Very basic Tab Mix Plus question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Very basic Tab Mix Plus question - Mozilla ; I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but here it is. How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using the ...

  1. Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    here it is.

    How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.

    What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    This is something I have a frequent need for.

    Thanks,
    p.
    --
    Using FF 2.0 on Win XP sp2

  2. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    Paul_B wrote:
    > I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    > glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    > here it is.
    >
    > How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    > the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    > the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    > tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    > window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    >
    > What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    > the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    > This is something I have a frequent need for.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    why don't you ask in their forums?: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/. You'll
    get a better result with the experts there than here.

    --
    "Oh! Heavens to Murgatroid. Exit . . . Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  3. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    Paul_B wrote:

    > I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    > glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    > here it is.
    >
    > How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    > the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    > the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    > tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    > window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    >
    > What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    > the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    > This is something I have a frequent need for.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options

    Select the Events Tab, then the Tab Focus tab. The options should be
    evident.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  4. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    Paul_B wrote:
    > I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    > glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    > here it is.
    >
    > How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    > the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    > the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    > tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    > window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    >
    > What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    > the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    > This is something I have a frequent need for.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    In the TMP options, you can set whether you want links opened in a new tab to
    be focused by default, and in which circumstances. Set that option to the
    setting you use most often, and use the context menu for the opposite. If
    "Open in Foreground Tab" doesn't appear in the menu, add the "Open link in..."
    extension.

    Or else, with the "keyconfig" extension, you can add new functions to key
    combos of your choice.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  5. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:39:12 -0500, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >
    >> I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    >> glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    >> here it is.
    >>
    >> How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    >> the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    >> the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    >> tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    >> window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    >>
    >> What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    >> the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    >> This is something I have a frequent need for.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> p.

    > Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options
    >
    > Select the Events Tab, then the Tab Focus tab. The options should be
    > evident.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee, that's just it - they're far from evident to me.

    p.
    --
    Using FF 2.0 on Win XP sp2

  6. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:33:53 -0800, Heavens to Murgatroid wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >> I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    >> glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    >> here it is.
    >>
    >> How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    >> the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    >> the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    >> tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    >> window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    >>
    >> What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    >> the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    >> This is something I have a frequent need for.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> p.

    > why don't you ask in their forums?: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/. You'll
    > get a better result with the experts there than here.

    Good idea. I immediately ran into this exchange:

    /ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
    Hi all,

    Before switching to FF 2.0 and TMP I had FF 1.5 configured so
    that shift-clicking on a link would open it in a new tab. I can
    get the same behaviour now with middle-click, but I always
    shift-click on links out of habit. Shift-click now instead opens
    a link in a new window, which I don't like. There is the option
    to force single window mode, but with that switched on I get a
    brief flash as the link opens a new window and then that window
    gets merged in with the first, and it's rather annoying.

    Is there any way to make shift-click open in a tab? A background
    tab, preferably.

    Much thanks,
    Pauly

    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    this was never configurable with TMP. the behavior comes from
    firefox itself

    shift will make ur tabs open in the background if you hold it
    while middle clicking and your default behavior is to
    select/focus tabs

    \_________________________________________________ ___________/

    I neglected to mention that I'm trying to avoid using the middle
    click for anything - too hard on the hand. So I guess it's just
    not doable. Seems like a major missing piece in the options.

    Thanks,
    p.
    --
    Using FF 2.0 on Win XP sp2

  7. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 03:50:12 +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >> I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    >> glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    >> here it is.
    >>
    >> How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    >> the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    >> the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    >> tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    >> window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    >>
    >> What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    >> the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    >> This is something I have a frequent need for.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> p.

    > In the TMP options, you can set whether you want links opened in a new tab to
    > be focused by default, and in which circumstances. Set that option to the
    > setting you use most often,

    Check; that was done.

    > and use the context menu for the opposite.

    There's the rub. There's no way to cover both bases - new tab
    focused/unfocused, without the use of the context menu. Seems a
    big void.

    > If
    > "Open in Foreground Tab" doesn't appear in the menu, add the "Open link in..."
    > extension.
    >
    > Or else, with the "keyconfig" extension, you can add new functions to key
    > combos of your choice.

