Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin - Mozilla ; I have problem installing the Macromedia Shockwave Player plugin to view certain sites that have an Animation that requires Shockwave player. For example, the following site at http://www.trimble.com/gps/howgps-tr...g-anim03.shtml requires the Shockwave player plugin. On that site, I clicked on the ...

  1. Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin

    I have problem installing the Macromedia Shockwave Player plugin to view
    certain sites that have an Animation that requires Shockwave player. For
    example, the following site at
    http://www.trimble.com/gps/howgps-tr...g-anim03.shtml requires the
    Shockwave player plugin. On that site, I clicked on the button "Click
    here to install the Plugin" and a popup box then tells me that Macromedia
    Shockwave Player is available . I clicked Next, click Yes to the License
    Agreement and it tries to install the Plugin. But an Error box pops up
    soon to report that installation has failed but offers a Manual
    Installation button. I clicked on it and manually downloaded the Shockwave
    Player file However, on running that downloaded file, Internet Explorer
    loads up instead of Firefox! Another error box also pops up to say "This
    Application requires an Xtra (Flash movie..) that either does not exist or
    failed to initialize properly. Please check that the appropriate Xtra is in
    the Xtra folder(s)."

    Appreciate if someone can help me out. Thank you and Happy New year to
    you.

  2. Re: Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin

    Jimmy Hsu wrote:
    > I have problem installing the Macromedia Shockwave Player plugin to
    > view certain sites that have an Animation that requires Shockwave
    > player. For example, the following site at
    > http://www.trimble.com/gps/howgps-tr...g-anim03.shtml requires
    > the Shockwave player plugin. On that site, I clicked on the button
    > "Click here to install the Plugin" and a popup box then tells me that
    > Macromedia Shockwave Player is available . I clicked Next, click Yes
    > to the License Agreement and it tries to install the Plugin. But an
    > Error box pops up soon to report that installation has failed but
    > offers a Manual Installation button. I clicked on it and manually
    > downloaded the Shockwave Player file However, on running that
    > downloaded file, Internet Explorer loads up instead of Firefox!
    > Another error box also pops up to say "This Application requires an
    > Xtra (Flash movie..) that either does not exist or failed to
    > initialize properly. Please check that the appropriate Xtra is in the
    > Xtra folder(s)."
    >
    > Appreciate if someone can help me out. Thank you and Happy New year
    > to you.

    just test shockwave plugins at this page :
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    same problem ?

  3. Re: Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin

    "Nir" wrote in message
    > Jimmy Hsu wrote:
    >> I have problem installing the Macromedia Shockwave Player plugin to view
    >> certain sites that have an Animation that requires Shockwave player. For
    >> example, the following site at
    >> http://www.trimble.com/gps/howgps-tr...g-anim03.shtml requires
    >> the Shockwave player plugin. On that site, I clicked on the button
    >> "Click here to install the Plugin" and a popup box then tells me that
    >> Macromedia Shockwave Player is available . I clicked Next, click Yes
    >> to the License Agreement and it tries to install the Plugin. But an
    >> Error box pops up soon to report that installation has failed but
    >> offers a Manual Installation button. I clicked on it and manually
    >> downloaded the Shockwave Player file However, on running that
    >> downloaded file, Internet Explorer loads up instead of Firefox!
    >> Another error box also pops up to say "This Application requires an
    >> Xtra (Flash movie..) that either does not exist or failed to
    >> initialize properly. Please check that the appropriate Xtra is in the
    >> Xtra folder(s)." >> Appreciate if someone can help me out. Thank you
    >> and Happy New year
    >> to you.
    >>

    > just test shockwave plugins at this page :
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    > same problem ?

    Nope, still same problem. The plugin failed to be installed for Firefox,
    but OK for Internet Explorer.
    I have the latest version of Firefox v1 5.0.9 and IE 7.0.

