Favicon Picker - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Favicon Picker - Mozilla ; Hello. I'm using Favicon Picker 2 0.3.4.1 for Firefox 2.0. I know a lot of you use this add-on, so I have a question. It does NOT work with .ico files - I choose the file for the bookmark, and ...

  1. Favicon Picker

    Hello. I'm using Favicon Picker 2 0.3.4.1 for Firefox 2.0. I know a lot
    of you use this add-on, so I have a question.

    It does NOT work with .ico files - I choose the file for the bookmark,
    and nothing happens.
    However, it DOES work with other icon formats (PNG, JPG, etc), if they
    are icon-sized.

    I tried both downloaded .ico files, and I made some of my own, and they
    never work.
    Unfortunately, the other icon formats (which DO get imported correctly
    with F.P.) don't look as good - they get all jaggy. So I want to get
    the .ico ones to work.

    Does anyone else have this problem, or know a solution?

    I use XP. Thanks!

    -Jon

  2. Re: Favicon Picker

    jonathan.held@gmail.com in news:1162512239.699631.216320@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com:

    > Hello. I'm using Favicon Picker 2 0.3.4.1 for Firefox 2.0. I know a lot
    > of you use this add-on, so I have a question.

    tried it briefly maybe one year ago :-) too much of a luxury for me to keep as an extension.

    > It does NOT work with .ico files - I choose the file for the bookmark,
    > and nothing happens.
    > However, it DOES work with other icon formats (PNG, JPG, etc), if they
    > are icon-sized.
    >
    > I tried both downloaded .ico files, and I made some of my own, and they
    > never work.
    > Unfortunately, the other icon formats (which DO get imported correctly
    > with F.P.) don't look as good - they get all jaggy. So I want to get
    > the .ico ones to work.
    >
    > Does anyone else have this problem, or know a solution?

    try converting ico files to gif or png with irfanview or similar.
    i think png offers option of transparent background.

    if a site has an icon, sometimes it's directly downloadable via firefox menu:
    Tools>Page Info, Media tab, "Save" (button)

    example:
    can download
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/favicon.ico
    at
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/

    --
    Using Xnews, Mr.Tran's googoomuck nntp client: http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/

  3. Re: Favicon Picker

    I don't have any problems with .ico files in Favicon Picker 2...whatsoever.

    Do you make your own icons? If so, what tool and/or process do you use?
    You may be creating icons that are not universally readable...not true .ico
    format.

+ Reply to Thread