Unable to Connect in FF1508 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Unable to Connect in FF1508 - Mozilla ; Lateley, when I start up FF1508, it works ok at first, but after about 10 minutes, about 75% of the sites I try to go to give me an "Unable to Connect" message. This includes common sites like Google, Microsoft, ...

  1. Unable to Connect in FF1508

    Lateley, when I start up FF1508, it works ok at first, but after about 10
    minutes, about 75% of the sites I try to go to give me an "Unable to
    Connect" message. This includes common sites like Google, Microsoft, Excite
    and Hotmail. A few sites still work OK. I started up with my firewall off
    and it still happens. Any ideas???
    Frank

  2. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    Frank wrote:
    > Lateley, when I start up FF1508, it works ok at first, but after about 10
    > minutes, about 75% of the sites I try to go to give me an "Unable to
    > Connect" message. This includes common sites like Google, Microsoft, Excite
    > and Hotmail. A few sites still work OK. I started up with my firewall off
    > and it still happens. Any ideas???
    > Frank

    hosts file, some program running in the background, proxy????

    --
    Oh! Heavens to Murgatroid. Exit . . . Stage Left!

  3. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    Tbird Leader Heavens to Murgatroid radioed the tower , On 12/3/2006 9:16
    PM:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Lateley, when I start up FF1508, it works ok at first, but after
    >> about 10 minutes, about 75% of the sites I try to go to give me an
    >> "Unable to Connect" message. This includes common sites like Google,
    >> Microsoft, Excite and Hotmail. A few sites still work OK. I started
    >> up with my firewall off and it still happens. Any ideas???
    >> Frank
    >>

    > hosts file, some program running in the background, proxy????

    What application is your software firewall? Zone Alarm runs a hidden
    process that has to be killed to fully stop it's activity. Closing the
    toolbar user interface does not fully turn off the firewall.

    --
    Ron K.

  4. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    On 12/3/2006 6:22 PM Pacific Time, Ron K. wrote thusly:
    > Tbird Leader Heavens to Murgatroid radioed the tower , On 12/3/2006 9:16
    > PM:
    >> Frank wrote:
    >>> Lateley, when I start up FF1508, it works ok at first, but after
    >>> about 10 minutes, about 75% of the sites I try to go to give me an
    >>> "Unable to Connect" message. This includes common sites like Google,
    >>> Microsoft, Excite and Hotmail. A few sites still work OK. I started
    >>> up with my firewall off and it still happens. Any ideas???
    >>> Frank
    >>>

    >> hosts file, some program running in the background, proxy????
    >>

    > What application is your software firewall? Zone Alarm runs a hidden
    > process that has to be killed to fully stop it's activity. Closing the
    > toolbar user interface does not fully turn off the firewall.

    Ron,
    Check for viruses and spyware.

    Barbara

  5. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    Tbird Leader Barbara radioed the tower , On 12/3/2006 10:09 PM:
    > On 12/3/2006 6:22 PM Pacific Time, Ron K. wrote thusly:
    >> Tbird Leader Heavens to Murgatroid radioed the tower , On 12/3/2006
    >> 9:16 PM:
    >>>>
    >>> hosts file, some program running in the background, proxy????
    >>>

    >> What application is your software firewall? Zone Alarm runs a hidden
    >> process that has to be killed to fully stop it's activity. Closing
    >> the toolbar user interface does not fully turn off the firewall.
    >>

    > Ron,
    > Check for viruses and spyware.
    >
    > Barbara

    Ron is not the OP, See Frank's query.

    --
    Ron K.

  6. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    My firewall is System Suite 7. It seems to completely go away when I kill
    mxtask. I did some more testing and it seems that the only sites that quit
    working are the non-secure ones (http) while the secure ones (https) like
    https://addons.mozilla.org/ still work OK.
    Frank
    "Ron K." wrote in message
    news:grGdnZcUu4xkGO7YnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Tbird Leader Heavens to Murgatroid radioed the tower , On 12/3/2006 9:16
    > PM:
    >> Frank wrote:
    >>> Lateley, when I start up FF1508, it works ok at first, but after about
    >>> 10 minutes, about 75% of the sites I try to go to give me an "Unable to
    >>> Connect" message. This includes common sites like Google, Microsoft,
    >>> Excite and Hotmail. A few sites still work OK. I started up with my
    >>> firewall off and it still happens. Any ideas???
    >>> Frank
    >>>

    >> hosts file, some program running in the background, proxy????
    >>

    > What application is your software firewall? Zone Alarm runs a hidden
    > process that has to be killed to fully stop it's activity. Closing the
    > toolbar user interface does not fully turn off the firewall.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.

