Japanese Input Characters and Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Japanese Input Characters and Firefox - Mozilla ; When I input Japanese characters in dialog box (ie. search box), for some Japanese characters Firefox decodes the character I inputed as a question mark. For example, in the google search box if I input chiyoda-ku , I get 千代田?. ...

  1. Japanese Input Characters and Firefox

    When I input Japanese characters in dialog box (ie. search box), for
    some Japanese characters Firefox decodes the character I inputed as a
    question mark. For example, in the google search box if I input
    chiyoda-ku , I get 千代田?. Google properly searches the the
    complete entry (千代田区), but the display of characters is still a
    question mark.

    The weird thing is under System Preference...International...Language
    and change Japanese as my primary language for dialogues, application
    menu etc and relaunch firefox...chiyoda-ku is displayed properly with
    all it's characters.

    In Safari, I'm not having this problem. Would anyone have any insights
    on how I can resolve this issue?

  2. Re: Japanese Input Characters and Firefox

    justin.dhingra@gmail.com wrote:
    > When I input Japanese characters in dialog box (ie. search box), for
    > some Japanese characters Firefox decodes the character I inputed as a
    > question mark. For example, in the google search box if I input
    > chiyoda-ku , I get ????. Google properly searches the the
    > complete entry (????), but the display of characters is still a
    > question mark.
    >
    > The weird thing is under System Preference...International...Language
    > and change Japanese as my primary language for dialogues, application
    > menu etc and relaunch firefox...chiyoda-ku is displayed properly with
    > all it's characters.
    >
    > In Safari, I'm not having this problem. Would anyone have any insights
    > on how I can resolve this issue?

    try changing the character encoding [under view]

    --
    "Oh! Heavens to Murgatroid. Exit, Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss
    http://www.toonopedia.com/snaggle.htm

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  3. Re: Japanese Input Characters and Firefox

    justin.dhingra@gmail.com wrote:
    > When I input Japanese characters in dialog box (ie. search box), for
    > some Japanese characters Firefox decodes the character I inputed as a
    > question mark. For example, in the google search box if I input
    > chiyoda-ku , I get 千代田?. Google properly searches the the
    > complete entry (千代田区), but the display of characters is still a
    > question mark.
    >
    > The weird thing is under System Preference...International...Language
    > and change Japanese as my primary language for dialogues, application
    > menu etc and relaunch firefox...chiyoda-ku is displayed properly with
    > all it's characters.
    >
    > In Safari, I'm not having this problem. Would anyone have any insights
    > on how I can resolve this issue?

    Maybe Firefox uses in the search box a font which is dependent on your locale.
    When your locale is not set to Japenese, Firefox might be using a font which
    doesn't include that last character (in which case it will be replaced by the
    generalized "unknown wide character" glyph, i.e. a "wide" question mark).

    You might try adding the following to your userChrome.css (in the chrome
    directory of your profile folder, cf. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder )

    ..searchbar-textbox .textbox-input
    { font-family:
    /* add here one or more Japanese font names, */
    /* each of them followed by a comma */
    /* any name including spaces should be quoted */
    "MS Mincho",
    "MS Gothic",
    MingLiU,
    monospace !important
    }

    You may add Japanese font names where I placed comments. Firefox will use the
    first name in the list which is found on your system. The last name should be
    one of serif, sans-serif, monospace, script or (IIRC) fantasy, because these
    names are guaranteed to exist on every system. (And I know MingLiU is a
    Chinese font but IIRC it covers most of the Unified CJK character range
    including both Traditional and Simplified kanji. It might even include kana
    but of that I'm not 100% sure.)

    Best regards,
    Tony.

+ Reply to Thread