Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized - Mozilla ; Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz machine with 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3349 installed. Problem: When I found a news article calling for this audio/video file http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a FireFox window ...

  1. Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz machine with 320meg
    ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3349 installed.

    Problem: When I found a news article calling for this audio/video file
    http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869
    I receive a FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    suitable plugins are found."

    Despite having Windows Media Player installed on the machine - and it being
    operable - Firefox doesn't bring it up. When I click the Manual Install
    button on the Plugin Service Window, I see a quick spurt of the install
    indicator run about half through and I'm taken back to the same page I'm
    trying to get the file from. Pressing "Finished" simply gets rid of the
    window. I'm running in circles ... and unable to get the news article in FF.
    Media Player is automatically activated when using IE 6.0 without incident.

  2. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    "jaygreg" wrote in

    > Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz
    > machine with 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows
    > Media Player 9.00.00.3349 installed.
    >
    > Problem: When I found a news article calling for this
    > audio/video file
    > http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a
    > FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    > suitable plugins are found."

    WFM. WinXP, FF 1.5.09, and WMP 10.

    Try viewing one of the dozen or so current threads on this
    problem and try those solutions.

    --
    Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
    Netscape 6/7 Tips: http://www.holgermetzger.de/net6e.html

    A few thousand rads never hurt anybody.

  3. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    Chris Jahn wrote:
    > "jaygreg" wrote in
    >
    >> Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz
    >> machine with 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows
    >> Media Player 9.00.00.3349 installed.
    >>
    >> Problem: When I found a news article calling for this
    >> audio/video file
    >> http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a
    >> FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    >> suitable plugins are found."

    > WFM. WinXP, FF 1.5.09, and WMP 10.
    >
    > Try viewing one of the dozen or so current threads on this
    > problem and try those solutions.

    I'm getting lost, Chris. When I attempt to seach this folder I get an
    Alert window reading: "A News (NNTP) error occurred: xpat not supported".

  4. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    jaygreg wrote:
    > Chris Jahn wrote:
    >> "jaygreg" wrote in
    >>> Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz machine
    >>> with 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows Media Player
    >>> 9.00.00.3349 installed. Problem: When I found a news article
    >>> calling for this audio/video file
    >>> http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a
    >>> FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    >>> suitable plugins are found."

    >> WFM. WinXP, FF 1.5.09, and WMP 10.
    >>
    >> Try viewing one of the dozen or so current threads on this problem
    >> and try those solutions.
    >>

    > I'm getting lost, Chris. When I attempt to seach this folder I get an
    > Alert window reading: "A News (NNTP) error occurred: xpat not
    > supported".

    This newsgroup server doesn't support xpat search. you can search
    :http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox

  5. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    jaygreg wrote:
    > Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz machine with
    > 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows Media Player
    > 9.00.00.3349 installed.
    >
    > Problem: When I found a news article calling for this audio/video
    > file http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a
    > FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    > suitable plugins are found."
    >
    > Despite having Windows Media Player installed on the machine - and it
    > being operable - Firefox doesn't bring it up. When I click the
    > Manual Install button on the Plugin Service Window, I see a quick
    > spurt of the install indicator run about half through and I'm taken
    > back to the same page I'm trying to get the file from. Pressing
    > "Finished" simply gets rid of the window. I'm running in circles ...
    > and unable to get the news article in FF. Media Player is
    > automatically activated when using IE 6.0 without incident.

    you may check this article :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Me...Missing_plugin

  6. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    Nir wrote:
    > jaygreg wrote:
    >> Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz machine with
    >> 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows Media Player
    >> 9.00.00.3349 installed.
    >>
    >> Problem: When I found a news article calling for this audio/video
    >> file http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a
    >> FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    >> suitable plugins are found."
    >>
    >> Despite having Windows Media Player installed on the machine - and it
    >> being operable - Firefox doesn't bring it up. When I click the
    >> Manual Install button on the Plugin Service Window, I see a quick
    >> spurt of the install indicator run about half through and I'm taken
    >> back to the same page I'm trying to get the file from. Pressing
    >> "Finished" simply gets rid of the window. I'm running in circles ...
    >> and unable to get the news article in FF. Media Player is
    >> automatically activated when using IE 6.0 without incident.
    >>

    > you may check this article :
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Me...Missing_plugin

    Looks like I'm missing two to the three files needed in the npdsplay.dll
    set. Thanks, Nir. I take a shot at squaring it up later this evening.