  7. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    Tbird Leader Frank radioed the tower , On 12/4/2006 3:46 PM:
    > My firewall is System Suite 7. It seems to completely go away when I kill
    > mxtask. I did some more testing and it seems that the only sites that quit
    > working are the non-secure ones (http) while the secure ones (https) like
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/ still work OK.
    > Frank
    > "Ron K." wrote in message
    > news:grGdnZcUu4xkGO7YnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    >> Tbird Leader Heavens to Murgatroid radioed the tower , On 12/3/2006 9:16
    >> PM:

    >>> hosts file, some program running in the background, proxy????
    >>>

    >> What application is your software firewall? Zone Alarm runs a hidden
    >> process that has to be killed to fully stop it's activity. Closing the
    >> toolbar user interface does not fully turn off the firewall.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ron K.

    Please bottom post in the groups on the news.mozilla.com server. It is
    a useful aid to tracking suggestions and results during trouble shooting.

    I ran into the exact same HTTP vs. HTTPS access issue when I had
    remanents of a bad uninstall of Zone Alarm 6.1. Took me days to find
    the offending *.DLL file that was killing just the HTTP access. You
    definatly have a firewall issue that is impacting the HTTP. Suggest a
    news group or tech support for the firewall to get it running right.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  8. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    I also just uninstalled the Zonealarm firewall. Do you remember the name of
    the .dll file???
    Frank
    "Ron K." wrote in message
    news:y_6dnX6R0LzvJOnYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Tbird Leader Frank radioed the tower , On 12/4/2006 3:46 PM:
    >> My firewall is System Suite 7. It seems to completely go away when I
    >> kill mxtask. I did some more testing and it seems that the only sites
    >> that quit working are the non-secure ones (http) while the secure ones
    >> (https) like https://addons.mozilla.org/ still work OK.
    >> Frank
    >> "Ron K." wrote in message
    >> news:grGdnZcUu4xkGO7YnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>
    >>> Tbird Leader Heavens to Murgatroid radioed the tower , On 12/3/2006 9:16
    >>> PM:

    >>> What application is your software firewall? Zone Alarm runs a hidden
    >>> process that has to be killed to fully stop it's activity. Closing the
    >>> toolbar user interface does not fully turn off the firewall.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ron K.
    >>>

    > Please bottom post in the groups on the news.mozilla.com server. It is a
    > useful aid to tracking suggestions and results during trouble shooting.
    >
    > I ran into the exact same HTTP vs. HTTPS access issue when I had remanents
    > of a bad uninstall of Zone Alarm 6.1. Took me days to find the offending
    > *.DLL file that was killing just the HTTP access. You definatly have a
    > firewall issue that is impacting the HTTP. Suggest a news group or tech
    > support for the firewall to get it running right.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  9. Re: Unable to Connect in FF1508

    Tbird Leader Frank radioed the tower , On 12/5/2006 12:02 PM: \n
    > I also just uninstalled the Zonealarm firewall. Do you remember the name of
    > the .dll file???
    > Frank
    > "Ron K." wrote in message
    > news:y_6dnX6R0LzvJOnYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    >> Tbird Leader Frank radioed the tower , On 12/4/2006 3:46 PM:
    >>
    >>> My firewall is System Suite 7. It seems to completely go away when I
    >>> kill mxtask. I did some more testing and it seems that the only sites
    >>> that quit working are the non-secure ones (http) while the secure ones
    >>> (https) like https://addons.mozilla.org/ still work OK.
    >>> Frank
    >>> "Ron K." wrote in message
    >>> news:grGdnZcUu4xkGO7YnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >> Please bottom post in the groups on the news.mozilla.com server. It is a
    >> useful aid to tracking suggestions and results during trouble shooting.
    >>
    >> I ran into the exact same HTTP vs. HTTPS access issue when I had remanents
    >> of a bad uninstall of Zone Alarm 6.1. Took me days to find the offending
    >> *.DLL file that was killing just the HTTP access. You definatly have a
    >> firewall issue that is impacting the HTTP. Suggest a news group or tech
    >> support for the firewall to get it running right.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ron K.
    >> Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

    It was a DLL with a name like vs****95.dll, though a serch for that name
    pattern vs*.dll may catch three or four other ZA related leftovers.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

+ Reply to Thread