On Paste event - Mozilla

This is a discussion on On Paste event - Mozilla ; I am looking for some way to control the pasting in my web based application. The reason I would like to control pasting is because the application includes a table that looks like a datasheet. If the user copies 10 ...

  1. On Paste event

    I am looking for some way to control the pasting in my web based
    application.

    The reason I would like to control pasting is because the application
    includes a table that looks like a datasheet. If the user copies 10
    rows from a spreadsheet and clicks on the textbox and pastes it, I
    would like to get the data in a back-end process and insert them into
    the database and then display the table with the new rows added.

    In other words, if the paste is a single value, then I want to let the
    paste go through. If the paste is more then that, then I would like to
    process it and not let the paste go through. In order to do this I need
    the data from the clipboard accessible and I need the paste to not go
    through.

    I know there is no OnPaste event in firefox, I was wondering if anyone
    knew of a work-around.

    thanks
    Sim

  2. Re: On Paste event

    On 2006-12-28 07:54 (-0700 UTC), simzacks@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am looking for some way to control the pasting in my web based
    > application.

    > [ . . . ] I need
    > the data from the clipboard accessible and I need the paste to not go
    > through.

    Wouldn't that be, like, a huge security issue?

    /b.

    --
    'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

    'And, yes, I AM a bit paranoid. After 25 years online, one gets that way,
    if one survives.' -- Ron Hunter

  3. Re: On Paste event

    1) No that would not be a huge security issue if implemented correctly.
    What might be a minor security issue is if the browser has constant
    access to the clipboard and could then on a timer copy your clipboard
    and send it to another host. However, controlling the onpaste, which is
    only onpaste into the browser not onpaste on the system. Means that the
    data you are pasting in is accessible to the web browser immediately
    after the paste and it can do with the data what it would like.

    2) If all Internet security issues were kept out of the browser then it
    would be next to impossible to write an Intranet application that does
    not need to worry about outside security.

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2006-12-28 07:54 (-0700 UTC), simzacks@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking for some way to control the pasting in my web based
    > > application.

    > > [ . . . ] I need
    > > the data from the clipboard accessible and I need the paste to not go
    > > through.

    > Wouldn't that be, like, a huge security issue?
    >
    > /b.
    >

    > --
    > 'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter
    >
    > 'And, yes, I AM a bit paranoid. After 25 years online, one gets that way,
    > if one survives.' -- Ron Hunter

+ Reply to Thread