    P.S. I read a little about "xpat search", just to understand what I've
    run into. But I'm curious... why wouldn't the servers on this type of
    newsgroup permit such a cross search?

  7. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    jaygreg wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> jaygreg wrote:
    >>> Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz machine with
    >>> 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows Media Player
    >>> 9.00.00.3349 installed.
    >>>
    >>> Problem: When I found a news article calling for this audio/video
    >>> file http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a
    >>> FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    >>> suitable plugins are found."
    >>>
    >>> Despite having Windows Media Player installed on the machine - and it
    >>> being operable - Firefox doesn't bring it up. When I click the
    >>> Manual Install button on the Plugin Service Window, I see a quick
    >>> spurt of the install indicator run about half through and I'm taken
    >>> back to the same page I'm trying to get the file from. Pressing
    >>> "Finished" simply gets rid of the window. I'm running in circles ...
    >>> and unable to get the news article in FF. Media Player is
    >>> automatically activated when using IE 6.0 without incident.
    >>>

    >> you may check this article :
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Me...Missing_plugin

    > Looks like I'm missing two to the three files needed in the npdsplay.dll
    > set. Thanks, Nir. I take a shot at squaring it up later this evening.
    >
    > P.S. I read a little about "xpat search", just to understand what I've
    > run into. But I'm curious... why wouldn't the servers on this type of
    > newsgroup permit such a cross search?

    I just looked more closely. The issue isn't that I have two of these
    three files missing from the PLayer folder, it's that they are simply
    missing from Firefox. I think something got hung up or went awry when I
    allowed FF to install the extension or add-on (I don't know the
    distinction). If that is the likely root cause... how do I resolve it?

  8. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    jaygreg wrote:
    > jaygreg wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> you may check this article :
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Me...Missing_plugin

    >> Looks like I'm missing two to the three files needed in the
    >> npdsplay.dll set. Thanks, Nir. I take a shot at squaring it up
    >> later this evening.
    >>
    >> P.S. I read a little about "xpat search", just to understand what
    >> I've run into. But I'm curious... why wouldn't the servers on this
    >> type of newsgroup permit such a cross search?

    > I just looked more closely. The issue isn't that I have two of these
    > three files missing from the PLayer folder, it's that they are simply
    > missing from Firefox. I think something got hung up or went awry when
    > I allowed FF to install the extension or add-on (I don't know the
    > distinction). If that is the likely root cause... how do I resolve
    > it?

    I think you can do two things:
    1. search for those three files in your system , when found , copy them
    to Plugins folder ( located within Firefox program folder )

    2. download those three files from the links given within that article :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Me...Missing_plugin
    copy them to Plugins folder

    after completing , goto that site
    http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 and check

  9. Re: Plugins: Windows Media Player 9 Not Recognized

    On 31/12/2006 00:41, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused jaygreg to
    generate the following:? :
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> jaygreg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Environment: I'm running WIN98SE on a Pentium II 333mhz machine with
    >>> 320meg ram, Firefox 1.5.0.9 and have Windows Media Player
    >>> 9.00.00.3349 installed.
    >>>
    >>> Problem: When I found a news article calling for this audio/video
    >>> file http://media.medialink.com/WebNR.aspx?story=32869 I receive a
    >>> FireFox window entitled Plugin Finder Service informing me "No
    >>> suitable plugins are found."
    >>>
    >>> Despite having Windows Media Player installed on the machine - and it
    >>> being operable - Firefox doesn't bring it up. When I click the
    >>> Manual Install button on the Plugin Service Window, I see a quick
    >>> spurt of the install indicator run about half through and I'm taken
    >>> back to the same page I'm trying to get the file from. Pressing
    >>> "Finished" simply gets rid of the window. I'm running in circles ...
    >>> and unable to get the news article in FF. Media Player is
    >>> automatically activated when using IE 6.0 without incident.
    >>>

    >> you may check this article :
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Me...Missing_plugin
    >>

    > Looks like I'm missing two to the three files needed in the npdsplay.dll
    > set. Thanks, Nir. I take a shot at squaring it up later this evening.
    >
    > P.S. I read a little about "xpat search", just to understand what I've
    > run into. But I'm curious... why wouldn't the servers on this type of
    > newsgroup permit such a cross search?

    I'm sure someone can supply the details but, as I recall it, XPAT
    searches are very heavy and demanding on the server resources, sometimes
    to such an extent that the server collapses. I've read on these groups
    several times that that is the main reason for servers *not* to support
    them!

    reg

+ Reply to Thread