both FF versions on same machine? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on both FF versions on same machine? - Mozilla ; Can I use both FF versions installed on the same machine in different catalogs with different profiles? I confirm problems after upgrading 1.5.0.7 to 2.0, but all problems disappeared when I launched FF 2.0 with new profile: start->run: firefox.exe -profilemanager ...

  1. both FF versions on same machine?

    Can I use both FF versions installed on the same machine in different
    catalogs with different profiles?

    I confirm problems after upgrading 1.5.0.7 to 2.0, but all problems
    disappeared when I launched FF 2.0 with new profile:
    start->run: firefox.exe -profilemanager

    Best,
    Blazejos

  2. Re: both FF versions on same machine?

    Blazej Marciniak wrote:
    > Can I use both FF versions installed on the same machine in different
    > catalogs with different profiles?
    >
    > I confirm problems after upgrading 1.5.0.7 to 2.0, but all problems
    > disappeared when I launched FF 2.0 with new profile:
    > start->run: firefox.exe -profilemanager

    Yes, you MUST use a different profile for each version. Also, you can
    only run one version at a time.

  3. Re: both FF versions on same machine?

    Blazej Marciniak wrote, On 11/2/2006 12:11 PM:
    > Can I use both FF versions installed on the same machine in different
    > catalogs with different profiles?
    >
    > I confirm problems after upgrading 1.5.0.7 to 2.0, but all problems
    > disappeared when I launched FF 2.0 with new profile:
    > start->run: firefox.exe -profilemanager

    Yes. Make sure you install the programs in separate directories -
    you'll have to choose the "Custom" install to do that. I ran 1.5.0.7 on
    the same machine as the 2.0 beta and RCs. Two down sides though:
    1. You can't run both versions at the same time.
    2. Extensions, themes, bookmarks, cookies, etc. aren't "shared" between
    the 2 profiles

  4. Re: both FF versions on same machine?

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > 1. You can't run both versions at the same time.

    You CAN run both version at the same time by setting the environment
    variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE to 1

    See
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_up...opment_profile

  5. Re: both FF versions on same machine?

    Blazej Marciniak wrote:
    > Can I use both FF versions installed on the same machine in different
    > catalogs with different profiles?
    >
    > I confirm problems after upgrading 1.5.0.7 to 2.0, but all problems
    > disappeared when I launched FF 2.0 with new profile:
    > start->run: firefox.exe -profilemanager
    >
    > Best,
    > Blazejos

    I new profile, while not usually necessary, is never a bad idea,
    especially when changing versions.

+ Reply to Thread