut down Windows and
    > intentionally ended the session. Guess it's kind of a semantic issue.

    FF thinks the close-down was unexpected because you didn't exit the
    browser in the "normal" way.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  6. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    You can exit FF in the "normal" way and STILL get this message next time you
    start it. It needs to go away.

    "SteveG" wrote in message
    news:38CdnaAsYrupBzHYnZ2dnUVZ_tHinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> in what way is it a glitch?
    >>>

    >> It struck me as a form of error message, because my previous session
    >> didn't "close unexpectedly." It ended because I shut down Windows and
    >> intentionally ended the session. Guess it's kind of a semantic issue.
    >>

    > FF thinks the close-down was unexpected because you didn't exit the
    > browser in the "normal" way.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Steve G

  7. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    r0nbo wrote:
    > You can exit FF in the "normal" way and STILL get this message next time you
    > start it. It needs to go away.

    I appreciate that, but the Op suggested he'd simply closed Windoze and I
    was just explaining that might have caused the error :-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  8. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    > "Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You can
    > restore the tabs and windows from your previous session
    > or start a new session if you think the problem was
    > related to a page you were viewing.

    Hi Jerry,
    This was added to Firefox 2.

    Exiting Firefox:
    abnormally
    with the [X] close button to close active window.
    File, Exit (closes all Firefox windows, best way)
    Restart such as updating extensions (addons)
    where you want to come up with what you had,
    and there is a "Quick Restart" extension to do same,
    which I've found very useful.

    You can force Firefox to terminate through the
    (Windows) Task Manager, at least similar if not the
    same as what you did, and you would get the message.
    If you are always getting the message, I would try
    terminating Firefox with the Task Manager, once again
    and then reply to start a new session.

    Do you have any of these extensions which also have a
    Session Manager or something relating to:
    "Session Manager", "Tab Mix Plus", "Crash Recovery"

    Also what do you have for
    Tools ? Options ? Advanced ? Tabbed Browsing ?
    Warn when closing multiple tabs"
    (The default is true, and the number is 15)

    Although you can have Firefox automatically restart
    with the tabs that up one time. I might be very
    suspicious of something and not want to bring up such
    some site automatically again even one time, so I
    would want the choice on terminated sessions. All of
    which is, I think, the default.
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

    "r0nbo" wrote in message news:R5qdnWYg0NOiizPYnZ2dnUVZ_tGsnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > You can exit FF in the "normal" way and STILL get this message next time you
    > start it. It needs to go away.
    >
    > "SteveG" wrote in message
    > news:38CdnaAsYrupBzHYnZ2dnUVZ_tHinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > > jerryb44@gmail.com wrote:
    > >>>
    > >> It struck me as a form of error message, because my previous session
    > >> didn't "close unexpectedly." It ended because I shut down Windows and
    > >> intentionally ended the session. Guess it's kind of a semantic issue.
    > >>

    > > FF thinks the close-down was unexpected because you didn't exit the
    > > browser in the "normal" way.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Steve G

  9. Re: Restore session & start new session options

    > Hi Jerry,
    > This was added to Firefox 2.

    My first sentence may be ambiguous it refers to
    your message in that a Session Manager was
    added to Firefox 2, and does not refer to the
    material below that sentence.

+ Reply to Thread