  4. Re: Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin

    Hope this helps.
    I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.1 [you can easily upgrade your 1.5 version]. I
    tried your Trimble link and tried installing the Shockwave
    plug-in-installation failed just like you note.
    So then I went to the Adobe site suggested by nir and did a manual
    installation. Shut down and restarted firefox and then went back to the
    Adobe site to see if the plug-in worked. It did and I have both Adobe
    Shockwave and Adobe flash showing as working on the Adobe site.
    So then I went to the Trimble site and checked your link-the Shockwave
    plug-in now worked.
    Bottom line: Maybe upgrading to Firefox 2 and going through the procedure I
    used will solve your problem. Anyway, its worth a try.
    Jim Kirk
    "Jimmy Hsu" wrote in message
    news:RLCdnTCYYpvG5wvYnZ2dnUVZ_s6onZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >I have problem installing the Macromedia Shockwave Player plugin to view
    >certain sites that have an Animation that requires Shockwave player. For
    >example, the following site at
    >http://www.trimble.com/gps/howgps-tr...g-anim03.shtml requires the
    >Shockwave player plugin. On that site, I clicked on the button "Click
    >here to install the Plugin" and a popup box then tells me that Macromedia
    >Shockwave Player is available . I clicked Next, click Yes to the License
    >Agreement and it tries to install the Plugin. But an Error box pops up
    >soon to report that installation has failed but offers a Manual
    >Installation button. I clicked on it and manually downloaded the Shockwave
    >Player file However, on running that downloaded file, Internet Explorer
    >loads up instead of Firefox! Another error box also pops up to say "This
    >Application requires an Xtra (Flash movie..) that either does not exist or
    >failed to initialize properly. Please check that the appropriate Xtra is in
    >the Xtra folder(s)."
    >
    > Appreciate if someone can help me out. Thank you and Happy New year to
    > you.

  5. Re: Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin

    Jimmy Hsu wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message

    > Nope, still same problem. The plugin failed to be installed for
    > Firefox, but OK for Internet Explorer. I have the latest version of
    > Firefox v1 5.0.9 and IE 7.0.

    probably it may help you
    rename the standard shockwave setup file to .zip.
    unzip that , copy 'np32dsw.dll' file to 'plugins' folder ( located
    within Firefox program folder )
    after completing , open FF , goto http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    to test plugin

  6. Re: Firefox problem with Shockwave Player plugin

    It worked! Thank you very much for your kind advice and help. Again a very
    bountiful and Happy New Year of 2007 to you folks.
    Greetings from Singapore

    "Jim Kirk" wrote in message
    news:RKmdnTCvYoEVQwvYnZ2dnUVZ_s6onZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Hope this helps.
    > I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.1 [you can easily upgrade your 1.5 version]. I
    > tried your Trimble link and tried installing the Shockwave
    > plug-in-installation failed just like you note.
    > So then I went to the Adobe site suggested by nir and did a manual
    > installation. Shut down and restarted firefox and then went back to the
    > Adobe site to see if the plug-in worked. It did and I have both Adobe
    > Shockwave and Adobe flash showing as working on the Adobe site.
    > So then I went to the Trimble site and checked your link-the Shockwave
    > plug-in now worked.
    > Bottom line: Maybe upgrading to Firefox 2 and going through the procedure
    > I used will solve your problem. Anyway, its worth a try.
    > Jim Kirk
    > "Jimmy Hsu" wrote in message
    > news:RLCdnTCYYpvG5wvYnZ2dnUVZ_s6onZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>I have problem installing the Macromedia Shockwave Player plugin to view
    >>certain sites that have an Animation that requires Shockwave player. For
    >>example, the following site at
    >>http://www.trimble.com/gps/howgps-tr...g-anim03.shtml requires the
    >>Shockwave player plugin. On that site, I clicked on the button "Click
    >>here to install the Plugin" and a popup box then tells me that
    >>Macromedia Shockwave Player is available . I clicked Next, click Yes to
    >>the License Agreement and it tries to install the Plugin. But an Error
    >>box pops up soon to report that installation has failed but offers a
    >>Manual Installation button. I clicked on it and manually downloaded the
    >>Shockwave Player file However, on running that downloaded file, Internet
    >>Explorer loads up instead of Firefox! Another error box also pops up to
    >>say "This Application requires an Xtra (Flash movie..) that either does
    >>not exist or failed to initialize properly. Please check that the
    >>appropriate Xtra is in the Xtra folder(s)."
    >>
    >> Appreciate if someone can help me out. Thank you and Happy New year to
    >> you.

+ Reply to Thread