    Unfortunately, I've tried keyconfig and couldn't get to first
    base with it. No one seemed to know the syntax to drive the
    thing.

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Thanks,
    p.
    --
    Using FF 2.0 on Win XP sp2

  8. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    Paul_B wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:39:12 -0500, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Paul_B wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    >>> glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    >>> here it is.
    >>>
    >>> How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    >>> the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    >>> the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    >>> tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    >>> window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    >>>
    >>> What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    >>> the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    >>> This is something I have a frequent need for.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> p.

    >> Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options
    >>
    >> Select the Events Tab, then the Tab Focus tab. The options should be
    >> evident.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Lee, that's just it - they're far from evident to me.
    >
    > p.

    Try this:

    Tools>>Options>>Tab Mix Plus Options

    Select the Events tab, then the Tab Opening tab. Uncheck the "Middle
    Click opens items in current tab" box. In the Tab Focus tab, uncheck the
    "Inverse middle click" boxes.

    Then, instead of CTRL/Shift/Click to select the new tab, try middle
    clicking (press down on the scroll wheel). On a Mac Command/click
    works instead of middle clicking. Maybe on Windows, CTRL/Click (without
    the shift key) would work as well.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  9. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    Paul_B wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:33:53 -0800, Heavens to Murgatroid wrote:
    >
    >> Paul_B wrote:

    /snip/
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Before switching to FF 2.0 and TMP I had FF 1.5 configured so
    > that shift-clicking on a link would open it in a new tab. I can
    > get the same behaviour now with middle-click, but I always
    > shift-click on links out of habit. Shift-click now instead opens
    > a link in a new window, which I don't like. There is the option
    > to force single window mode, but with that switched on I get a
    > brief flash as the link opens a new window and then that window
    > gets merged in with the first, and it's rather annoying.
    >
    > Is there any way to make shift-click open in a tab? A background
    > tab, preferably.
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Pauly
    >

    > ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    > this was never configurable with TMP. the behavior comes from
    > firefox itself
    >
    > shift will make ur tabs open in the background if you hold it
    > while middle clicking and your default behavior is to
    > select/focus tabs
    >
    > \_________________________________________________ ___________/
    >

    > I neglected to mention that I'm trying to avoid using the middle
    > click for anything - too hard on the hand. So I guess it's just
    > not doable. Seems like a major missing piece in the options.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    Now I am confused. Before you seemed to want to open links in a new tab,
    with focus. Now you say you want a background tab. You can have it
    either way.

    Note on Windows CRTL/Click seems to equal middle click, just as on a Mac
    Command/Click equals middle click.

    Tools>options>>Tab Mix Plus Options

    On the Tab Opening tab, uncheck the box for "Middle click opens items in
    current tab".

    On the Tab Focus tab, if under "Focus/Select tabs that open from" you
    check the box for Links, all links that open in new tabs will get focus.
    If you then check the box for "Inverse middle click..." a middle click
    (CTRL/Click) will not get focus. Reverse the above, and links that open
    ion new tabs will not get focus, but middle click (CTRL/Click) will get
    focus.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  10. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    Paul:

    I'm having the same problem -- not being able to use a simple single
    middle-click to open a new
    tab in the current window. This worked without problem and without a lot of
    manipulation of
    the TMP settings while I was using FF 1.5 along with Win XP Sp2. After
    downloading FF2, midddle-
    clicking to open a new tab no longer works despite all adjustments to the
    options.

    (It isn't you. Middle-clicking worked for me for all prior versions of FF.)

    Take care.
    m.

