Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox - Mozilla ; Computer 1: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.4.2_02 Computer 2: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.5.0_10 I recently updated Java on Computer 2 to current version. Java applets do not work with Firefox but do with IE6. Java works fine ...

  1. Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox

    Computer 1: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.4.2_02

    Computer 2: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.5.0_10

    I recently updated Java on Computer 2 to current version. Java applets
    do not work with Firefox but do with IE6. Java works fine on Computer 1
    in Firefox.

    Example:
    http://crosswords.washingtonpost.com...aily/front.htm

    Computer 1 shows the crossword, Computer 2 does not.

    I checked aboutlugins and the plugins are listed. I also checked
    tools|options|content. Both java and javascript are enabled on both
    computers.

    Please offer suggestions.
    Thanks. Eva

  2. Re: Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox

    Eva wrote:
    > Computer 1: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.4.2_02
    >
    > Computer 2: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.5.0_10
    >
    > I recently updated Java on Computer 2 to current version. Java applets
    > do not work with Firefox but do with IE6. Java works fine on Computer 1
    > in Firefox.
    >
    > Example:
    > http://crosswords.washingtonpost.com...aily/front.htm
    >

    > Computer 1 shows the crossword, Computer 2 does not.
    >
    > I checked aboutlugins and the plugins are listed. I also checked
    > tools|options|content. Both java and javascript are enabled on both
    > computers.
    >
    > Please offer suggestions.
    > Thanks. Eva

    Possibly an XP issue as I am running W2k updated with FF updated & Java
    1.5... latest also. Just went to your link and the puzzle shows just fine.

    James

  3. Re: Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox

    "Eva" wrote in message
    news:ms6dnetg35JgFwvYnZ2dnUVZ_tGsnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > I recently updated Java on Computer 2 to current version. Java applets do
    > not work with Firefox but do with IE6. Java works fine on Computer 1 in
    > Firefox.

    Try uninstalling all versions of Java from computer 2 and then reinstalling
    a recent version (1.6 is the latest release; 1.7 is in alpha).

  4. Re: Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox

    Eva wrote:
    > Computer 1: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.4.2_02
    >
    > Computer 2: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.5.0_10
    >
    > I recently updated Java on Computer 2 to current version. Java applets
    > do not work with Firefox but do with IE6. Java works fine on Computer 1
    > in Firefox.
    >
    > Example:
    > http://crosswords.washingtonpost.com...aily/front.htm
    >

    > Computer 1 shows the crossword, Computer 2 does not.
    >
    > I checked aboutlugins and the plugins are listed. I also checked
    > tools|options|content. Both java and javascript are enabled on both
    > computers.
    >
    > Please offer suggestions.
    > Thanks. Eva

    what makes you say they don't work. Test it out here:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and here:
    http://www.javatester.org/

    Also, java and javascript are two different things. They have nothing
    in common except for the work java.

    --
    "Oh! Heavens to Murgatroid. Exit, Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss
    http://www.toonopedia.com/snaggle.htm

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  5. Re: Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox

    Eva wrote:
    > Computer 1: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.4.2_02
    >
    > Computer 2: Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Java 1.5.0_10
    >
    > I recently updated Java on Computer 2 to current version. Java applets
    > do not work with Firefox but do with IE6. Java works fine on Computer 1
    > in Firefox.
    >
    > Example:
    > http://crosswords.washingtonpost.com...aily/front.htm
    >

    > Computer 1 shows the crossword, Computer 2 does not.
    >
    > I checked aboutlugins and the plugins are listed. I also checked
    > tools|options|content. Both java and javascript are enabled on both
    > computers.
    >
    > Please offer suggestions.
    > Thanks. Eva

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I accidentally found the solution
    looking through everything on the tools tab. I saw that the adblock
    extension had an update available so I updated that and the problem was
    solved. It would never have occurred to me to look there except by chance.

    I haven't changed over to FF2.0 yet. Does it warn you when extensions
    need updating?

    Eva

  6. Re: Java 1.5.0_10 not working on Firefox

    Eva wrote:

    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I accidentally found the solution
    > looking through everything on the tools tab. I saw that the adblock
    > extension had an update available so I updated that and the problem was
    > solved. It would never have occurred to me to look there except by chance.
    >
    > I haven't changed over to FF2.0 yet. Does it warn you when extensions
    > need updating?
    >
    > Eva

    Adblock, or Adblock Plus? I'd recommend the latter over the former.

    Firefox 2.x does tell you when updated extensions are available.

    Phil

+ Reply to Thread