    "Paul_B" wrote in message
    | On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 03:50:12 +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    |
    | > Paul_B wrote:
    | >> I've enjoyed the TMP extension for quite a while now, but one
    | >> glaring omission continues to puzzle me. Probably it's me, but
    | >> here it is.
    | >>
    | >> How does one open a link in a new tab with focus, without using
    | >> the context menu? Plain clicking opens in the same tab, which is
    | >> the behavior I most often want. Ctl-Shift-click opens in a new
    | >> tab without focus, which is great. And Shift-click opens in a new
    | >> window, which is ok but generally unnecessary.
    | >>
    | >> What I don't know how to do is open in a new tab, with focus, in
    | >> the same window, without using the context menu item to do so.
    | >> This is something I have a frequent need for.
    | >>
    | >> Thanks,
    | >> p.
    | >
    | > In the TMP options, you can set whether you want links opened in a new
    tab to
    | > be focused by default, and in which circumstances. Set that option to
    the
    | > setting you use most often,
    |
    | Check; that was done.
    |
    | > and use the context menu for the opposite.
    |
    | There's the rub. There's no way to cover both bases - new tab
    | focused/unfocused, without the use of the context menu. Seems a
    | big void.
    |
    | > If
    | > "Open in Foreground Tab" doesn't appear in the menu, add the "Open link
    in..."
    | > extension.
    | >
    | > Or else, with the "keyconfig" extension, you can add new functions to
    key
    | > combos of your choice.
    |
    | Unfortunately, I've tried keyconfig and couldn't get to first
    | base with it. No one seemed to know the syntax to drive the
    | thing.
    | >
    | > Best regards,
    | > Tony.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | p.
    | --
    | Using FF 2.0 on Win XP sp2

  11. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:04:33 -0500, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:33:53 -0800, Heavens to Murgatroid wrote:
    >>
    >>> Paul_B wrote:

    > /snip/
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Before switching to FF 2.0 and TMP I had FF 1.5 configured so
    >> that shift-clicking on a link would open it in a new tab. I can
    >> get the same behaviour now with middle-click, but I always
    >> shift-click on links out of habit. Shift-click now instead opens
    >> a link in a new window, which I don't like. There is the option
    >> to force single window mode, but with that switched on I get a
    >> brief flash as the link opens a new window and then that window
    >> gets merged in with the first, and it's rather annoying.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to make shift-click open in a tab? A background
    >> tab, preferably.
    >>
    >> Much thanks,
    >> Pauly
    >>
    >> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    >> this was never configurable with TMP. the behavior comes from
    >> firefox itself
    >>
    >> shift will make ur tabs open in the background if you hold it
    >> while middle clicking and your default behavior is to
    >> select/focus tabs
    >>
    >> \_________________________________________________ ___________/
    >>
    >> I neglected to mention that I'm trying to avoid using the middle
    >> click for anything - too hard on the hand. So I guess it's just
    >> not doable. Seems like a major missing piece in the options.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> p.

    > Now I am confused. Before you seemed to want to open links in a new tab,
    > with focus. Now you say you want a background tab. You can have it
    > either way.

    I want the additional function of opening a link in a new,
    focused tab.

    > Note on Windows CRTL/Click seems to equal middle click, just as on a Mac
    > Command/Click equals middle click.

    That did it. I can't believe I didn't stumble upon that by simple
    trial and error. Confusion here, I guess.

    So now, Ctl-click opens a link in a new, focused tab;
    Ctl-Shift-click in a new, unfocused tab; Shift-click in a new
    window. That's a very workable solution.

    In my defense, I did start this thread by saying the problem was
    probably me! Brain needs a bit more prayer...

    Thanks,
    Paul

    --
    Using FF 2.0 on Win XP sp2

  12. Re: Very basic Tab Mix Plus question

    m. wrote:
    > Paul:
    >
    > I'm having the same problem -- not being able to use a simple single
    > middle-click to open a new
    > tab in the current window. This worked without problem and without a lot of
    > manipulation of
    > the TMP settings while I was using FF 1.5 along with Win XP Sp2. After
    > downloading FF2, midddle-
    > clicking to open a new tab no longer works despite all adjustments to the
    > options.
    >
    > (It isn't you. Middle-clicking worked for me for all prior versions of FF.)
    >
    > Take care.
    > m.

    Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
    reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the group
    preference. See the posting Guidelines, as linked in my sig, for more
    information. Thank you for your consideration.

    Note that Paul's problem has been solved.

    Middle clicking is working just fine from here:

    Type about:config into your location bar.

    Filter for middleclick

    Find:

    browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick

    Toggle the value to true.